Home

TheSinner.net

Is love in the air?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Is love in the air?

Postby Lily on Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:23 pm

Seeing Valentine's Day in St. Andrews always makes me wonder, do we date here just because there's nothing better to do? I mean, how many people spend more time worrying about members of the opposite sex here than they did anywhere else? I spent my life at home thinking about studying, work, and friends. Here, most of my time is occupied by men. As is the time of most of my friends (mostly the female ones), and as we all wandered the streets on V-Day, I had to admit that at least I began having some size issues regarding the flowers I received. It seemed like V-Day is when singles of St. Andrews ask, how much am I getting? And why is that person getting more? Whereas those of us with significant others, still wonder, is it going to last? Am I good enough? Will I be one of the statistics here who marries someone from St. Andrews. Is that statistic simply there because we're bored?
Lily

Re:

Postby Greebo on Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:37 pm

The statistic is there because university is a highly sociable place and so your chances of meeting someone who may become a long term partner are significantly higher than once you're out in the big bad world.

perhaps
Greebo

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:42 pm

I suspect that most things that happen in St Andrews do so because people are bored and can't think of anything better to do. Another thread bemoaning (or celebrating, whatever) the 'wierdness' of people in St Andrews brought up the continuous instances of people here doing things they probably wouldn't think of doing anywhere else. For example, me and two of my flatmates walked the length of the beach and back yesterday, I was continuously strumming 2 chords on an (not-plugged-in) electric guitar, one of them was shaking a tambourine and the other was attempting to play a combination of 'Flower of Scotland' and 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' on his harmonica.
Why? It was honestly the best thing we could think to do. Help us......
[hr][s]My weakness is none of your business[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:41 pm

Whether or not you get bored here probably depends on where you come from. If you come from a large town or city you're may get bored. If you come from a small village, it's really not a big deal.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Ashley on Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:46 pm

Two chords on a guitar continuously? Pah! Even Liam Gallagher's doing that nowadays in Hyde Park.

[hr]When two tribes go to war, a point is all that you can score
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:47 am

Since so many people meet their future wives/husbands at university, fear arises that it is one's only chance to date. Having grown up in the boonies, I can't say that I've dated much. When people bring up the subject, I say that I'm just going to "wait until college" to consider a relationship. I seem to have this notion in my head that the odds are the greatest when one is at university. Especially since it is very likely that I will move back to the boonies after I am finished with college.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby Zen on Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:10 am

yeh there's also the thing that because St A is so small the coupliness is more in your face i.e. i decided to go for a random walk before Valentine's day and could barely move for all the happy, smiling young couples holding hands and generally being gooey and smug. So when it's in your face like that you suddenly start thinking, "wow they look soooo happy. hmmmm maybe it's about time i got a relationship again so i can look that happy too." Don't let them fool you, just don't. :)
Zen

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:49 pm

boonies?
*scraches head*

[hr]Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:59 pm

"Boonies" is, I think, an American slang term for the wilderness. We would call it the "back of beyond" or "the sticks". Think Deliverance Country though with less hospitable residents. A bit like Pitscottie.

[hr]"Oh sing sing sing
For the dying of the day
Sing for the flames that will rip through here
And the smoke that will carry us away"
Al

Re:

Postby MoJo on Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:12 pm

[s]Dj Balloon wrote on 13:49, 24th Feb 2003:
boonies?
*scraches head*

[hr]Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment

American speak for "out in the middle of nowhere." St Andrews?
MoJo

Re:

Postby Elizabeth on Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:36 am

I have noticed, now that I'm actually over here, that so many people have significant others. This sucks, because then even if you want to get to know a nice young chap, you can't for fear his girlfriend will go absolutely ballistic!

Thus far it's my only complaint about St. A's...(since I'm self-catered, that is)
Elizabeth

Re:

Postby stan on Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:38 pm

[s]Unregisted User Elizabeth wrote on 21:35, 24th Feb 2003:
I have noticed... that so many people have significant others... even if you want to get to know a nice young chap, you can't for fear his girlfriend will go absolutely ballistic!

well i think that makes elizabeth the only single female in st andrews. either that all or they all say they're taken just to get rid of me.
stan

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:47 pm

There's loads of single gals in St. Andrews that I know of, and they're all on the hunt.

When my mates from other uni's come over here they can't beleive how shy all the guys in this town are.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby stan on Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:50 pm

[s]Cola Cube wrote on 14:47, 25th Feb 2003:
There's loads of single gals in St. Andrews that I know of, and they're all on the hunt.

When my mates from other uni's come over here they can't beleive how shy all the guys in this town are.

thats me told.
stan

Cola Cube, you are so right.

Postby Bonnie on Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:25 am

Trust me, guys. Almost every girl I know except two are continuously on the prowl. One isn't because she's already caught her ape of a boyfriend (most people who know me, know who I'm talking about-- ugh he's so gross!-- better to be a hermit than date that thing!) while the other purposely doesn't try and then gets sent 20 red roses this morning, love notes through the post, rag week hits from secret admirers, picked up in clubs, gets asked to dance for EVERY dance and all by no less than four different guys! FOUR LOVELY, CHARMING, SWEET, AVAILABLE MEN (rather than immature boys)! How does she do it?
Is it that by NOT trying she succeeds? Oh, yeah, I forgot-- she's gorgeous, funny, smart, loves football, etc. Maybe that's why she has guys (literally) falling at her feet.

But, seriously, men, the women around here are definately getting that Spring sparkle in their eyes. Watch out!
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:28 am

That sounds like some sort of disease... Or possible heat.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Ashley on Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:12 pm

[s]Cola Cube wrote on 14:47, 25th Feb 2003:

I wouldn't say I'm particularly shy, the only time is have such a problem is when it's someone I actually really like. Then, I still don't know what to say. Sod's law I guess.

Only other explanation is the "reserved" British way of doing thing, I guess. One American girl I know took it as rudeness when, well, they didn't act American I suppose.

[hr]
When two tribes go to war, a point is all that you can score
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Return to The Sinner's Main Board