Home

TheSinner.net

Me vs. Cyclist

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Me vs. Cyclist

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:48 am

I'm at the bottom of Market Street, at the Roundabout of Death by The Raisin, and I need to cross over onto the other side to my flat on Hope Street. So, logically, I check all possible directions from the roundabout, see that it's clear and step onto the road, since that part is now one-way thanks to the roadworks.

But no!! An old man on a bike tries to slice me in two, and stops just in time so I'm straddling his front wheel. I do my usual Hugh Grant fumbled apology and walk sheepishly over the road to his cries of 'Look where you're going you young whippersnapper!' Then I get to my front door and realise.

That bloody cyclist wasn't observing the one-way system!

Is this normal? What if a bus or lorry needed to go up that street? There clearly wouldn't be room for him. I turned around to rebuke him for his wrongness, but alas, he had departed to continue his vicious student-slicing crimewave.

BEWARE! Description: he is old and on a bicycle.

/rant over.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Cyclists often ignore the rules of the road, unfortunately, and I'd say they're more dangerous than car drivers in some ways.

Few things annoy me more when I'm behind the wheel than a cyclist.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:32 pm

I was wrong >:(
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting Malcolm from 13:26, 13th Apr 2007
Few things annoy me more when I'm behind the wheel than a cyclist.

I wouldn't call them a cyclist if they're not obeying the rules of the road... an idiot with a bike, perhaps.

To be honest, in this town, I get annoyed at pedestrians and car drivers when I'm cycling, I get annoyed at car drivers and cyclists when I'm a pedestrian, and I get annoyed at cyclists and pedestrians when I'm driving. It seems there are a lot of people in St Andrews who think the rules of the road don't apply to them.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:09 pm

There's a scarily high number of both cyclists and car drivers who don't observe the various one way systems in St Andrews - only the other day I saw a car going through the arch leaving south street which is also meant to be one way.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070

queen of scots

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Indeed I saw some car driving the wrong way down Market Street just the other day - only the car in front of me was a police car so they got stopped - haha.

I especially hate when there is more than one cyclist and they cycle side by side...WHY?!

Drivers in St. Andrews also need to learn how to "give way to the left" at roundabouts, and what a "give way" junction looks like. I nearly had some huge 4x4 plough into my drivers side yesterday.

End of rant.
papercutheart

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:38 pm

Some cyclists can be annoying. The other day I saw this guy churning along the pavement up north street. Has the law changed or something? Last time I checked, it was illegal to cycle on the pavement.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinner, and all other fora.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby romantic on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Quoting papercutheart from 14:28, 13th Apr 2007
Indeed I saw some car driving the wrong way down Market Street just the other day - only the car in front of me was a police car so they got stopped - haha.

I especially hate when there is more than one cyclist and they cycle side by side...WHY?!

Drivers in St. Andrews also need to learn how to "give way to the left" at roundabouts, and what a "give way" junction looks like. I nearly had some huge 4x4 plough into my drivers side yesterday.

End of rant.

Probably because you were giving way "to the left" rather than the right!!
romantic

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Quoting papercutheart from 14:28, 13th Apr 2007

Er, you give way to the right at roundabouts. Because that's the direction cars come from.

But anyway, as I've said a million times before, roads are for cars. If you're a pedestrian and you're trying to cross one, please make sure it's safe to do so first - I shouldn't have to be expected to do an emergency stop for you, it's just putting your life at risk and frankly common sense.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:09 pm

Oops I meant right - haha. I don't let thought get in the way of a good rant.

Edit: And the 4x4 thing wasn't at a round about - it was just a normal road with the 4x4 coming out of an open junction.
papercutheart

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:21 pm

I forgot my other road rant: horses.

Why do I have to slow down for you and drive through your horses' shit? Did you pay any tax to be on this road? I did! I used to be really considerate to horses on roads before I realised that they just don't belong there, causing massive tailbacks and getting all uppity about people overtaking.

To summarise: Roads are for cars who should learn to use them properly.

Pavements are for pedestrians. But only intelligent, alert ones.

Cycle paths are for cyclists, but only intelligent, alert ones.

Horses can, er, um, run free in wide open plains somewhere.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 15:21, 13th Apr 2007
To summarise: Roads are for me.

Is that about right, then? ;)

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby maenad on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:40 pm

Cycle paths are for cyclists, but only intelligent, alert ones.

Aye, but quite often there aren't cycle paths.

People walking down cycle paths in an oblivious manner annoy me. Also, people in parked cars who open their doors into the road without seeing approaching cyclists piss me off. Luckily they haven't succeeded in breaking my knee caps yet.

I saw several 'cyclists' before Christmas cycling on the road after dark without lights, helmet or gloves. Pretty stupid, even if (I think) only the lights bit was illegal.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:50 pm

Ooh, I've just remembered - I saw a car driving down the cycle path alongside the A91 last week!!! I have no idea what it was doing there - and it was about to come unstuck as there was a bollard up ahead!

And the number of cyclists without lights at night is quite worrying - especially on the darker roads leading out of town.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

queen of scots

Re:

Postby BeccaLydia on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:19 pm

I hate cyclists - they are often oblivious to everything going on around them, particularly cars. They were the reason I failed my driving test - what are the odds of coming across 3 seperate ones in the 37 mins of the test?!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100244
BeccaLydia

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:38 pm

I still don't get why it's not illegal to cycle without a helmet. You'd be done for being on a motorbike without one, and you're at the same risk of head injuries.

I just think cyclists need to be more tightly regulated, perhaps even some kind of primitive license and testing procedure (more advanced than cycling proficiency), because at the current time they're totally unregulated and get away with everything.

I remember my 15th birthday in Edinburgh. I was in the car with my dad stopped at traffic lights, cyclist goes through red light at ~20mph and wipes out old lady, as well as flying over the handlebars himself. Lights turned green and we moved off, but I hope to God that guy was arrested, because there were loads and loads of witnesses.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Senethro on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:57 pm

Cyclist here. I'm always careful to observe everything going on because I'm less obvious than a car and in perpetual danger of being flattened, especially by people pulling out of being parked on southstreet at 5pm. I always observe one way streets (because I'm not a nutter) and have lights on after dark (likewise).

I won't lie, the roadworks are on my way home and I'm too lazy to go the long way to South Street or through busy North Street, so I go on the pavement. Whenever I'm on the pavement, I never go above a slow joggers pace. Theres just not enough time to stop otherwise if someone steps out a gate.
Senethro

Re:

Postby sat on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Quoting papercutheart from 14:28, 13th Apr 2007 ... some huge 4x4 ...

There do seem to be a lot of those around St Andrews.
sat

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting Gubbins from 16:07, 13th Apr 2007
To summarise: Roads are for me.

Is that about right, then? ;)

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.

If only.

[hr]

Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Gealle on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:09 pm

You only earn the right to moan about other people making use of the roads after you spend time commuting around the East End of Glasgow...

They're like Lemmings.

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board