Home

TheSinner.net

Why do we get drunk ?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Why do we get drunk ?

Postby AuZ on Sun May 13, 2007 1:04 am

Hey all,

First time I write something as stupid as that but also so deeeep,. I am curentlyu drunkwq and obviouslty tryihng to write somthing proper on thew sinnere.
WHY DO WE GET DRUNKE ? I am havingh fun but i fdknow thate in a few hours ri ll fbe feeling do bad :-(... Just why fdo qwe do thattr ??
AuZ

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Sun May 13, 2007 1:38 am

Lolzers
papercutheart

Re:

Postby Orcas on Sun May 13, 2007 6:43 am

To provide amusement when we read the sinner and find threads like this one.
Orcas

Re:

Postby fluffy on Sun May 13, 2007 8:42 am

because alcohol is a poison? normally i disconnect my internet before a night out so as to avoid funnies like this..!

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun May 13, 2007 9:57 am

Physically or psychologically/philosophically?

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby AuZ on Sun May 13, 2007 12:00 pm

Lmao, just woke up and seen my own thread :(. Shame.... Hangover is bad !
AuZ

Re:

Postby MacMan on Sun May 13, 2007 3:17 pm

I find it very hard to type that badly when drunk, although i use a Mac. There is an argument that says Macs are designed with the drunk / high in mind.

Getting drunk is a good temporary method of getting over the depression caused by work / Uni / society in general. These days it is the only method that is considered legal and acceptable.
MacMan

Re:

Postby novium on Sun May 13, 2007 3:33 pm

they do say alcohol is a depressant.
Apparently exercise temporarily lifts depression.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby ribs on Sun May 13, 2007 5:02 pm

Exercise takes effort though.

[hr]

"It's hard to be modest when you're as good as I am"
Muhammad Ali
Summer is a state of mind.
ribs

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Sun May 13, 2007 5:16 pm

'Depressant' in this case means that it makes your reactions and/or mental processes slower, rather than refering to emotional state.

Have to say I've never fully understood the 'drink yourself happy' thing - I've always found that alcohol just amplifies whatever mood I was already in, so drinking when I'm down just makes me feel more down (and less capable of reasoning with myself that it's not that bad).

Unfortunately, if you're feeling down/stressed then exercise is probably the last thing you feel like doing!

[hr]

If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Raindog on Sun May 13, 2007 6:40 pm

I find that it is a deppressant the morning after as the symptoms to my hangover have went from a ticky tummy to in my old age fear, paranoia, feeling of impending doom and sweating from every orophice, but this i have to say is when i have been on a three day bender.
Raindog

Re:

Postby Frank on Sun May 13, 2007 7:14 pm

I think everyone's good friend G'kar has the answer here!

Not this:
"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free"

(Some epic speeches must be spread, you see), but this conversation:

Catherine Saki, "Why?"
G'kar, "Why not."
Catherine Saki, "Not an answer..."
G'kar, "Oh, yes it is. It simply not an answer you like or an answer you expected. There is a difference. Narns, Humans, Centauri, we all do what we do for the same reason, because it seemed like a good idea at the time."

And for emphasis:

{Narns, Humans, Centauri, we all do what we do for the same reason, because it seemed like a good idea at the time.}

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun May 13, 2007 10:13 pm

It's not necessarily a depressant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of ... n_the_body

Yes I know, just cause it's wiki doesn't mean it's right. If it bothers you, go read the sources/references.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Mon May 14, 2007 4:12 pm

Quoting Amorphous from 18:16, 13th May 2007
Have to say I've never fully understood the 'drink yourself happy' thing - I've always found that alcohol just amplifies whatever mood I was already in, so drinking when I'm down just makes me feel more down (and less capable of reasoning with myself that it's not that bad).

I have found that a pint of cider, a pork pie and sitting on top of the hill watching the sun go down makes me feel a lot less angry at whatever's been bugging me that day.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Raindog on Mon May 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Prob cos' nothing could be as bad as a pork pie and a pint of cider
Raindog

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Mon May 14, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting raindog from 17:24, 14th May 2007
Prob cos' nothing could be as bad as a pork pie and a pint of cider

2 pork pies?
Fozzy Bear