Home

TheSinner.net

RockVault

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

RockVault

Postby Spike on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Thursday in venue 2 there will be a FREE rock event for all. Please not this is NOT associated to rocksoc, but instead has been put on by the entertainments committee due to high interest in such an event.

Spike (and Mohawk)
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:54 pm

Will the bar actually be open? Cos when it's a free event in venue 1 it rarely is :-P

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby orudge on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:03 pm

As far as I know the bar should be open. And the bar is usually open for events in venue 1 (e.g., the Tuesday bop) - if it's not, it's either due to understaffing or due to something like theatre using the beer bar. ;)

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby pea on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:16 pm

Rock "event"? As in a Rock bop, for want of a better term?

[hr]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:35 pm

just to clear things up this Event is in Venue 2,

It will be similar to a normal Rocksoc Disco, but without so much heavy/death metal i've secured the bar, and we'll be playing all the old favourites.

If theres something you want played, bring in a CD and we'll see if we can slot it in

Cheers

Grahame
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:14 pm

There's not that much metal at rocksoc - we just happen to have a few djs who really like it :-P

Will this just be like classic rock or will there be some punk, modern rock etc. mixed in?

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:44 pm

theres going to be a little bit of everything,

my rock collection is numbering around 200 legal cds, and has everything from iron maiden to metallica to murderdolls to M.Manson to Dead Kennedy's, to Reel big fish to Zeppelin to The Clash to Rainbow to Placebo etc. etc.

you get the idea, and along with any other contributions people feel like making. i'm sure it will be an excellent night.

Grahame
Mohawk

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:01 am

I haven't attended RockSoc much this year, but this is a bit off lads.

Total abuse of power.

Thursday is the day of RockSoc, the affiliated university rock music appreciation society who have to pay to use Venue 2.

You start something called "RockVault", on a Thursday. You get this because you work on Ents ( and have some kind of personal vendetta against the affiliated university rock music appreciation society ) and you make it free - which isn't even an option for the affiliated society.

This actually sickens me.

If people were so "interested in a night like this" why didn't all of these people vote at the RockSoc elections?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:22 am

so we shall see you tonight then Andy?

no in all seriousness,

we were wanting to go along to rocksoc and were a little bit disappointed to find it cancelled, it first started out as me and gavin going to sit up in venue 2 drinking and listening to some music, but then we realised there may be other people wanting to go out and avoid karaoke etc.

this is most likely a ONE OFF EVENT, which is using dead space in the union and making use of the extra staff already employed for the evening because rocksoc cancelled at short notice.

i can assure you i have absolutely no personal vendetta with rocksoc, and i think the committee are doing a Fucking Excellent job, and i have the greatest respect for them all, especially Jez!

we cannot charge for this event as we are not allowed to, and it would make it all the more complicated,

this event is not designed to replace rocksoc, merely to allow those people who wanted to go to a rock disco this week to do so, think of it as a big early birthday party in venue 2 organised by Gavin and myself, it's going to be his birthday soon!
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Spike on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:53 am

was his birthday....cheers for remembering babe!

and andy just to clarify some more. the reason we are putting this on is to allow the rockers a one off event to come and chill at the union. I also think that rocksoc this year is possibly one of the best years i have known and i believe that the committee are doing a great job! as mohawk said this is merely filling venue down-time
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:39 am

Just to clarify Rocksoc wasn't cancelled this week we very rarely do something every week. It's pretty much always been "club night" one week, week off/pub crawl/small gathering the next if anything. Since we had two large events in a row we thought a week off to relax recuperate, recharge and save some cash would be a good idea. I'm considering Hot Fuzz again tomorrow night personally.

[hr]

Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:00 am

ty for the clarification Jez,

but was wednesday night considered by yourself as an actual Rocksoc event? and not merely a Ragweek one which just so happened to be run by rocksoc?

i was a bit perplexed to find it on the wednesday night, which due to previous commitments on wednesday evenings i was unable to attend,

I've heard that Grampa Graeme may well be jockeying the discs on the next rocksoc, is this true?

p.s. if you do go to Hot Fuzz, let me know how good it is :)
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Mohawk from 02:00, 22nd Feb 2007
ty for the clarification Jez,

but was wednesday night considered by yourself as an actual Rocksoc event? and not merely a Ragweek one which just so happened to be run by rocksoc?

i was a bit perplexed to find it on the wednesday night, which due to previous commitments on wednesday evenings i was unable to attend,

I've heard that Grampa Graeme may well be jockeying the discs on the next rocksoc, is this true?

p.s. if you do go to Hot Fuzz, let me know how good it is :)

Well we considered it real enough not to have one this week. It was certainly very busy, and it just seemed prudent to have a week off, having suffered "Rocksoc burnout" in years past.

Well I spoke to Grehame briefly on Valentine's Day, but he hasn't followed it up so we'll see.

And I've already seen Hot Fuzz and it's awesome. Think Agatha Christie being buttfucked by Michal Bay. Hell it's good enough for me to want to see it again.

[hr]

Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting Mohawk from 02:00, 22nd Feb 2007
But was wednesday night considered by yourself as an actual Rocksoc event? and not merely a Ragweek one which just so happened to be run by rocksoc?

You win at semantics.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:52 am

Fair enough, I based my post on the structure and content on yours and the previous discontent within RockSoc. (eXs or whatever it was called and one other lot I can't remember)

I have highlighted some of the words and phrases which it make it seem anti-RockSoc

Quoting Spike from 18:28, 21st Feb 2007
Thursday in venue 2 there will be a FREE rock event for all. Please not this is NOT associated to rocksoc, but instead has been put on by the entertainments committee due to high interest in such an event.

Spike (and Mohawk)

For instance, why was there a note saying that this isn't related to RockSoc and why was the not capitalised?

Anyway, good luck with your night. It does actually sound like it might be fun but unfortunately I have other commitments.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:57 am

Isn't that dude across the street going to go apeshit again over loud devil music coming from venue 2, three weeks in a row?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:42 am

theres things that can be done to limit the volume of venue 2 but still make it seem louder.

tonight you have two members of ents crew with explicit knowledge of the venue two sound system and how it responds to various inputs from the desk. through compresiom amd equalisers.
Mohawk

Re:

Postby trouble on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting Mohawk from 10:42, 22nd Feb 2007

tonight you have two members of ents crew with explicit knowledge of the venue two sound system and how it responds to various inputs from the desk. through compresiom amd equalisers.

and what about a knowledge of good music mr bop dj??

[hr]

"Let's play master and servant."

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100566
trouble

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:14 am

Quoting trouble from 10:46, 22nd Feb 2007
Quoting Mohawk from 10:42, 22nd Feb 2007

lol...

[hr]

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting trouble from 10:46, 22nd Feb 2007

you think i like the stuff i play in the bop?

if i wanted to play metal/rock in the bop i would but whenever i do try to go even a bit heavier i get asked by the staff and the punters to play something more "cheesey"

Tuesday i managed to sneak in some marilyn manson and some iron maiden and a bit of guns n' roses.

my CD collection of rock is about 50% bigger than the ones i;m under duress to use in the bop.

tonight is a chance to let myself explore my favourite genre with like minded people and its all about having fun
Mohawk

Return to The Sinner's Main Board