Home

TheSinner.net

Disappointment towards Uni Hall

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Disappointment towards Uni Hall

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:03 am

Was anyone else severely disheartened by the number of Uni Hall residents who left the Mr St Andrews competition after their candidate was eliminated? It seemed very poor sportsmanship to me.

Congrats Mr DRA, you earned it!

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby lizzie_liz on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:44 am

I agree, it was very dissapointing, and it was almost the end of the show.
I am an ex uni haller who was sat with them last night supporting mr uni hall but i along with a my mates who are still there remained to the end to see Mr DRA crowned Mr St Andrews, and well done to him.
lizzie_liz

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Absolutely, Uni Hall displayed that they were not only a bunch of cocks for acting like t**ts during the event with their over-cheering and booing, but to leave when their entrant was eliminated shows that they really are poor losers. Thank goodness their guy didn't get through!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby The Penguin Of Death! on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:33 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 15:10, 13th Feb 2007
Absolutely, Uni Hall displayed that they were not only a bunch of cocks for acting like t**ts during the event with their over-cheering and booing, but to leave when their entrant was eliminated shows that they really are poor losers. Thank goodness their guy didn't get through!

[hr]

That's taking it a bit far I think!
As one of the "t**ts" who was there last night, we were simply supporting Mr Uni Hall, and having some fun! It is, after all, only a fun, silly competition being run in aid of charity.

I personally don't think people should have left before the end or booed other contestants, it's just rude, but then there are always people who are going to do that. I'm sure there were other people who left when their nominee was eliminated!
It's unfair to brand Uni Hall in general with the bad reputation! We live in a great hall, with lots of hall spirit, and we like to support anyone who is representing us.

Will did a great job to get so far in the competition, and it's unreasonable for Box_Of_Delights to say that he shouldn't have gotten through.
The Penguin Of Death!

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:43 pm

If the hall left because their entrant was eliminated right before the end, then it suggest a pretty strong example of poor sportsmanship to not stay and support the rest of the contenders and gives the hall a bad impression... as displayed by the original posters' creation of this thread. If that sort of sour grapes behaviour is evident when your entrant got almost through to the end your hall didn't deserve to win... I didn't intend to suggest the guy himself was not deserving of the prize because he did well, it was his hall 'supporters' who appear to let the side down.

And cheering is one thing, but correct me I'm wrong, but an awful lot of the booing (e.g. for Mr JBH) was coming from the Uni Hall contingent. It may have been pantomime, but still. If it is all just a fun night for charity, then there was no cause for the hall crowd to skidaddle when they lost. [img]littleicons/yellowhappyface.gif[/img]

[hr]

box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting The Penguin Of Death! from 19:33, 13th Feb 2007
I personally don't think people should have left before the end or booed other contestants, it's just rude, but then there are always people who are going to do that. I'm sure there were other people who left when their nominee was eliminated!
It's unfair to brand Uni Hall in general with the bad reputation!

I agree, but unfortunately Uni Hall has a reputation for turning out in massive numbers to Mr St Andrews, which is great, but has the result that you're a very conspicuous group, particularly in your yellow and black uniform! So when a large group of Uni Hall members left after having been so vocal and involved it sent out a very poor image of your hall as a whole. I don't think it helped that Mr St Andrews 2006 was one of yours either, as the walk-out then implied a certain arrogance and disdain for the organisers, which personally upset me as a lot of people, including me and people close to me, put an awful lot of voluntary hours into the event.

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Albany on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:05 pm

That sounds pretty bad sportsmanship to me. I've been in situations like that before, and it's quite frankly a horrible experience if you're left up there, or even if you're not, but have the decency to hang about.

But personally I'm more concerned that Mr Albany was unelected by the people who BOTHERED to turn up to the Albany Xmas bop where the real Mr Albany was selected.

The fraud who was there tonight was not even in the losers from the selection.

Questions need to be answered. Why was he there? Who selected him?
Albany

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:53 pm

We all know why he was there and who selected him...and if you don't i'm sure you can guess...

Quoting Albany from 03:18, 13th Feb 2007
That sounds pretty bad sportsmanship to me. I've been in situations like that before, and it's quite frankly a horrible experience if you're left up there, or even if you're not, but have the decency to hang about.

But personally I'm more concerned that Mr Albany was unelected by the people who BOTHERED to turn up to the Albany Xmas bop where the real Mr Albany was selected.

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby inshaala on Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:34 pm

an organiser just put him in at the last moment - he was in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time it seems: he was playing snooker when some of the contestants went into the snooker room to take their shots for the programme and they asked him if he would step in for Mr Albany. I know the guy but dont know who the people in question were because when he told me no names were mentioned...

[hr]

Ich will dass ihr mich versteht
Ich will dass ihr mich versteht
inshaala

Re:

Postby ONeill on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Well if you pay your money and invest your time watching something that is being considered a contest you are entitled to respond how you wish within reason. Cheering and booing is common place in a contest and a stony silence is treated as much as booing. If people want to walk then it is their right to choose to do so. Every week at sporting events up and down the country people choose to leave early. I've never understood why myself because even when my team/individual is well beaten I like to stay and get my moneys worth, but it is their choice and we have to allow for that.
ONeill

Re:

Postby mhuzzell on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:56 am

I think the basic problem was that the event simply went on for far too long If it lasted, say, 1.5 or 2 hours, doubtless nearly everyone would have stayed to the end.

People were leaving throughout the performance; Uni Hall was only particularly noticed because we sat as a group and mostly wore yellow and black. And people were not leaving just because Will had been eliminated... many were ready to leave long before that, and only stayed as long as they did because they wanted to support their friend.

That said, I did stay to the end, since leaving early, well, seemed kind of rude.
I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Re:

Postby lizzie_liz on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:55 pm

Quoting mhuzzell from 02:56, 18th Feb 2007
I think the basic problem was that the event simply went on for far too long If it lasted, say, 1.5 or 2 hours, doubtless nearly everyone would have stayed to the end.

People were leaving throughout the performance; Uni Hall was only particularly noticed because we sat as a group and mostly wore yellow and black. And people were not leaving just because Will had been eliminated... many were ready to leave long before that, and only stayed as long as they did because they wanted to support their friend.

That said, I did stay to the end, since leaving early, well, seemed kind of rude.

I agree the event did seem to drag on, you could have it done in 2 hours.
I was getting fed up by the end and will not be going to another one again.
lizzie_liz

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:01 am

I think like others have said, organisers asked the Mr Albany for the show to be in it, but only because the elected Mr Albany didn't want to take part in the end.

[hr]

veni vidi nates calce concidi - i came, i saw, i kicked ass
veni vidi nates calce concidi - i came, i saw, i kicked ass
grousefanatic

Return to The Sinner's Main Board