Home

TheSinner.net

The South Street Ghetto

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:49 pm

My god, have you people got no backbones? Don't be scared of these wankers, just make sure you're not vunerable around them, and if they start giving you shit, either call the police or get a weapon and twat them one. Bullies need to be taught a lesson. Preferably a violent one.

Although, i do understand that some people wouldn't want to/not be able to take this approach. Fair enough, if the police weren't so arsed about Hope street then maybe they;d wander that way sometimes. Where i live, the problem is epidemic, but it's never really affected me.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:52 pm

Bit tougher if your female though.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Moyersy on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:53 pm

I'll back that one up, these people are more vulnerable than your usual yobs. You can identify them through their registration number, and you can hurt them through their car.

A well aimed brick will do wonders, and DRH building site has a ready supply of lump hammers. These guys are knobs, they are just hoping that most students are too soft/intellectual to put up a fight.
(either physically or by calling the police.)
Moyersy

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:55 pm

Yeah, i completely agree with Moyersy here. Nail their cars :) I propose a Jihad against the cars. Anyone with me?
Rennie

Re:

Postby Big Al on Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:56 pm

Could somebody please define "ned" to the non-native English speaking population?
Big Al

Re:

Postby * on Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:13 pm

They've not been able to fix this problem in any other town (where usually they cause MUCH more trouble) so I doubt they'll be able to do much about it here.

Re:

Postby poppa on Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:13 pm

i came back from uni for a weekend with some friends of mine who had never been to st. andrews before and i was quite simply embarrased as to the level of loutish behavior going on in south street outside the gin house etc. To be fair, the rossers were patrolling that area, but doing absolutely sweet FA about any of shouting, harrassing, minor skirmishes, vandalism etc. Whats happened to the town lately? i don't ever remember it being this bad before!!!
poppa

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:34 pm

I know it sounds like a good idea to fight back. But it often seems to be the case that students on their own are being attacked by car lots of Neds. There isn't really anything you can do in these situations. From what I hear the police often tend to favour the Neds if the even bother to get involved!

[hr]Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:43 pm

Has nobody realised that starting a fight with neds would not be a good thing for the student body and town/uni relations as a whole?

Maybe because i'm a student involved a lot with Madras college, but both neds and students have to live in the same town side by side. and i'm really sure that putting bricks through their car windows is going to sort things out.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Neds - a definition

Postby Cloud on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:03 am

If anyone out there does not know what a ned is or looks like,
Go to this link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/entertain ... aper.shtml
And click to enlarge the picture on the left.... YA DOBBER!!!
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

In St Andrews

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:22 pm

It should be easy for the police to tackle this problem. There are only a few cars actually causing this problem here(unlike my home town where everyone froom the whole region comes to play) In my experience, the drivers are indeed middle class 'lads' out for a bit of fun, but it is their ned 'friends' who cause the most trouble.The drivers are vunerable, they will have just recently passed their test and have no wish to lose their licence.

This is where the solution lies. Attack the drivers. Not, as some people suggest, with bricks(although this would be fun), but using the police, combined with actual reportings of specific events and reg numbers.

Using this strategy, there will be no way to get a conviction, and it would not deter the ned mates, but it will however deter the drivers who cannot afford to lose their prescious licence.

The police are usually rubbish a dealing with 'minor incidents', but the drivers are vunerable on this front, if only from their own state of mind caused by the police presence on their door step one weekday evening.

what do you think?

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Moyersy on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:55 pm

I thoroughly agree, these lads social lives revolve around having a driving license, they will do their utmost to avoid losing it. There's not exactly much else for them to do other than cruise the streets looking 'cool'.

I believe this is a universal problem with small country towns, where there are large distances to be covered if you want to meet your mates, and then very little to do when you get there.

If everyone on here puts the coppers number in their phone (01334 418 900) and rings them if they see trouble with the cars, quoting a registration number then there will be far fewer problems after a couple of weeks.

For all that people are grumbling, nobody has said they actually called the police so it can't be such a serious problem for you.
Moyersy

Re:

Postby Moyersy on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:55 pm

I thoroughly agree, these lads social lives revolve around having a driving license, they will do their utmost to avoid losing it. There's not exactly much else for them to do other than cruise the streets looking 'cool'.

I believe this is a universal problem with small country towns, where there are large distances to be covered if you want to meet your mates, and then very little to do when you get there.

If everyone on here puts the coppers number in their phone (01334 418 900) and rings them if they see trouble with the cars, quoting a registration number then there will be far fewer problems after a couple of weeks.

For all that people are grumbling, nobody has said they actually called the police so it can't be such a serious problem for you.
Moyersy

Gangland

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:08 pm

Oh dear to live a sheltered life is what i dream of and here in the magical world of St Andrews i thought i'd found my utopia. I foolishly believed i'd left behind the inherent craziness of the violent situations which, it pains me to say, are common place in the mean streets of the ghetto of Leeds. Sadly i was mistaken. Lets go for a drink.

Neds

Postby medea on Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:21 pm

We call them 'townies' where I come from. But I agree, something needs to be done. I was driving across the roundabout at the end of south street just next to the Westport & one of them whizzed past at about 60 mph, from the left. Me and the passenger were nearly squashed. Definitely needs sorting out.
medea

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 pm

they dont have anywahere to go, where i come from they have Strathclyde country park to go and drive about and be prats. i've so far had no trouble with the locals except for one that wanted me and a mate to go and buy him beer.

[hr]its a spoon!

http://www.tastyspoon.com
niall

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board