Home

TheSinner.net

Latest Poll: Accommodation

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Latest Poll: Accommodation

Postby JohnQPublic on Wed May 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Latest Poll...

Live in any major city, and your rent for one week will be equivalent to what you'd pay here in St Andrews in a month, and you'll get less space.

St Andrews' Uni accommodation is very reasonably priced, especially given the state of the present housing market. Quit whining.

They were making a loss of £550k p/a before the phased rises began in 2004.

Makes sense.
JohnQPublic

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed May 16, 2007 4:57 pm

What a load of shite.

I live in a two bedroom house in Edinburgh and my rent is £270 a month.

My rent in St Andrews was £280 a month for one room in a five bedroom house.

The losses they were making are easilly acredited to:

1. Old buildings.
2 Very Very Poor management.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby ka25 on Wed May 16, 2007 5:06 pm

In London you would pay that in a week though.

I still think uni accomodation was slightly overpriced though since you didn't have the freedom you have in your own flat (ie you were treated like children) and the food wasn't great.

Saying that though, I was quite happy to pay for it for 4 years

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102222
ka25

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Wed May 16, 2007 5:17 pm

Quoting JohnQPublic from 17:44, 16th May 2007
Latest Poll...

Live in any major city, and your rent for one week will be equivalent to what you'd pay here in St Andrews in a month, and you'll get less space.

An ensuite room in halls at Imperial is only about £20 more a week than DRA is.
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby bdw on Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting ka25 from 18:06, 16th May 2007
In London you would pay that in a week though.[hr]

Rent per person in a decent flat in London near the City is generally £160-£200/week. Spending £270/week on rent would be utter lunacy with the mortgage rates on offer.
When I started at St Andrews, the most expensive private tenancy I knew of was £60/week and the most expensive residence (New Hall catered) must have been about £50/week - what is it proposed to increase to now?
bdw

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Wed May 16, 2007 5:51 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 17:57, 16th May 2007
What a load of shite.

I live in a two bedroom house in Edinburgh and my rent is £270 a month.

Yeah, but what part of Edinburgh's that? If it's that cheap as well as habitable then I'm surprised. I've lived in Edinburgh all my days, property prices are getting out of hand.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Fionnlagh on Wed May 16, 2007 6:19 pm

I'm another person living in London, and finding it not significantly more expensive. I live 7 minutes from Canary Wharf, in a brand new building that is fitted to a very high standard, and there are flats in the building going for about £550 a month. I certainly know which I think would be better value

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37102526&l=9f7bca06b0
Fionnlagh

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed May 16, 2007 6:32 pm

Yes, thats what it comes down to in the end - value.

St Andrean houses are not good value for money.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby novium on Wed May 16, 2007 8:03 pm

But hasn't london managed to beat tokyo as the most expensive city in the world?
Quoting ka25 from 18:06, 16th May 2007
In London you would pay that in a week though.

I still think uni accomodation was slightly overpriced though since you didn't have the freedom you have in your own flat (ie you were treated like children) and the food wasn't great.

Saying that though, I was quite happy to pay for it for 4 years

[hr]

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby MacMan on Wed May 16, 2007 11:22 pm

The way I look at it, if you're not happy with price rises in halls then start selling hall property to pay for the rent!
MacMan

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu May 17, 2007 12:00 am

The prices of accommodation in St Andrews is a reflection of the quality of service provided.

Those of you who have lived in other Universities' halls of residence will know that St Andreans get a far better service than most of their counterparts in other UK institutions. Thus, the rent is proportionally higher.

In the year 2001/2002, a single room in McIntosh was around £2200, meaning that since then there has been an average of 10% per annum increase above inflation. I have observed quality go up during my time there and subsequent years.

Chances are you're getting value for money (though probably not as much as I was). The question is whether the level of quality is required and wanted.

For a reasonably-fitted self-catered box room on campus down south, I'm paying £275/month. For that I get a rather measly space in a kitchen, a box, and a nice cleaner who comes in once a fortnight. It's not DRA, but it suits my needs.

I know others who have quite comfortable student flats in Edinburgh for £260-£270 a month on the south side of town, with prices in Marchmont and Morningside not much higher.

If you don't like the rent you're paying (which is ludicrous for a student budget), then get them to step down the quality of your halls.

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby macgamer on Thu May 17, 2007 7:55 am

What people are forgetting is that if you study in London you get an addition £1000 loan in order to cover the inflated living costs.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby no longer in st a's on Thu May 17, 2007 11:55 pm

I'm curious as to why no one seems to have considered organising a sit-in or similar to protest the high rental prices, seeing as it seems a pretty common opinion that they are far too high for what you actually get. You could at least demand the building of cheaper places in the future, rather than more and more DRA. Seems like one of the few things a large proportion of students actually agree about. And if nothing else, the uni wouldn't like the bad press.
no longer in st a's

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu May 17, 2007 11:55 pm

I've seen student halls in London, and let me tell you, they're small. I mean, really small. "Ensuite" usually consists of a toilet bolted into the wall next to a shower head, with a concrete floor and standing room for one only. Even Sallies and Regs are palatial compared to that.

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Fri May 18, 2007 10:22 am

To be honest I'd far sooner have affordable university accommodation than luxurious. Albany and Fife Park are cheap as dirt and there's nothing wrong with them (well, Albany certainly).

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby fluffy on Fri May 18, 2007 10:37 am

What is DRA now - about £500 a month? that's £125 a week!!

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby Raindog on Fri May 18, 2007 10:45 am

The cheapest houses for a major city is prob Dundee. And the music scene is buzzing accross thier what with the View and the law up and coming artists. I might just go back after all.
Raindog

Return to The Sinner's Main Board