Home

TheSinner.net

Behaviour After Exams

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Behaviour After Exams

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu May 10, 2007 11:27 pm

I've had this email three times now - anyone else?

I'm rather relieved that my final exam is in Lower Parliament Hall - assuming the doors open onto South Street, I can't imagine the university setting up a designated fun zone outside, so I ought to escape getting wet :D

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu May 10, 2007 11:28 pm

I wondered how long it would take for this thread to appear...I've had it three times too!

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu May 10, 2007 11:34 pm

Does anyone else find the tone Chris Lusk has taken with this, and the raisin weekend "we'll lock you up and throw away the key if you venture outside", rather too harsh?

She's coming across as a bit of a bitch, in fairness.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Frank on Fri May 11, 2007 1:03 am

Never met this Tom D'ardenne bloke in person, nor do I really have much to comment about him at all (seems to have done a great job as president etc), but I must say this:

He's alot smaller than I thought he'd be!

That is: He was at the Valedictory Dinner in Melville the other week, and I was literally stumped as to how short he was. Not that that's a bad thing, but it caught me off guard!

The email itself isn't that bad, on reading it, simply the force of it being emailed three times seems to add a bit of an "Alright, alright, I get it, crazy gits...mutter...grumble!" reaction to reading it!

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri May 11, 2007 7:56 am

You exit lower parliament hall via the rear exit. There is then a small area put aside on the little alleyway to the left of the hall.

What day is your last exam Will? ;-)

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri May 11, 2007 8:13 am

I always found Tom D'Ardenne to be the perfect height. Not too short, not too tall, just right.

I don't think Chris is being too harsh though - it sets out the rules, tells you what'll happen if you break them and even is nice enough to let you know why they're in place. Seems pretty fair to me.

Quoting munchingfoo from 08:56, 11th May 2007
You exit lower parliament hall via the rear exit. There is then a small area put aside on the little alleyway to the left of the hall.

What day is your last exam Will? ;-)

Er, not telling.

Shit, shit shit!

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby JAK on Fri May 11, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting Frank from 02:03, 11th May 2007
Never met this Tom D'ardenne bloke in person, nor do I really have much to comment about him at all (seems to have done a great job as president etc), but I must say this:

He's alot smaller than I thought he'd be!

That is: He was at the Valedictory Dinner in Melville the other week, and I was literally stumped as to how short he was. Not that that's a bad thing, but it caught me off guard!
[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."

Well, to be fair Frank, you're not the most objective judge of height. By which I mean you're really quite tall.

And I read the e-mail the first time, in a "break" from "revision", then got two more. I'm slightly disturbed that the Union appears to be cracking down on anyone with substances other than water, which seems a little harsh. I mean, what if you want caffiene?

[hr]

I got my BBC
I got my BBC
JAK

Re:

Postby Laura on Fri May 11, 2007 9:14 am

I think they have genuine problems when people start throwing flour and eggs and that sort of stuff, so they have to be quite strict. I was interviewing wardens for halls in the Quaestor's office at the same time as exams were going on last May and he saw someone out of the window chuck some flour. He threw the window open and yelled in his west of scotland way

"WE'LL GET RATS, YOU IDIOTS"

I just sat there in shock.

[hr]

"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby n01 on Fri May 11, 2007 9:29 am

there has appeared to be a heightened security with EVERYTHING this year. or is it just me?
n01

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri May 11, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting n01 from 10:29, 11th May 2007
there has appeared to be a heightened security with EVERYTHING this year. or is it just me?

I scanned this in the context of the thread and wondered how on Earth they planned to heighten the President.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Fri May 11, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting n01 from 10:29, 11th May 2007

It's just the same as the last few years.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby The Jaspar on Fri May 11, 2007 12:02 pm

Can someone explain to a first year what this is all about? What happened in the last few years for them to have to write this?
The Jaspar

Re:

Postby n01 on Fri May 11, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting The Jaspar from 13:02, 11th May 2007
Can someone explain to a first year what this is all about? What happened in the last few years for them to have to write this?

Don't really remember there being so many e-mails and concerns about Raisin Sunday, Exams etc.

Then again, that might just be my memory...
n01

Re:

Postby romantic on Fri May 11, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting The Jaspar from 13:02, 11th May 2007

Didn't a woman who was walking past with a baby in a chair end up covered in flour and eggs? Or am I thinking of another incident?
romantic

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri May 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Last year they introduced the 'designated fun zones' into which people had to go for hot, wet action - mainly to stop random passers by from getting stuff thrown at them and keep things in an area that could be easily tidied. Seemed to work pretty well, which I can attest to as I got thoroughly and effectively soaked with little in the way of collateral damage.

Despite the fact that I wasn't leaving.

Bastards.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Fri May 11, 2007 12:31 pm

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 13:21, 11th May 2007
Last year they introduced the 'designated fun zones' into which people had to go for hot, wet action - mainly to stop random passers by from getting stuff thrown at them and keep things in an area that could be easily tidied.

There's also something to be said for preventing people from getting carried away. In my first year I was shot with a water pistol by some jubilant kids, but still had 2 exams to go. I was less than amused.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Return to The Sinner's Main Board