Home

TheSinner.net

Uni Servers

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Uni Servers

Postby thebrookster on Fri May 04, 2007 1:03 pm

Has the Uni servers just gone down or something? Just that my email is non-existant (has thunderbird tieing itself in knots) and I cannot access the Uni's website.
thebrookster

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Fri May 04, 2007 1:05 pm

Same here, so I guess they must have done. Grrrr.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070

queen of scots

Re:

Postby The Kinky Monkey on Fri May 04, 2007 1:21 pm

I think the powers out in town as the library's shut for said reason. I would imagine thats probably got something to do with it.

[hr]

Do good to all men, but at the end remember to collect your fee.
The Kinky Monkey

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Fri May 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Ooh, I'm glad you posted that the library was shut - I was planning on coming into town this afternoon so that's saved me a wasted journey!

[hr]

queen of scots

Re:

Postby sat on Fri May 04, 2007 1:25 pm

As of now the power seems to be back on but various things seem inaccessible from outside the university network. Either the routers have gone down or the servers themselves.
sat

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Fri May 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting The Kinky Monkey from 14:21, 4th May 2007
I think the powers out in town as the library's shut for said reason. I would imagine thats probably got something to do with it.

[hr]

Again!! Did this not happen the other day as well?
thebrookster

Re:

Postby The Kinky Monkey on Fri May 04, 2007 1:40 pm

I don't know but whatever it is, it's a pain in the arse!

Quoting thebrookster from 14:28, 4th May 2007
Quoting The Kinky Monkey from 14:21, 4th May 2007

[hr]

Again!! Did this not happen the other day as well?

[hr]

The Kinky Monkey

Re:

Postby Nickel on Fri May 04, 2007 1:48 pm

I think maybe the hamster running the St Andrews grid is having health problems.
Nickel

Re:

Postby Senethro on Fri May 04, 2007 1:49 pm

Tescos got killed by the powercut. I had to go in search of Morrisons for my dinner
Senethro

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Fri May 04, 2007 1:57 pm

It could be the workmen digging up the road, cutting through a power cable which supplied one (or more) of the uni servers and phone systems...
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Fri May 04, 2007 1:59 pm

Well, I am back running now. However, after just giving ITS problems page a quick perusal, there appears to be nothing about this yet.
thebrookster

Re:

Postby MacMan on Fri May 04, 2007 4:21 pm

I have been told that the loss of University internet services was due to a power-cut in the Irvine building, where a large majority of servers and networking equipment are located. The cut took out the University telephone system as well (although I'm sure alot of folk didn't notice that). It was possible to make calls within individual buildings (ie. departments or halls) but if you wanted to phone another building or an outside line it just went dead.

Fortunately everything is back in action now but this was the biggest failure in communications that I have seen here.
MacMan

Re:

Postby sat on Fri May 04, 2007 5:33 pm

Quoting MacMan from 17:21, 4th May 2007
the Irvine building, where a large majority of servers and networking equipment are located.

I didn't realise there were servers in the Irvine building. I know that there are some in Purdie, Westburn Lane and Butts Wynd (or behind 79 North Street: I saw inside that one once).
sat

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri May 04, 2007 11:08 pm

The thing is, at least here in Albany (I'm guessing this side of town is perhaps on a different power grid to the centre of town, as we seem to not experience a lot of the outages the rest of town does), there was a very small "blip" in the power this afternoon, and that was it... it seemed to be a voltage drop for literally a second, and back to normal. This may not have been the case elsewhere in town, of course, but do the university not have any UPSes covering their servers, etc, to at least keep them up for a few minutes in the event of a short outage?

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri May 04, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting orudge from 00:08, 5th May 2007
...do the university not have any UPSes covering their servers, etc, to at least keep them up for a few minutes in the event of a short outage?

They have a lot of hardware in a lot of places. I think a few key machines have UPS, but the vast majority don't. Nor redundant power supplies either.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby novium on Sat May 05, 2007 2:16 am

There was a weird thing in classics, at least in the library, when the power went out. All the florescent lighting went mad...it did the whole strobe light effect, with all the lights flickering on and off very quickly, and not in tangent. It was not at all like someone was turning the lights on and off- it truly was disco-like- and then the lights all died. Except for the (presumable) emergency ones.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Freaker on Sat May 05, 2007 2:34 am

Power was out for most of North Street and Market Street as far as I could tell. When I walked to my lecture at 1400 in the quad, the traffic light across the road was out, and there was only emergency lighting in the lecture room (the only light in that room, since the electronically controlled blinds were down by the time the power cut out). Maybe about 1420 the power came back on, then went off again five minutes later for a minute or two, and came back on for good. Friends have told me Tescos was closed, as were most shops down Market Street, because of the power cut. Someone said the North Haugh was without power at the time as well.

But what is it with the grid here in St Andrews? The power has gone off on Market Street/North Street a few times in the last month alone, last Sunday night being the most recent time. There must be something wrong at the moment or maybe it is to do with the construction works by the union, but I don't remember power cuts like these from before the winter break.

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Sat May 05, 2007 8:31 am

We obviously had a power blip here too - I didn't notice the power go but the microwave and a clock had reset themselves. This is about 5 or 6 miles outside St Andrews...so it seems to have been quite a widespread problem.

We had some very weird power problems a few weeks ago too - the lights kept flickering, and I was worried it was the wiring in our own cottage. However, there was a power cut one day after that, and since then the lights have been back to normal.

[hr]

queen of scots

Re:

Postby MacMan on Sat May 05, 2007 2:56 pm

We had freak incidents like this with the power in my home town a few years ago. It kept spontaneously cutting out, normally for about five minutes, and then returning. It took them 2 months to locate and sort the problem. Reputedly it was some guy unofficially farting around with some switchgear but it is more likely it was due to a dodgy transformer or cabling.

Maybe Physics or Maths is drawing too much power which is cutting out the town. Afterall, they did blow up their substation last semester by overloading it...
MacMan

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sat May 05, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting MacMan from 15:56, 5th May 2007
Maybe Physics or Maths is drawing too much power which is cutting out the town. Afterall, they did blow up their substation last semester by overloading it...

lol, only because the gear hadn't (maybe still hasn't even now) been replaced since they built Physics. Whose responsibility was that, was it University property or Scottish Power's?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board