Home

TheSinner.net

should scottish uni's be just for the scottish ?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:20 pm

Well, yes. I am a historian.
Al

Re:

Postby Moyersy on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:21 pm

[s]Al wrote on 19:20, 19th Feb 2003:
Well, yes. I am a historian.

Witty bastard. Seems you may have me nailed on a technicality there.
Moyersy

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:24 pm

Do you actually know of any Gaelics that would excuse your seemingly personal vendetta?

There is such a thing as being able to change the channel by the way.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:29 pm

This is pointless - we should be focusing our hatred on Saddam (if you're pro war) or Bush/Blair (if you're anti-war) and not on each other.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:32 pm

I'm sure most Sinner regulars have enough hate to go around everyone.
[hr][s]My weakness is none of your business[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:33 pm

There is such a thing as being able to change the channel by the way.

I don't watch the Gaelic programmes. But that's my point. I can't watch channel 2 at certain times cos its in a language I (and most people) don't understand. Gaelic is restricting and undermining my potential number of choices.

The quality of these Gaelic programmes is also poor (i've watched it sometimes... when i was THAT bored). I'm sure the Gaelic people probably moan about gaelic TV as much as we do.

I'm just one of these people who doesn't like things being preserved just for the sake of being preserved. Oh its a traditional language. Whoop dee fucking doo. Slavery is traditional but we dropped it. I apply this to saving pandas too. Stop trying to save the fucking pandas. If they're too crap to survive on their own and adapt like everything else, it's their own damn fault.

And if any of those pandas speak gaelic then I'm doubly annoyed with them.

[hr]
If I gave a shit, you'd be the first person I'd give it to.
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:39 pm

Maybe if you complained to the bbc it would do a bit more use than just having a rant. And as for the Gaelic programmes they are mostly for children.

And watch out for the pandas.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Little she-bear on Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:21 pm

[s]Biitchboy wrote on 19:33, 19th Feb 2003:I can't watch channel 2 at certain times cos its in a language I (and most people) don't understand. Gaelic is restricting and undermining my potential number of choices.

What, the only thing you can do in your spare time is watch TV? If you don't have sufficient choice on TV your leisure time is ruined? What a sad, pathetic life you must lead. Go to the pub with your friends (if you have any), go to the cinema,listen to the radio,read a book, learn a musical instrument, take up tapestry, go on an anger management course.

Slavery is traditional but we dropped it.

Slavery has specific ethical and moral issues that apply to it, it's hardly analogous with the language issue. Why on earth did you bring this up?

I apply this to saving pandas too. Stop trying to save the fucking pandas. If they're too crap to survive on their own and adapt like everything else, it's their own damn fault.

Yeah, like those disabled people. Leaching off the taxpayer. It's their fault for needing wheelchairs, home helps and hospitals stays.

::shakes head::
Little she-bear

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:24 pm

Look, i'll just have to settle this arguement once and for all, with some down to earth logic.

I know one Gaelic speaker, and he's a twat. Therefore, i will now proceed to tar all Gaelic speakers with the same brush - and then crack them with the brush over their heads once i've used it.

£13 million pounds is being spent by the Scottish Executive on promoting the Gaelic language. That's 220 quid per fucking inbred scottish farmer to waste on a shite language which sounds like someone has just kicked the speaker up the arse. Not to mention the amount of money the BBC pays to have annoying as fuck Gaelic programmes. I mean, surely they must have the lowest aduience share consistently, being as only a maximum of 59,000 people can even fucking understand it.

And, while i'm rambling on, i bet half the fucking Gaelic speakers don't even have a TV because they can't receive the signal where they live.

Moyersy, actually the combined population of India and Pakistan is 1.4 billion, and that's not even counting the people who speak Urdu throughout the world. How can someone say that Urdu isn't a more important language to learn than Gaelic? I can imagine about 5 remote as fuck Scottish villages that only speak Gaelic, and i bet someone there would understand English if you said it to them.

Basically, Gaelic is a DEAD language, like it should be, and the Scots should stop fucking wasting money on trying to promote it, and put the money into something that's worthwhile - like cutting crime in Glasgow. Oh, wait, i think you might need £13 BILLION to do that.

Rant Over - No offence meant to the Scots or Gaelic speakers, i just wanted to poke a bit of fun :)
Rennie

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:56 pm

Swearing really doesn't do anything for your hinted lack of intelligence. Just because someone speaks a different language it makes them bad people?

My family know quite a few Gaelic speaking people, some speak English some don't. I think all would be quite offended by the likes of you, and I hope none ever come into contact with you or you'll be exposed for the twat you are.

You sound like a bunch of kids, 'lets make fun of those people because they're different'. Bloody hell.

And Gaelic is more useful to be taught in Scotland than Urdu as it enables the kids to be able to speak with elder mambers of their family who don't speak English and have no desire to.

Maybe you should all get out more, get a social life, make some attempts to stop being so annoying and perhaps this will happen. Though I doubt it.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:01 pm

Yes, only in the apparently civilised region of Fife can we receive television signals.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:04 pm

Pussycat, they aren't different, they're just plain wrong. :P

Why are people taking this so seriously?
Rennie

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:05 pm

Maybe people get tired of eejits? Just a thought.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:17 pm

"Posted by Moyersy at 19:18, Today
It seems to me Al, that for someone who has graduated and moved on, you still spend a lot of time hanging around in the past. It's no wonder you are an advocate of Gaelic."

My thoughts exactly...tell me Al, would that be an employed or an unemployed historian?

"Posted by Al at 13:46, Today
Actually, yes, I do want to be pedantic!"

Makes a change!
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:22 pm

'Biitchboy wrote on 19:33, 19th Feb 2003: I apply this to saving pandas too. Stop trying to save the fucking pandas. If they're too crap to survive on their own and adapt like everything else, it's their own damn fault.'

"Posted by Little she-bear at 20:21, Today: Yeah, like those disabled people. Leaching off the taxpayer. It's their fault for needing wheelchairs, home helps and hospitals stays."

Since when did he mention disabled pandas?! Too right about saving pandas.
S.P.I.G

A challenge!!

Postby Moyersy on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:42 pm

If there really are people who only speak Gaelic and don't speak English, then perhaps we should kick them out of the country. We can't criticise asylum seekers for not learning the language if there are UK citizens who don't feel the need to bother.

I would suggest that if you live in the UK, then you'd better damn well make an effort to speak the official language.

I don't believe that there is a single person in the country who only speaks Gaelic. I therefore lay down a bet of £20 to the first person who can provide proof that one exists whom does not have basic conversational skills in English.
Moyersy

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:43 pm

I know someone that speaks Gaelic, and a form of Irish-English. Shall i come round for my £20, Mr Paddy O'Bomber?
Rennie

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:45 pm

Me two, some elderly ladies that live on one of the Western Isles. They're relations of a family friend.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Moyersy on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:45 pm

Relatives of a family friend??? I'm looking for some concrete evidence here, some sort of written official evidence. Not hearsay from family mates.
Moyersy

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:48 pm

Cola Cube, how do you know they only speak Gaelic? Do you speak it as well? So, you're realistically saying that someone living in the UK can't speak ANY english?
Rennie

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board