Home

TheSinner.net

Stolen BBQ - East Sands

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Stolen BBQ - East Sands

Postby Andrew on Fri May 04, 2007 7:54 am

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what has happened to a BBQ that was left on East Sands to cool on Wednesday evening? It actually belongs to a society and so any information about its disappearance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
Andrew

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri May 04, 2007 9:03 am

Rather than being stolen - it could perhaps have been removed as litter by the council. Infact, i'd consider this to be the primary reason before jumping to theft conclusion. Also - I was under the impression that it wouldn't theft if someone took it when it was unattended in public property. Also - where about on the sands was it - if it was under the high water mark it might come under the marine salvage act and as such would certainly not be theft.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Senethro on Fri May 04, 2007 9:45 am

Marine salvage eh? I'll remember that one. Indeed the Law of the Sea is harsh.
Senethro

Re:

Postby Rob on Fri May 04, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting Senethro from 10:45, 4th May 2007
Marine salvage eh? I'll remember that one. Indeed the Law of the Sea is harsh.

Speaking of marine salvage, what ever happend to that boat in the English Channel? Is it still there? Did the unofficial "salvagers" get away with it? Good on them if so!
Rob

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri May 04, 2007 10:40 am

That cargo ship business was one of the most disgusting mass social spectacles in recent memory. So many filthy, scrounging people from hundreds and hundreds of miles away combing a beach for any worthless junk they could "claim".

A damning verdict on the British people.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby shaolinmonk on Fri May 04, 2007 10:40 am

Salvage laws are not that simple, for someone to legally 'salvage' something on the beach they must first register their find with Customs within a certain time period (i forget exactly how long) and they can keep it unless the owner then makes a claim. That is why the salvagers in England got into trouble, had they registered their find and the owner hadn't tried to recover their lost items all would have been fine.

Therefore I suggest you go and report your loss to the police who will be able to let you know if anyone has claimed salvage rights.
shaolinmonk

Re:

Postby Raaaaaaaar on Fri May 04, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting shaolinmonk from 11:40, 4th May 2007
Salvage laws are not that simple, for someone to legally 'salvage' something on the beach they must first register their find with Customs within a certain time period (i forget exactly how long) and they can keep it unless the owner then makes a claim. That is why the salvagers in England got into trouble, had they registered their find and the owner hadn't tried to recover their lost items all would have been fine.

Therefore I suggest you go and report your loss to the police who will be able to let you know if anyone has claimed salvage rights.

Salvage has to be declared with the Receiver of Wreck who is part of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and if it remains unclaimed after a year it becomes the property of the Crown. They have to dispose of it, usually by auction although in most cases they don't bother if it isn't of value to them and the finder is allowed to keep it. In the case of several BMW motorbikes washed up from the MSC Napoli, those which were reported were reclaimed and most of those which weren't reported were seized by police.

With regards to a barbeque left on the beach I doubt the person who removed it is going to consider whether it was above or below the tide mark and then spend the time filling in a form to declare their find.
Raaaaaaaar

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri May 04, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks for replying munchingoo, One of the first things I did was to check it had not been removed by the council and it appears it has not. I also spent around an hour and a half searching up and down the beach and the surrounding area to make sure it hadn't just been moved. It was left at the top of the beach and above the tide line, so that option has also been ruled out. The word 'stolen' was used to hopefully attract some attention to the thread incase anyone has taken it thinking it had just been left for anyone to claim.

Thanks, Andrew

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri May 04, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting from 10:32, 4th May 2007
Thanks for replying munchingoo, One of the first things I did was to check it had not been removed by the council and it appears it has not. I also spent around an hour and a half searching up and down the beach and the surrounding area to make sure it hadn't just been moved. It was left at the top of the beach and above the tide line, so that option has also been ruled out. The word 'stolen' was used to hopefully attract some attention to the thread incase anyone has taken it thinking it had just been left for anyone to claim.

Thanks, Andrew

Perhaps Neptune himself took it to sizzle some sausages in Davy Jones locker

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby iab2 on Sat May 05, 2007 12:35 am

I cannot offer any help on it's location, but it seems that everywhere I turn someone is talking about this barbeque. This story would seem to be the talk of the town. I can only conclude from this that exam revision is not as engaging as would be expected ;)

[hr]

Do your duty, carry a ham!
iab2

Return to The Sinner's Main Board