Home

TheSinner.net

Exam beard

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Exam beard

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri May 11, 2007 7:04 pm

I've not shaved in a week, and I can tell lots of other people haven't either. So, exam beards:

+ Cuts down on inconvenient shaving time
+ Eliminates danger of injury during shaving due to tiredness.
+ Adds to generally unkempt look

- Itchyness is distracting
- Not popular amongst the ladies

Opinions?

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Insight on Fri May 11, 2007 7:44 pm

I miss mine - not had a beard since I left Ye Olde Town, my dad approved immensely.

If I tried one here would be grand disaster as there's about 3 weeks between my two exams...

They're also useful for facilitating (as noted) a general air or unkemptness &, perhaps, poverty. This may help support one's case on interview for a bung from SSS or parentsl units.

[hr]

Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Insight

Re:

Postby fluffy on Fri May 11, 2007 7:45 pm

I think the fact it is INCREDIBLY unpopular with the ladies should give you ten bonus points. My boyf gets as far as day three stubble before i start making a rumpus, but really, shave!!!!!! yuck :(

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby QuadrAlien on Fri May 11, 2007 8:48 pm

Well, I take Comp Sci, and have all my exams within two days of another over the course of under a week, so I really don't think I need to be worrying about that last point until they're over.

[hr]

But still at night, when darkness rules again,
Whispering shadows creeping through the lanes,
Evil creatures of the expelled magician,
Oh, it's a fight you'll never win...
Somewhere in chaos we all find ourselves,
This destruction is the only tale we tell,
White is black, black is white,
Right is wrong and wrong is right,
Nothing ever feels this cold inside your heart...
QuadrAlien

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Fri May 11, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting QuadrAlien from 21:48, 11th May 2007
I take Comp Sci

I thin kthis is reason enough for you not to worry about the last point.
papercutheart

Re:

Postby Orcas on Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting papercutheart from 21:58, 11th May 2007
Quoting QuadrAlien from 21:48, 11th May 2007
I take Comp Sci

I thin kthis is reason enough for you not to worry about the last point.

Hahaha, ouch...
Orcas

Re:

Postby JAK on Fri May 11, 2007 9:14 pm

I actually started growing a beard over easter to prepare for this. Or because I couldn't be bothered shaving. Then I changed it to a goatee because I couldn't be bothered shaving it all off, which sort of ruined the plan.

Oh well. At least it doesn't look too bad. Although I am a maths student, so subject to the same problems as Jamie...

[hr]

I got my BBC
I got my BBC
JAK

Re:

Postby Mutley on Fri May 11, 2007 10:57 pm

I started an exam beard around this time 2 years ago... its still attached, im still poverty stricken, mostly unkempt although gave it a neat trim for a recent job interview. After initial protestations my girlfriend is now rather attached to the beard, and gets rather annoyed if i suggest shaving it off. The itching goes away after a while... so i think you have to take the rough with the smooth (pardon the pun). Go beards yarr - ohh and they have the added bonus of adding a level of authenticity to pirate/hobo/terrorist costumes.

[hr]

So how is life, love and the endless pursuit of happiness?
So how is life, love and the endless pursuit of happiness?
Mutley

Re:

Postby abc123 on Fri May 11, 2007 11:10 pm

oh what! beards are, well CAN be, sexy! I say you all grow one! :-)
abc123

Re:

Postby somewhere only we know on Fri May 11, 2007 11:35 pm

even the ginger ones?
somewhere only we know

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat May 12, 2007 12:27 am

As I've been *studying* (whatever that is...) for the last couple of weeks, I'd built up a nice (and indeed: complemented by the[okay...two] ladies!) stubly-beard-shadow thing that appeared most weekends due to shaving only once aweek. That said, I shaved only a couple of days ago, so I'm currently running on a bit of a sorry excuse for a pre-exam beard-stubble fiasco.

Given that I have exams on both the first and last days of exams (with another four between first and flast exams), I should have plenty of opportunity for sexy* exam beardiness over the next week and a half...

*- Probably/resoundingly/definitely not sexy in the slightest.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby MacMan on Sat May 12, 2007 1:26 am

I would be tempted by the idea of an exam beard, however that seems to be the only part of my general appearances that hasn't deteriorated in this hellish period. I've had many unkempt beards before now, but generally they are not academically related and a more down to me being a lazy bastard!
MacMan

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sat May 12, 2007 8:12 am

Hmm - the attractiveness thing obviously isn't as cut and dried as I'd thought. One lady has already complemented me on this one (despite having some of my breakfast smoothie stuck to the 'tache). It seems to be a bit of a marmite issue though - they either love or loathe them...

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby trouble on Sat May 12, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 09:12, 12th May 2007
It seems to be a bit of a marmite issue though - they either love or loathe them...

[hr]

hmm..I'm not so sure... a (not in a completely metrosexual way) "kept" beard can be sexy. That's not to say that it needs to be meticulously trimmed or anything but the man o' the hills style neither feels nor looks good.but that's just my opinion.

[hr]

"Let's play master and servant."

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100566
trouble

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sat May 12, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting trouble from 09:23, 12th May 2007
Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 09:12, 12th May 2007
It seems to be a bit of a marmite issue though - they either love or loathe them...

[hr]

hmm..I'm not so sure... a (not in a completely metrosexual way) "kept" beard can be sexy. That's not to say that it needs to be meticulously trimmed or anything but the man o' the hills style neither feels nor looks good.but that's just my opinion.

[hr]

"Let's play master and servant."

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100566

You're quite right - but I think that exam beard seldom falls into the kept category.

In other news, I tried some T-gel on mine this morning in the shower and am pleased to report a considerable decrease in itching. Huzzah!

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby abc123 on Sat May 12, 2007 2:34 pm

nice...
abc123

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sat May 12, 2007 3:19 pm

Electric razor, for the win.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat May 12, 2007 3:22 pm

Quoting fluffy from 20:45, 11th May 2007
I think the fact it is INCREDIBLY unpopular with the ladies should give you ten bonus points. My boyf gets as far as day three stubble before i start making a rumpus, but really, shave!!!!!! yuck :(

[hr]

Were you not posting for a date with some australian guy on the i saw you board? I hope your bpyf doesnt know about that! Unless you met up with the aussie and ur now together in which case, yay!

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sat May 12, 2007 4:16 pm

Say "no" to exam time beards: just admit you're gay, even during exams.

Oh, you meant a different kind of beard.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sat May 12, 2007 4:21 pm

On a more constructive note, guys for the love of god please please please shave right before a date, don't think "oh, I shaved this morning, so it's ok." Kissing the girl actually hurts her if you haven't shaved! Is that the impression you want to give, that kissing you (and thus anything else, you know you're gunning for more anyway) hurts?!
So shaving=more action. Goddamn shave!

(I realise that this is in great contrast to the "bad boy" look that is also so attractive. BUT! You just not shaving is NOT a "bad boy" look.)
Bonnie

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board