Home

TheSinner.net

Facebook - aargh

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Facebook - aargh

Postby the Empress on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:29 pm

I officially HATE Facebook. Now everyone from the past seems to be joining, ferreting us out to smugly show how great their lives are. So far, I have discovered 1) a scary number of old friends are engaged and amazingly successful, and 2)Some of the people who facebooked me are not at all the people I thought they were once I looked at their pics! Why, why can't these old comrades leave us alone?! I mean, I left home so I wouldn't have to SEE these people. *crawls back into her hole* Anyone else feel vaguely inadequate thanks to Facebooks new in-voguedness?
the Empress

Re:

Postby Insight on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:54 pm

Narp - but for two reasons:

1) I was the fat kid at school & now am not. HAHA in their faces.....*ahem*

2) I swear to God that my highschool was populated by the most technophobic people on the planet. Facebook, Bebo, MySpazz - none of them are there.

[hr]

Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Insight

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:34 pm

All this came about when Facebook opened up to randoms, as opposed to sticking to its original guns of being a Universities only system...

I don't like it since it did that.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:43 pm

I've had the same - all my old primary school peers have hunted me down and befriended me.....and the high school clan seemed to have joined in.....one of them had the cheek to say "Just had a look at your photos..you're quite pretty now..." Eff off I know I was a wee ugly minger at high school I don't need some doofus to remind me 7 years later!

And don't get me started on the bloody marriage proposals and the "I want to make friendship with you" messages I'm getting from random Asian men........AAARGGHHH.....you do not know me and no I do not want to make friendship with you from the bottom of my heart.......

*rant over*

I'm annoyed that facebook has opened up to the world....it's getting worse then hi5!
harmless loony

Re:

Postby felix on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:17 am

2)Some of the people who facebooked me are not at all the people I thought they were once I looked at their pics!

The soulution to this, don't add people you don't know! I always look at the persons profile first, pictures and all, and if I don't know them I won't add them as a friend. I never add someone without first checking their profile to see who they are. Chances are if I don't recognise them by name, or by their profile picture, I don't know them.

[hr]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission
felix

Re:

Postby felix on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:20 am

Quoting the Empress from 20:29, 23rd Mar 2007 2)Some of the people who facebooked me are not at all the people I thought they were once I looked at their pics!

The soulution to this, don't add people you don't know! I always look at the persons profile first, pictures and all, and if I don't know them I won't add them as a friend. I never add someone without first checking their profile to see who they are. Chances are if I don't recognise them by name, or by their profile picture, I don't know them.

[hr]

felix

Re:

Postby MacMan on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:21 pm

FaceBook is generally annoying and what is appauling is the fact that so many people here use it to run their lives. Someone told me recently that I was not officially "going out" with a woman unless I had it set in Relationship Status on FaceBook that I was "In a Relationship". That is just absolutely dreadful, my personal life is my own business and I do not want to announce it to the world on the internet and nor do I want people to expect me to do so.
MacMan

Re:

Postby Fionnlagh on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting macman from 15:21, 24th Mar 2007
FaceBook is generally annoying and what is appauling is the fact that so many people here use it to run their lives. Someone told me recently that I was not officially "going out" with a woman unless I had it set in Relationship Status on FaceBook that I was "In a Relationship". That is just absolutely dreadful, my personal life is my own business and I do not want to announce it to the world on the internet and nor do I want people to expect me to do so.

Personally I think there's a lot of humour and more than a little truth to the statement to the phrase, "it's not official until it's facebook official".

Imagine it as the university equivalent of being serious enough to hold hands in the school playground, if you will.

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37102526&l=9f7bca06b0
Fionnlagh

Re:

Postby unreg on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:26 pm

I am not on facebook ergo this is less of a problem.
unreg

Return to The Sinner's Main Board