Home

TheSinner.net

Why are you here?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby The Dude on Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:22 pm

I applied to Vasser College, Weslyan University, and The University of Chicago in the US and St. Andrews. I was duely rejected from Vasser and Weslyan though I was not particularly interested in thoes places. In Retrospect I only applied to Chicago because it was the best place I could have gotten into at the time. I did not like the idea of the core curiculum there so when I found out about the Medieval history department here I had made up my mind. I also could not get away from the fact that I would be in Europe. One of the best decitions I ever made.
The Dude

Re:

Postby bdw on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:55 am

A fanatical devotion to Northern Exposure.
bdw

Re:

Postby ShinyHappyPerson on Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting Frank from 03:00, 10th Feb 2007
Who are you?
What do you want?
Why are you here?
Where are you going?

I'm here because I was destined to see Babylon 5 here.

Well, aside from that...

Who do you serve and who do you trust?

[hr]

"its the best thing since instant mashed potato"
"its the best thing since instant mashed potato"
ShinyHappyPerson

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:29 pm

I came here for the only reason people come to St Andrews: Prince William

I'm lying. I'm also not an Oxbridge reject.

I love the town and it's very good for the course I'm doing (going by the leauge tabley things)

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:47 pm

I had six unconditionals, but I chose St Andrews because I liked the town, and it obviously had a real student culture going on.

It ended up as a toss-up between Glasgow and St Andrews. I went to the St Andrews visiting day on the Wednesday, and my mind was made up after the Glasgow one on the Saturday.

In fact, I like St Andrews so much I'm considering resitting the year to get into Honours (if my blagging fails to get me in next year as planned) rather than transferring my credits to somewhere else. I've not decided yet.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby The Penguin Of Death! on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:12 pm

I had it narrowed down to St Andrews and Durham, but after my St Andrews open day I just had that 'feeling'...it felt right and I knew I wanted to come here! Plus it's the best university in Scotland, and it was cheaper for me to stay in Scotland rather than head down south.
:-)
The Penguin Of Death!

Re:

Postby ienji on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:13 pm

Subject-wise (English & Modern Languages):

Science is too much like hard work.

They're easy. You can usually make up the answers.

I like the idea of literature. Literature itself is a bit of a pain in the arse.

University-wise:

Oxford reject.

Good reputation for Spanish.

I like the sea.

High entry standards.

I thought I might meet some interesting people. St. Andrews seemed a bit wacky.
ienji

Re:

Postby BeccaLydia on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:08 pm

I am also an Oxford reject, but like others have said I'm sure that this was for the best - I would never have had such a great time there. Also, league tables played a huge role. For my UCAS form I looked at the Times for Ancient History and Archaeology league tables, cross-checked them and came up with 6 choices, all in the top 15. Another deciding factor was that I have never lived in a city before and thought that here would be good middle ground before braving London.

Even having changed my degree to Ancient History with Linguistics and had a rubbish second year, I have had the best time of my life here and wouldn't really change any of it. It's very sad to think that this is my last semester, but it's time to move on and I do so with many happy memories and in the hope that I still have time to make even more here before June.

Edit: I also chose the unis I applied to according to distance from the sea and greatest distance from home - although that made no difference as my parents moved abroad anyway!
[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100244
BeccaLydia

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:22 am

Wesleyan?

I can actually picture you there, but you'd be just one of many there instead of your uniqueness you've got going for you in St Andrews. Smart as hell, those kids, but they make you look conservative straight edge.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby obsessiveBecca on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:30 pm

I ended up here through utter randomness. A friend of mine had mentioned St Andrews and I needed a sixth university on the list so i just stuck it down on a whim. It was only after being rejected by my first choice (Durham) and suffering the ritual humiliation of becoming a proud oxford reject that I actually picked up and read the prospectus. Thank god they gave me an offer after that!
obsessiveBecca

Re:

Postby Luciano on Tue May 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Twice Cambridge reject. Good for Spanish (after Cambridge dammit :P). My father went to St Andrews. Good exchanges with the US. Family nearby. Fond memories of Scotland. Yes that's about it...
Luciano

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Wed May 02, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm here because I needed a sixth place on the UCAS list and St Andrews was the only uni that offered a bespoke Modern History course with English. Plus, it was far away from home... most of my friends didn't want to leave Wales but I believe it's important to break away and see new places so St Andrews was about as far away as I could get within the UK. Plus, the added benefit was I didn't know anyone who had ever studied in Scotland, let alone St Andys, so it was a good foundation for making new friends.

Never thought I'd make it here because my AS grades were only average, but somehow bumped them up to As by A-level and thus got the grades needed to get in here.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby novium on Wed May 02, 2007 4:43 pm

I am not exactly sure. Really. I am here because it seemed like a good at the time. I did a JYA here, so I guess I knew the place, and the school. But how I ended up doing my JYA here, I am not entirely sure either. I wanted to go to the United Kingdom, Ireland, or Germany. I chickened out of germany- I took one too many german classes, so I couldn't take the language based JYA- it would have been straight into the regular university classes, in german.
For some reason, I decided on scotland. There were 6 choices for scotland, I really only knew St Andrews, since the university had sent me a brochure back when I was in high school.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Marit on Thu May 03, 2007 9:49 am

I'm here because St Andrews was one of the very few universities that would let me study the history of mathematics, and I didn't want to go to Oxford or Cambridge (if I'd gotten in at all, which I probably wouldn't).
Marit

Re:

Postby kats on Thu May 03, 2007 11:22 am

I'm here purely by coincidence as well actually. I am from Switzerland and have done all my schooling in Switzerland, but wanted to study in English which left the USA and the UK. The USA was a little too far away and so I narrowed it down to the UK. England's 3 year course was interesting, but I wasn't entirely sure of what I wanted to do. My parents pushed St Andrews and I though oh why not - and I am SO happy I did it!! I LOVED the university so much :) I graduated with an MA in geography (human geography) with some of the most caring and helpful professors you can imagine. I had SUCH a great time there and miss it so much!!

I did Geography because I was good at it in highschool and really enjoy health and culture and population issues :)
kats

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board