Home

TheSinner.net

New University Website

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

New University Website

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed May 09, 2007 11:04 pm

...isn't online yet.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby nicolafoister on Thu May 10, 2007 7:43 am

There are bound to be problems...

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 00:04, 10th May 2007
...isn't online yet.

[hr]

nicolafoister

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu May 10, 2007 11:22 am

It is no better than thre previous one, and this one has some errors in it...

I thought the point was to make it more navigatable whilst at the same time giving it a persitent look and feel.

It achieves neither of these to goals.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Das Feuer liebt mich on Thu May 10, 2007 11:27 am

I can't bloody find anything!!

[hr]

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind.
Das Feuer liebt mich

Re:

Postby HEED on Thu May 10, 2007 11:27 am

Tbh, I didnt mind the old one. After having had it online for so long, why would they suddenly want to change it to how it is now? Im sure I'll get used to it and prefer it soon enough however
ZOMG! it woz da LOLZ0rds
HEED

Re:

Postby groovy on Thu May 10, 2007 11:30 am

where the fuck is the link for webct?

[hr]

Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
groovy

Re:

Postby floatingonmycloud on Thu May 10, 2007 11:32 am

On the red bar at the top of the current students page.

Can anyone find how to buy printer credits? Grr.
floatingonmycloud

Re:

Postby n01 on Thu May 10, 2007 11:44 am

Obviously it's going to be tough to find things if we are used to the old ones.

It's like moving into a new home - it just takes time to find all the things that you used to know the place of.

At first I was rather disappointed, but after time I think it will grow on me.

Change is unsettling, but I think this one is good.
n01

Re:

Postby romantic on Thu May 10, 2007 11:46 am

Have you noticed on the getting around St Andrews section there is a link to the 2006 park & ride timetable; also (shamefully) this is mentioned and linked to on the graduation information page. The problem is, there is no park & ride service for 2007. You think that they would verify information as accurate before posting it on the website, especially the graduation page.
romantic

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Thu May 10, 2007 11:53 am

It doesn't seem as if it was really ready to be launched to me. I mean boxes with

"Lorum ipsum dolor sit amet"

and

"Description of the event description of the event description of the event description of the event description of the event. Description of the event description of the event description of the event description of the event description of the event."

on a professional site?

And I can't figure out why the school of history pages have gone into meltdown quite so spectacularly.

Not impressed.

I can't find half the things I'm looking for either - eg the payroll info. Grrrr. Lots of time going to be wasted this afternoon, I can see.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Frank George on Thu May 10, 2007 11:55 am

Why is the "Current Students" link only available on the front page, not the top navigation bar? I'm sure "Visiting" could be moved to the "Prospective Students" section or something. Current students are people too! Give us a link!
Frank George

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu May 10, 2007 12:02 pm

Q: How many academics does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Change!? Change!?

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu May 10, 2007 12:05 pm

I think it'll of course seem harder to navigate than the old one because we were all used to it. The new one seems more intuitively designed than the old, which was a bit of a shambles to be honest. Give it time...

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby romantic on Thu May 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 13:05, 10th May 2007
I think it'll of course seem harder to navigate than the old one because we were all used to it. The new one seems more intuitively designed than the old, which was a bit of a shambles to be honest. Give it time...

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114

Surely though, timing wise, it would have been better to change things immediately after the students have gone home for the summer?
romantic

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Thu May 10, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting romantic from 13:09, 10th May 2007
Surely though, timing wise, it would have been better to change things immediately after the students have gone home for the summer?

Of course it would. It would also have been sensible to beta test the site first, in tandem with the existing one, instead of just switching and then going "Shit. Things are broken."
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby A66 on Thu May 10, 2007 12:42 pm

The menu bar now appears to have broken I can only select prospective student. Off all the times to break it, in the middle of exams is pretty dumb even for St Andrews.
A66

Re:

Postby [James] on Thu May 10, 2007 12:47 pm

The ITS pages are a bit fucked once you try looking for things. The software pages are a prime example. Hopefully it'll all be worked out soon.
[James]

Re:

Postby orudge on Thu May 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Mmh, it seems it'll take a little bit of getting used to. Some of the pages do seem to be a little disorganised and untidy, and I notice a number of pages on the ITS subsite don't seem to be working (eg, the resnet site). Oh well, I guess they'll get stuff ironed out soon.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Thu May 10, 2007 1:10 pm

It just makes the school pages look even more uneven now - I really wish they would go over the Psychology school page. Its shite. The Bute got a new pretty site, why can't we?

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby maenad on Thu May 10, 2007 3:52 pm

I was dreading loooking at it reading this thread, but I'm really pleased with it. The website has been an embarrassment for years (at least four, as I don't think it's changed since I started researching unis at school). I think it looks much more professional and is much easier to navigate. I've come across a couple of blank pages so far but I'd say they're just teething problems. I can't believe the bitching going on here!

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board