Home

TheSinner.net

the stupid and the obvious

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby [James] on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting holden caulfield from 21:27, 1st Feb 2007
Quoting Manic23 from 21:07, 1st Feb 2007
Quoting Manic23 from 02:41, 1st Feb 2007
I'm sure it's been posted before, but how does one work out how they did in the exam from the overall grade they achieved? My history exam was 60% weighted against 40% C.A., so I'm just curious to know...

Please someone answer if you know - I'm dying to find out!

If the exam is 60%, divide the overall mark by 10 then times by 6

Err... no.

e = (m - 0.4c)/0.6

where
c = average continuous assessment grade
m = module grade
e = exam grade.

[hr]

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
[James]

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:57 am

Does anybody know how likely it is that there could have been a basic admin error when entering your exam results into the system i.e. entering a 6 instead of a 16 or literally just entering someone else's mark?

In one module I walked into the exam with 18.5 (from essays - worth 50% of the overall mark) and worked out that in the exam I only got a 10.1!

Bloody pissed off.
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby beeny on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:39 am

I'm just happy I passed two out of three!! (I'm back in first year) and that means I'm changing course - like I thought. Woooooooooooo.

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby OffHeGoes on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting SchizophrenicCabbage from 00:57, 2nd Feb 2007
Does anybody know how likely it is that there could have been a basic admin error when entering your exam results into the system i.e. entering a 6 instead of a 16 or literally just entering someone else's mark?

i wondered the same thing but in reverse after my results same time last year. think someone accidently entered 17 instead of 7.

i didn't say anything of course. i would hate to get any of the folk responsible for typing these up in trouble :)
OffHeGoes

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:01 am

Heh, i've been kinda wondering if they managed to mix my results up considering i managed to do best in my worst subject and worst in my best. But you'd think they'd check these things thoroughly before they go up.

Not that i would put it past them not to right enough :-P

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:45 pm

I was told it was

e=(t x 100)-(C x 40)/60

where
e = exam mark
t = total grade
c = average CA

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby [James] on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting nighteyes from 13:45, 2nd Feb 2007
I was told it was

e=(t x 100)-(C x 40)/60

where
e = exam mark
t = total grade
c = average CA

You're right, that works too and gives the same answer. It's actually the same equation.

Your equation simplifies to:

(100t - 40c)/60

Which is just mine multiplied by 100:

(t - 0.4c)/0.6

[hr]

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
[James]

Re:

Postby Magus on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting AuZ from 01:14, 1st Feb 2007
Dear oh dear !!! I WANT TO KNOW !!! Why can't they just publish a list !!! It quicker and easier !!

Back in the good old days they were posted in departments, and also posted out individually. Hall breakfast on result day was interesting...

[hr]

When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
Magus

Re:

Postby Icarus on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:11 pm

Is there anything you can do if you feel you've been unfairly marked down in your exam? I calculated that to get the overall mark that I did in one subject, I had to have done pretty poorly in the exam given how strong my coursework was going in, and I know it sounds like hubris but frankly I know I wrote a pretty good exam. Or is there even any way your tutor is allowed to talk through your exam with you to tell you why you got the mark you did so you can do better in the future? I've got an awful feeling that I've been screwed because of my piss poor handwriting.
Icarus

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:26 pm

I emailed the director of teaching for psychology to ask about having a look at my paper and he recommended reading the generic feedback that they post up after exams - do all the departments do that?

Might be worth having a look at if they do before you insist that they have given you a low mark you don't deserve :-) Especially considering this is St Andrews and thus even seeing your exam paper will cost you money (£10 to be exact).

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby sqril on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:31 pm

I didn't even know you could get to see your exam paper! But why charge?!? do other unis do that does anyone know?
It’s been this way from the start
Everybody walking round with holes in the heart
Everybody holding up skies in the dark
As the stars keep falling
sqril

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:11 pm

My brother's a first year at Edinburgh and they will quite happily show him his exam paper for free and discuss where he went wrong. I'm assuming that it's a uni wide policy though i don't know if the same holds true for any other year group.

[hr]

--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:02 pm

orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:29 pm

I would rather like to have a look at my papers - Thalia do you know if its the department or the general office you go through to do that? Oh and do they charge per paper or would my tenner let me look at all my papers?
I asked about seeing my second year scripts at the start of the year and I was told by a lecturer I was not allowed to. Humph!

[hr]

nighteyes

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:55 pm

You are very much allowed to.

But you used to not be allowed to and the university still doesn't like to do it.

Go talk to Laura Wilson at the Union, because she probably has to do the annual "remind lecturers that students ARE allowed to look at their past papers" ritual.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:45 pm

I really ought to try this, i have always wondered how some of my papers went.

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:49 pm

test

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby tvstolemysoul on Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:00 am

Is there any way to check your results on the exam proper? My results seem so incorrect that I suspect a mix-up. While I passed in my subjects, my maths grade is so low that as far as I can tell, I would've needed a 40% or so (allowing room for yearly changes in the cut-off points) on the exam. I was under the impression that it was impossible to pass the course and fail the exam.
tvstolemysoul

Re:

Postby Backtothebubble on Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting offhegoes from 02:53, 2nd Feb 2007

i wondered the same thing but in reverse after my results same time last year. think someone accidently entered 17 instead of 7.

i didn't say anything of course. i would hate to get any of the folk responsible for typing these up in trouble :)

Haha, well from yesterdays results, someone has put that I recieved a grade 128, obviously instead of 12.8 but I'm still happy! :)
Backtothebubble

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:01 am

In one module I walked into the exam with 18.5 (from essays - worth 50% of the overall mark) and worked out that in the exam I only got a 10.1!

Bloody pissed off.

I know someone that actually did happen to, they queried it and got their proper grade. Surely worth a try, since if 18.5 was 50% of your grade, you would have scored below 5 in your exam, which I thought meant you automatically failed, no matter what the overall mark was.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board