Home

TheSinner.net

Does anyone else think this is ridiculous, or is it my fault?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Thalia on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting MacMan from 12:35, 13th Mar 2007
With any halls of residence there is either a night porter or a duty Warden working out-of-hours. The term "RA" is American and is not generally used in our halls.

I think you'll find that, at least in albany/fife/dra, there is an RA team and that is what they are called.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Garnet on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:59 pm

Quoting a66 from 13:39, 13th Mar 2007
You do realise that you've told a great proportion of the population of St Andrews that you don't lock your door. Anyone that knows who you are can find out where you live and now steal all your things.

yeah but you would need to get through the front door which is locked and then her housemates might be in, why not try her window... :P

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:20 pm

It is your fault, but they are being extremely horrible.

Re:

Postby MacMan on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:02 pm

I still think the term "Warden" is cooler. Sounds like a prison or POW camp!
MacMan

Re:

Postby Pedant on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:56 pm

Landlords must give 24 hours notice for access to your flat.
They are allowed to enter with less notice for emergencies (repairs etc), but should ask a police officer to accompany them (in case anything goes missing, they would have the legal backup).

The term RA (Residence Assistant) is used to describe members of staff who aren't part of the wardenial system (such as wardens/subwardens) but perform a similar role in regard to supervising the hall.
It may have originated in America, but it's being used by the University here.

Exercise common sense - keep your door locked when you're not in the house, and keep your keys with you at all times.
Anyone with responsibility for your room, safety and security would be sensible in locking your door. But they should also provide you with a procedure for gaining access to your room in such cases.
Pedant

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting a66 from 13:39, 13th Mar 2007
You do realise that you've told a great proportion of the population of St Andrews that you don't lock your door. Anyone that knows who you are can find out where you live and now steal all your things.

A bit like the sign on the Uni Hall main door that says something along the lines of "If you find this door locked, please don't force it, find another entrance". That tells me "THIS DOOR CAN BE FORCED".
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby MacMan on Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:11 am

Uni Hall is one of the most insecure buildings I have ever been in. Fortuantely it should get brought up to standard when it is refurbished in the coming year, however I am surprised that there has not been a great deal of problems with theft and unwelcome visitors.
MacMan

Re:

Postby blimey on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting pedant from 23:56, 13th Mar 2007

The term RA (Residence Assistant) is used to describe members of staff who aren't part of the wardenial system (such as wardens/subwardens) but perform a similar role in regard to supervising the hall.
It may have originated in America, but it's being used by the University here.

Well said - although you are incorrect - the RAs are part of the wardenial system they just have more responsiblity than subwardens...
blimey

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:10 pm

Quoting pedant from 23:56, 13th Mar 2007

Not really; the DRA/Fife Park wardennial team consists of a Warden, Deputy Warden and several RAs, who are pretty much the same things as Sub-wardens. Sub-warden is just the term used in most catered halls.

Re:

Postby lauraelizabeth on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:24 pm

hopus, you realy shouldn't advertise your open-dooredness on the sinner.. strange young ladies might get naughty urges to come crawling in in the middle of the night...
also, i think they were very mean to you.
lauraelizabeth

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting lauraelizabeth from 20:24, 14th Mar 2007
hopus, you realy shouldn't advertise your open-dooredness on the sinner.. strange young ladies might get naughty urges to come crawling in in the middle of the night...
also, i think they were very mean to you.

Are you the strange young lady with the naughty urges, lauraelizabeth?
The public demand to know!

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby lauraelizabeth on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:21 pm

yes, yes it is me.
lauraelizabeth

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board