Home

TheSinner.net

Buying books

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Buying books

Postby medea on Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:44 am

Does anyone know of a good online bookstore that's better than Amazon? I'm trying to get a book but don't really want to wait 3-5 weeks for it.

Thanks everyone.
medea

Re:

Postby the weight of echoes on Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:08 am

you could try www.waterstones.co.uk, but that sometimes takes you straight to amazon. Not always though. Depends how it's feeling. :)
Also www.bookexchange.co.uk is worth a try for second-hand books.
Have you tried quarto as well, on North Street?
you might get lucky on e-bay...

just ran a search on altavista and got to www.countrybookshop.co.uk. Looks reasonable. Like amazon but with more pastel colours.

Amazon's taking over the world though.
the weight of echoes

Re:

Postby Amanda on Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:17 am

www.blackwells.co.uk - they do free delivery, and they have a bit bigger selection than the one in the union. or you could try searching for the book on www.kelkoo.com, it'll show you the fastest and cheapest ways of getting the book you want.

[hr][s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:07 am

You could also try

http://www.bookbrain.co.uk

It searches 14 bookdealers with just one click.
Al

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 pm

However, if it is going to take that long with Amazon, it's probably going to take that long pretty much everywhere else, as I have discovered with a textbook I need which the library doesn't have. Grrr.

[hr]NUTT: You'd be surprised how many women find my size intriguingly alluring.

MULDER: And you'd be surprised how many men do as well.

X-Files, "Humbug"
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Second hand

Postby Mandy on Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:08 pm

Hi, if you don't mind secondhand, abebooks.com are fantastic - just about every book ever made is available! It's a worldwide 'association' of booksellers so you can deal direct with the seller, I got my books in a couple of days.
Mandy

if you don't mind used books...

Postby Muse on Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:09 pm

Go to www.usedbooksearch.co.uk (or it might be .com). When you put in the title/author, etc., make sure you select "only search UK", that way you are paying a lot less in shipping, etc. Books I have ordered have always arrived w/in a week.

Hope this helps :)

Muse
Muse

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:58 pm

Bookbrain is excellent, but you tend to find that most books are cheapest from www.swotbooks.com
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:00 pm

Bookbrain is excellent, but you tend to find that most books are cheapest from www.swotbooks.com
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby kensson on Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:35 pm

http//www.books.co.uk has always worked for me. It compares several sites and shows you the price including p'n'p.
kensson

Return to The Sinner's Main Board