Home

TheSinner.net

May Ball reviews

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

May Ball reviews

Postby Ewan Husami on Sun May 06, 2007 12:40 pm

So how was it? Did everyone have a good time?
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun May 06, 2007 1:18 pm

I've been to three now (2004, 2005 and 2007). This one seems to have been the best organised, and very enjoyable. They didn't oversell it for a change, so the queues weren't bad for drink.

The entertainment was great.

The food was fantastic, actually. Le Rendezvous really did well, infact I'll go there in future.

Verdict: Worth the money, very much so.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby classydriver on Sun May 06, 2007 1:28 pm

Colin Murray was awesome. As were the Pigeon Detectives. Didn't spend too long waiting at the bar.

Had such a good night.
classydriver

Re:

Postby The Jaspar on Sun May 06, 2007 6:06 pm

I decided to splash out on the dinner for my first May Ball and I think it was worth it. The drink lines were short, but there was no rum! So it was either gin & tonic or a vodka-red bull. Except for that though not too many complaints. The loos stopped flushing half way through the night, but that's not the organisers' fault.

The Pigeon Detectives were excellent! I actually had a run in with them early on Saturday morning. After the OTC ball and afterparty, we all went down to the bit of west sands behind the Seafood Restaurant and the golf museum. There were some people in sleeping bags on the hill by the bandstand, and naturally, we nicked a pair of their shoes and relocated them to the sea. We found out last night that those campers were the Pigeon Detectives! They were camping because they spent all their hotel money on booze apparently.

So a good night overall!
The Jaspar

Re:

Postby orudge on Sun May 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting The Jaspar from 19:06, 6th May 2007
The loos stopped flushing half way through the night, but that's not the organisers' fault.

They did that last year, too. It seems that may be something they need to get sorted.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sun May 06, 2007 7:20 pm

Apparently girls had been flushing certain ladies things down the loos, according to a rubber-begloved female assistant, who was going to relieve the blockage.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon May 07, 2007 10:19 am

The Pigeon Detectives were unbelievably ordinary considering the hype, and for an up-and-coming band, I was kind of shocked by their pretentiousness. Separate green room from the other bands, and sound checking in the middle of the event? I also found it hilarious that every one of them was wearing the same thing.

The no drinks on the dance floor was odd, as it meant that not many people came to see the first two or three bands because they were drinking. Although that rule seemed to be less enforced as the night progressed.

Not the best ball I've been to, but certainly the better of the two May Balls I've done.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby pea on Mon May 07, 2007 11:27 am

Having been put off by terrible reviews of it the past 3 years, I decided to just bite the bullet and go this year. And I'm really glad I did. My friends and I just went for the Classic ticket and didn't feel we missed out on anything. The queues were short for everything, the first band were awesome, Colin Murray was amazing, and we had a really enjoyable night, staying til pretty much the end when we'd only planned on staying til 1am. The only downside of it for us were the absolute twats who insisted on standing all over us, shoving into us and acting like we weren't there during Colin Murray's DJ set. That's what made us go home, because if we didn't we would have ended up punching several people. That, and the Pigeon Detectives were the only downsides. They seemed like cocky, pretentious twats, their music didn't seem to be anything special and I'm sure they'll blend in with all the other bands of a similar vein that appear these days. I hardly think calling us all rich twats was the best way to appeal to an audiance either.

All in all, a very good ball and I am glad I decided to go.

[hr]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
pea

Re:

Postby novium on Mon May 07, 2007 12:10 pm

darn. Maybe I should have rethought my vow never to go to another event put on by the KK club (after the 2005 may ball...)

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Tue May 08, 2007 2:08 am

Same "complaints" as everyone else:
Why did we have to get dumped out by the Gateway
and the Pigeon Detectives were not as good as the hype made out. Their lead singer was a tosser.

I had a great time, it was a fantastic night, really well organised and run :)

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue May 08, 2007 12:54 pm

At the time I was pissed off that we got dropped at The Gateway. However, thinking about it, I live in Southgait Hall, and I'd have been so pissed off had I not gone and people were dropped off on South Street.

At that time of night, the North Haugh is one of the few acceptable places to drop that may drunk people.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby The Dude on Tue May 08, 2007 3:34 pm

Quoting Steveo from 13:54, 8th May 2007
At the time I was pissed off that we got dropped at The Gateway. However, thinking about it, I live in Southgait Hall, and I'd have been so pissed off had I not gone and people were dropped off on South Street.

At that time of night, the North Haugh is one of the few acceptable places to drop that may drunk people.

[hr]

Get off my internet.

Thats funny we were dropped on south street. That said I got a standard ticket and had a better time than last year with fast track bar. The bars were fast and there were no restrictions on how much you could get which I think helped with the queues. The only downside was that the band was a bit shit. That said my first year was Groove Armada so maybe I am a bit biased.
The Dude

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Tue May 08, 2007 3:40 pm

In my opinion KK spends too much money on the band(s), which could be put elsewhere (lowering ticket prices, say). The bands they get, from what I've seen and heard from friends, are either on so late that most people are pissed and don't watch, or shit and so not worth watching.

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby banana on Tue May 08, 2007 3:44 pm

We got dumped at the gateway because the bus drivers weren't allowed to take us to South street due to 'noise pollution'. Apparently the police had been having a go at them about it. It's crap.
banana

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue May 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting banana from 09:31, 8th May 2007
We got dumped at the gateway because the bus drivers weren't allowed to take us to South street due to 'noise pollution'. Apparently the police had been having a go at them about it. It's crap.

You wouldn't be saying it was crap if you lived right next to the bus stop on South Street.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby MacMan on Tue May 08, 2007 6:40 pm

I didn't go but still had a good night at the Whey Pat!

As for the toilet flushing issue: this always happens with Kinkell Farm as the barns the events are held in only have one, small water tank which supplies all of the toilets and sinks. Quite often this empties during a busy night and doesn't have a chance to re-fill. The toilets and tank were probably installed without consideration of the amount of use they would receive, but the farm should really install a larger tank or tanks to cope with the demand.
MacMan

Return to The Sinner's Main Board