Home

TheSinner.net

New Union

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Zak on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:13 am

'Venue 3' as you put it would be ideal as long as its soundproofed and suitable for live bands. In Venue 2, Rocksoc are forever getting complaints and being told to turn it down, yet we dont want to and im sure the Union doesnt want us to either (its that guy with the B&B).

A soundproofed or at least protected room where music can be played loud and live music can go on would be an awesome investment. I think the live music scene within St Andrews would grow is there was such a place to use. Venue 2 in terms of space is adequate for something like Rocksoc and other society socials but the inability to have live bands/loud music till the wee hours in it is a drag, especially considering venue 1 is so big smaller societies can't hire it out as easily.

Another point in the improvement plan is the hiring of a professional light/sound technician. Personally i think thats a great idea, one in my opinion that should have happened a fair while ago. ENTS are enthusiastic and do try hard but they're not paid and arent trained in the usage, maintenance etc of all the equipment. They can also be incredibly slow, moody and not bother doing anything when it suits them. A professional hand on the team who knows whats expected of them, who can soundcheck a band in under 3 hours (ahem) and get it all sorted out would just make using Venue 1 so much easier and less of a stress.

Such a shame it wont happen for a fair few years.

[hr]

Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Zak

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:39 am

Absolutely - Kopparberg pear cider - I have experience working in bars and last year Koppargerg sold out every night without fail. Plus, I've only seen the new look Drouthies sell it in this town.

Tom - I don't know what the logistics (both practically and commercially) are of this suggestion - but how would it work if the book selling outlet (currently Blackwells) was merged with BESS? I know that "back in the day" BESS was the one stop student bookstore/stationery seller, but apart from lack of space and possible inability to obtain cheapish books, I don't see the logic in two seperate ventures. I reckon for the benefit to both students and the business for the increased revenue a merged outlet would have, it is worth considering. Is there any way of Blackwells (or an independent book seller) being incorporated into the Association stationery store?

The idea of, literally, a "Book Exchange & Stationery Store" would undoubtedly be more successful than two seperate ventures with different opening times and (in Blackwells' case) less of an incentive to provide a student oriented service, being as it is a nationwide chain and not specific to St Andrews.

I know, logistically, this would take some planning, and without spending massive amounts and completely restructuring other services I don't know how it would work.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Mutley on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:11 am

Perhaps even and improvment on the newly furbished media suite. A fully soundproofed room with, audio and video edtiing equipment. But we have come along way so far so cant complain.

[hr]

So how is life, love and the endless pursuit of happiness?
So how is life, love and the endless pursuit of happiness?
Mutley

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:24 am

There are a few places sell Kopparberg in town now to be fair. It is available in offsales - also Drouthys, Westport, Aikmans, Mah Bells and the Lizard I've seen it.
papercutheart

Re:

Postby iydkmigthtky on Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:44 am

What about a music room, similar to the one in dra? but put a decent drumkit in though!
iydkmigthtky

Re:

Postby novium on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:21 pm

how about a sort of coffeehouse like place? Somewhere with a lot of big, comfortable chairs and sofas, some small tables and stools, maybe a piano...somewhere to chill, where you could play jazz maybe, maybe have a coffee bar.
It doesn't have to be an actual coffeehouse (we have lots of coffeeshops here, but nowhere where you can just sit back and relax/study/chat in that kind of cool, comfortable environment.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby unregistered on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting Telinar from 19:31, 22nd Feb 2007
Bowling alley sounds cool, and I agree with Frank, we need a Lazer Quest basement ;). But where would you build this Super-Union? Surely the current site wouldn't be big enough to accomodate it and there's nowhere else central enough for it, or are you planning on more stories to the building? Also, would a bigger Beaton's be incorporated into this and not just an addon to the bar?

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240

Please don't tell me the new super-union is going to be built in the middle of nowhere...
unregistered

Re:

Postby Laura on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Just to remind everyone that the Students' Association AGM is happening this Tuesday (27th) at 6pm in Venue 1, where there will be not only the opportunity to question your elected representatives, but time set aside to canvas your views on the strategic plan and the future of the union.

[hr]

"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:50 pm

Quoting unregistered from 19:38, 22nd Feb 2007

Please don't tell me the new super-union is going to be built in the middle of nowhere...

St Andrews is more the end of nowhere.
Al

Re:

Postby Dardar on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Papercutheart – Kopparberg, yes, it’s rather nice isn’t it. There are lots of flavours too – I’d really like to try the Blueberry and Pear one. I think we serve it in Offsales, but I will put the idea forward to Sandy and Dave, and, if we’re lucky, we should be serving it behind the main bar within a month. Will keep you posted on developments. I believe they serve it in Golf Place as well.

Trouble – There will indeed be at least one more venue – but I’m afraid we just don’t have the space for Lazerquest.

Zak – while we are not sure yet, we believe the new venue will be a bit smaller than Venue 1, and slightly larger than Venue 2… and it will be soundproofed. At a guess, it will probably be built behind venue 1, and linked to it somehow.

I am glad that you like the idea of a professional technician.

Box_of_delights – An interesting idea. We hadn’t even considered this, but, as you say, there might be considerable logistical problems. Would an independent retailer be prepared to share a combined space with our stationary store? I don’t know. They would certainly need a bigger space if they were to share. I’ll look into it.

Mutley & Iydkmigthtky – a music room is an excellent idea. 44% of students at this University played some sort of musical instrument or sang before they came to St Andrews. We don’t really do enough for them, either as a University, or as a Students’ Association. In our defence, we don’t really have the space at present… but I really like your idea and will try to include a point about music in the final chapter on Student Development and Activities. I will be speaking to Lee Kane about this on Monday, and expect to see something in the final plan. We would probably put any audio and video editing equipment in here – although I am fairly sure we have some… but I might be wrong.

Novium – as someone who had never had any sort of coffee before I started this job (and am not addicted), I’m not entirely sure of the difference between a coffeshop and a coffeehouse. The New Beatons may well end up something like this, but I doubt it… it is far more likely we turn The Old Union Diner into something along these lines. Lob a piano in there, if we can, and get budding young musicians to play quietly in the background while you sip on some coffee and work. Graeme Hamilton had plans along these lines at the start of the year. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Unregistered User – The New Union will be developed on our existing site. This is crucial. Nobody wants to trek 20 minutes down to the North Haugh in the rain on a cold December night. We believe where we are at the minute is perfect.
Dardar

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:23 pm

Quoting Al from 14:50, 24th Feb 2007
St Andrews is more the end of nowhere.

The far end, at that!

In spite of my 'naysaying' eariler, this really does sound an excellent proposal as it sounds. Certainly there's nothing I'd quibble just yet!

An intriguing aspect, IMO, would be a non-fixed structure to the main venues and areas. Thus the Main bar could be 'remodelled' depending on what is required. Of course, this might be both difficult to manage and expensive, but it is something that could be considered to see if there's any value in it at all!

Additionally, the possibility of the Venue 1/3 overlap is one I'd thought of but hadn't heard anyone mention. Keep it such that you're fine to have them totally seperate, but having them suitably close so as to be able to allow for, say, a 'mega bop' in which two styles are going on, but in different rooms with access via a shared bar-area could perhaps work?

I dunno, perhaps splitting the 'bars', 'cafes' and such into areas with more distinct moods? I know the two main Edinburgh University unions (Potterrow and the larger/more-fancy one that's name I can't remember) are nicely 'modularised' (indeed being in seperate buildings).

Anyhow, I'm really just spouting words at the moment, there might be an idea or two in there...but don't expect one!

Frank

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby maenad on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:53 pm

I would like somewhere to relax and eat my lunch. As in, the lunch I made at home and brought into town to eat as I won't/can't pay for over-priced sandwiches/school dinners every day. In the winter it's too cold to sit outside, there's nowhere in my school building, you're not supposed to eat in the library and I think you're only allowed Beaton's food in the union.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby jcwacky on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:08 pm

With regards to drinks quality, is there any chance in getting some decent vodka in the Main Bar? I'm not expecting Grey Goose or Finlandia, but I would happily pay more to have the choice of Smirnoff over that disgusting cheap stuff you currently have. Obviously you could keep the cheap stuff as well, just have Smirnoff as an option, as I now refuse to drink Union vodka.

Also, what happened to Magners!? It's far superior over Gaymers, even if it is a bit more expensive.

My only other requests would be Kopparberg, but I see that is being looked into, and Smirnoff Norsk, which you did have at one point, although there is unlikely to be a large enough demand to justify stocking it.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
jcwacky

Re:

Postby A66 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Too add to the drink debate (sorry I know taking the thread away from topic).

Why can't we get one tap with a guest ale or if this is not possible a proper bitter (Boddingtons maybe?) on tap?
A66

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:32 pm

A single weekly-changeable 'Real Ale' tap would be very interesting too. Needn't even be a big line of them, but just having a varying one would certainly be interesting. My 'local'(or favoured) back home has this going on, changes it every so often, and sells for £2 a pint.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:55 pm

There are like 2 crates of Kopparberg glasses sitting in one of the store rooms...totally irrelevant I know but still...

Oh and on the suggestion that the Union could build up the way...I SERIOUSLY doubt if the foundations would be able to support another level...
[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting dardar from 15:22, 24th Feb 2007
Papercutheart – Kopparberg, yes, it’s rather nice isn’t it. There are lots of flavours too – I’d really like to try the Blueberry and Pear one. I think we serve it in Offsales, but I will put the idea forward to Sandy and Dave, and, if we’re lucky, we should be serving it behind the main bar within a month. Will keep you posted on developments. I believe they serve it in Golf Place as well.

I can't say I've tried that one. Has Pear/Apple/Blackberry/Witches Brew and that's it I do beleive.
papercutheart

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:25 pm

Gold plated urinals and ambrosia on tap are the order of the day. Although, in all seriousness, turning the roof of venue 1 into a beer garden would be awesome.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby [James] on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:37 pm

I'd like to see the TV room changed into something more cinema-like and less like a hospital waiting room.

[hr]

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
[James]

Re:

Postby Spike on Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting flarewearer from 20:25, 24th Feb 2007
...Although, in all seriousness, turning the roof of venue 1 into a beer garden would be awesome.

This is a great idea, but unfortunately it would be almost impossible to do this. this is due to all the metalwork and lights that are on the ceiling of venue 1. The problem arises due to the ceiling having a maximum load capacity that is annoyingly little due to the lack of internal support (ie columns), so the choice is to have a nice roof beer garden or pillars in the middle of venue one, and i think i already know which one bruce would choose.

Great idea though!
From Rock to Opera
Spike

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board