Home

TheSinner.net

New Union

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:47 pm

If you have worked for the union for 13 weeks or more you are entitles to join the university pension...well thats what it is for bar staff so I assume its the same for the permanent staff as well....

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:10 pm

Finances

• To prepare an annual report for the University and our members to demonstrate how the grant we are allocated is spent, how much we subsequently subsidise through our commercial operations, and how we would spend further monies to improve the student experience should the University wish to increase our budget (from May 2007)
• To seek a formal bilateral agreement with the University to explain why our grant is set at a particular level, and to explain what they expect us to provide for such at such a figure (ongoing)
I think this stuff’s pretty key (and am quite chuffed to see it’s made it from my suggestions in that meeting into the final document!). I’d perhaps add to the second one “and allow the negotiation for increases in the grant in return for improved services.”

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby MacMan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:19 pm

I'd just like to thank Tom for his reply earlier in the thread. He has put my mind at rest about several things that I (and probably others) were not too sure about. It must be challenging for him to reply to so many suggestions, so I bow in admiration.

To continue on the theme of drinks, I am a great believer in good beers and at the moment the Union seems to be swamped by every variety of Tennents. I don't have a problem with Tennents in particular, but it would be nice if one of the Tennants taps was replaced instead with a hand pump real ale. This would allow for guest ales from around Scotland and the UK (which are far far nicer to drink and enjoy than lager) to be sold. I am sure if the price was right then they would be very popular as I know many people here who enjoy real ale.

I heard recently that Dundee Union sells Deuchars (a good Scottish ale) for £1.60 a pint, which is the same price as a pint on Tennents lager here. I'm sure I don't need to say that Deuchars is far nicer than Tennents! It would be nice if we could follow their example.

T. Moffat
MacMan

Re:

Postby MacMan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:19 pm

I'd just like to thanks Tom for his reply earlier in the thread. I He has put my mind at rest about several things that I (and probably others) were not too sure about. It must be challenging for him to reply to so many suggestions, so I bow in admiration.

To continue on the theme of drinks, I am a great believer in good beers and at the moment the Union seems to be swamped by every variety of Tennents. I don't have a problem with Tennents in particular, but it would be nice if one of the Tennants taps was replaced instead with a hand pump real ale. This would allow for guest ales from around Scotland and the UK (which are far far nicer to drink and enjoy than lager) to be sold. I am sure if the price was right then they would be very popular as I know many people here who enjoy real ale.

I heard recently that Dundee Union sells Deuchars (a good Scottish ale) for £1.60 a pint, which is the same price as a pint on Tennents lager here. I'm sure I don't need to say that Deuchars is far nicer than Tennents! It would be nice if we could follow their example.

T. Moffat
MacMan

Re:

Postby Laura on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:27 pm

Just a reminder that tonight is the Students' Association AGM, where there will be a discussion on the Strategic Plan. 6pm, Venue 1.
We really want to get as much feedback and input from students as we possibly can, so it would be great if people could turn up and speak their minds!

[hr]

"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby rocky mountain on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:34 pm

Probably not since the Union's not being re-built, but any chance of a room (smaller than Venue 1) that has a non-concrete floor?
rocky mountain

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:15 pm

This would have been exactly the thing for the old Union board, there could have been multiple ones for the various aspects of the plan - much more 'buy in' from people who might not be able to (but of course want to) be at the AGM. But there is no Union board. Sigh.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Frank on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting rocky mountain from 12:34, 27th Feb 2007
Probably not since the Union's not being re-built, but any chance of a room (smaller than Venue 1) that has a non-concrete floor?

If there was a way of softening the floor of Venue 1, I'd be entirely happy too. I slid on some spilled drink and landed right on my arse-bone (actually, probably tail bone). But to put it mildly: it hurt for a week. Sitting down was not terribly pleasant for a long while afterwards.

Perhaps even only investing in cushions to be affixed to the arses of people attending drink-on-dance-floor events in Venue 1???

(Even just thinking about it hurts, unbelieveable!)

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting rocky mountain from 12:34, 27th Feb 2007

What type of floor then? A sprung floor for dancing and so forth?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Dardar on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 pm

Thalia – I think that this is a good idea – and I will look into the possibility of writing something to do with the garden in the plan. As it stands, there are quite a lot of things which could be happening to the garden anyway – the construction of a car park, access road and Venue 3 being three of the likelier. However, we will re-examine the possibility of a beer garden – incorporating the kind of ideas which you have suggested.

Dave – Wow – thanks for all of the comments and for the further suggestions made at the AGM last night. Really much appreciate. I have taken a lot of information on board from a lot of students (both through this thread, through emails, and through meeting them in person over the last few weeks, and we are not in a very good position to start making slight changes to the plan.

So everybody knows, there will be a meeting of the sabbaticals and senior staff tomorrow to discuss all of the big changes which have been put forward (and quite a lot of the smaller ones too). As such, what I intend to do is to see what happens at this meeting, and what changes will be subsequently made to the plan. I will then update the plan myself over the weekend, and upload the final plan onto the website on Monday. I will write down major changes (and minor changes which were suggested through this thread) on Tuesday here.

I’ll even let you know the result of the Kopparberg (and other drinks) conundrum - our ‘Senior Bar Manager’, Dave Whitton, has been off this week - hence, no reply already. I think you might be happy with the results…

Lastly, keep the ideas coming – you’ve still got a little bit of time! And thank you to all of the people for all of your ideas and comments to date… they really are truly useful to us. The Union belongs to the students, and we honestly, truthfully, want to make it as good for you as we possibly can with the resources available.

If any of you have any questions, about the strategic plan, or, indeed, anything about the Union, please do not hesitate to get into contact with me (pres@st-andrews.ac.uk).
Dardar

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Quoting dardar from 17:40, 28th Feb 2007

Don't call me Dave.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:28 pm

Are you kidding when you bristle about being called 'Dave'? After all, it's right there in your name - is it not something of a conceit to assume that everyone will automatically know who you are in real life? Especially given the Ts&Cs of the site.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:48 pm

You're kidding, right? I'm a legend, everyone should know my name. In fact that may not even be enough - if those of you reading this could start shouting 'Will Watson!!!' at climax, that would be super. Both men and women, I don't want to discriminate.

Ahem. Back to the topic before I threadjack this entirely...

I'll just come back to my earlier point about increased support from secretarial staff etc. Quite often, the head of secretariat will voice caution at some of our ideas. To be fair to him, he's usually in the right (and I do talk a tremendous amount of bollocks) but I suspect the difference between advising and steering is very slim and we're bound to be influenced by his take on events. It's a question I wanted to ask last night but I had to dash off - but I think you need to have a good hard think about it.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:59 pm

Indeed. I've often thought that the PS/FC position was a mistake - though I know the reasons why it was created. It seems to me that the Association could benefit from a permanent financial head as well as a permanent secretary - as distinct from the secretaries (though probably replacing one of them). I'd certainly encourage a long hard look at the role of the PS/FC before perpetuating the post after Campbell.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Dardar on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:41 pm

.... Kopparberg in the Union from next week (probably Tuesday)...
Dardar

Re:

Postby no use for a user name on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:22 pm

Quoting dardar from 16:41, 1st Mar 2007
.... Kopparberg in the Union from next week (probably Tuesday)...

And Ales?
no use for a user name

Re:

Postby theflirt on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:59 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 16:58, 22nd Feb 2007
Solar panels use more energy in their production than they can ever generate in their lifespan. Keep this in mind in your review.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!

Actually, after about 7 years Solar Panels begin to start saving money...it takes a while for the efficiency of a solar panel to be...efficient....
sorry, this may have been pointed out already but i have just read this post!

New union sounds good...but this is not going to happen over a year two anyways!

[hr]

oh pants
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby fernsehturm on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:11 pm

So people have been moaning about the price of drinks (ridiculous argument anyway considering they must be the cheapest in town) and yes it would be nice to have cheaper drink but how about a pay rise for the barstaff?
The hourly rate for barstaff is ridiculous, disrepectful and a disgrace. Yes, other bars pay staff minimum wage, but they are always expected to get tips. No exaggeration, you could expect to get on average 20p/week in tips in the Union, NO exaggeration.

Not to mention that we receive illegal breaks - 15mins no matter how long your shift is and it must be taken between 22:00 and 23:00 even if you start at 22:00 and finish at 02:30.

So, how about some respect?
fernsehturm

Re:

Postby MacMan on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:08 pm

Kopparberg, now thats more like it!
MacMan

Staff Wages

Postby fst on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:39 pm

Well, all these people have been talking about how expensive the prices are in the union etc. (not even true, it must be the cheapest in St As) anyway, what about a wage increase for the barstaff/doorstaff (etc.). The wage currently paid is disgraceful, it is disrespectful, insulting and a disgrace. You would think students would treat other students with more respect.
Other bars may pay similar amounts (I don't think they do) but other barstaff receive regular tips - I would say average tips at the union would total (much) less than ₤1/week, that is NO exaggeration.
fst

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board