Home

TheSinner.net

New Union

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Ellkie from 23:07, 8th Mar 2007
The Union bar has a contract with Tennents, thats why we have so many types of the stuff. We also don't have Magners for the same reason.

No it doesn't. But it buys its stock through the Northern Services purchasing consortium of which most (all?) Scottish student unions/associations are a member, and it's the agreements made by NS members at meetings several times per year that set fairly rigidly what gets sold. But I don't see what's to stop them saying "Actually, we don't sell much of Beer X, can we change it to something else instead?". I still don't call four types of Tennents "as varied a consumer choice ... as is commercially viable".
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby MacMan on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:29 am

I always thought the Union was contracted with Tennents since all the bar staff wear Tennents shirts and it is advertised all over the place. It is not good for it to be all one beer there though, it needs to be more diverse definitely.

And the union doesn't give the cheapest pint in town either. Go to the Raisin on Thursday evening and you can get Tennents, Tetley's and Carling for £1.00 a pint. Admittedly the Raisin is just about on a par with the Union in terms of venue quality, but at least there are comfy seats and good TV's there for sports.
MacMan

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting MacMan from 02:29, 9th Mar 2007
I always thought the Union was contracted with Tennents since all the bar staff wear Tennents shirts and it is advertised all over the place.

Aye, but in just over a week's time they'll be handing out Guinness hats hand over fist, and the place will be adorned in their merchandise as well. Unless something's changed :)

Edit: And now that I think about it, 'd far rather drink in the Union than the Raisin. I really hate that pub.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby macgamer on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:46 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 16:58, 22nd Feb 2007
Solar panels use more energy in their production than they can ever generate in their lifespan. Keep this in mind in your review.

Muchingfoo, could you please cite your source for that statement. I'm not being a sinner pedant, I am merely interested in reading the research myself.

Cheers.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 16:58, 22nd Feb 2007
Solar panels use more energy in their production than they can ever generate in their lifespan.

That is a myth. Heard some lady on the radio disspelling it a few weeks ago.

[hr]

'If something has to change then it always does'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board