Home

TheSinner.net

scottish ££££ in england

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Thu May 17, 2007 12:39 pm

Quoting Ashley from 10:12, 17th May 2007

Ha. And if you do find yourself however in need of spending exotic notes in middle England however, go to Tesco, they'll accept anything!

[hr]

Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day

Not quite accurate. Some Tesco stores still have those self-service machines that will not accept Scottish notes. My father and I were in a store a couple of months ago, and he tried to use a scottish tenner. After three minutes of it not being accepted, he was about to try another note when this apologetic assistant came running over, apologised to us for the fact that these machines had not been updated yet, and offered to change the note for us at one of the tills!!
thebrookster

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Thu May 17, 2007 12:51 pm

I think £1 coins are only legal tender up to the value of £20.
Or maybe it's £100.

Either way, you can't reasonably buy a car with pound coins.
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby fatboy on Thu May 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting Steveo from 06:47, 17th May 2007
Scottish notes are prefectly acceptable in England and Wales.

Northern Irish notes are not accepted outside Northern Ireland.

[hr]

Get off my internet.

Ive had Northern Irish notes accepted in both England and Scotland.
fatboy

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Thu May 17, 2007 1:32 pm

i've always wanted to try refusing to accept english bank notes if a shop doesnt accept scottish ones. I'd like to see the reaction if i demanded all my change to be in £1 coins (or 1p coins. :P
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby Frank on Thu May 17, 2007 3:55 pm

When I was down in the big trainstation in Liverpool over last summer, I realised I might have problems paying for things as all I had were Scottish banknotes. So, after ambling up to the counter at a quiet Baguet De Jour (or something similar), I asked the man if he minded me paying in Scottish notes.

Suffice to say, confused as he was by them, he was more curious as to why they *wouldn't* be accepted! He was a polish chap and I was talking away to him for a couple of minutes as he was telling me he'd never been to Scotland, but now was really curious to go in light of that. He also thanked me for being a polite person amidst all these "really rude English people"!

That was a turnaround I hadn't expected, but my tactic from now on, when dealing with Scottish money in England, will be to ask first. I mean: You don't get polite criminals, do you?

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Lid on Thu May 17, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting ewan husami from 13:51, 17th May 2007
I think £1 coins are only legal tender up to the value of £20.
Or maybe it's £100.

Either way, you can't reasonably buy a car with pound coins.

According to Whitaker's Almanack 2007, £1 coins are legal tender up to an unlimited amount. So yes, you could reasonably buy a car with pound coins.

But as has been discussed above, ad nauseum, the meaning of legal tender is so narrow and pointless. For example, cheques and cards aren't legal tender, but people accept them.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Thu May 17, 2007 6:36 pm

Quoting Steveo from 06:47, 17th May 2007
Scottish notes are prefectly acceptable in England and Wales.

Northern Irish notes are not accepted outside Northern Ireland.

[hr]

Absolute bollocks. I've worked in Scotland and Wales and dealt with NI notes many a time. Likewise, my brother lives in Belfast and he's always bringing NI notes home and using them in Wales. Perfectly legal and accepted by all except the most dim witted.

On another note (ahem), I have several times had to deal with narky Southern English people who don't want Scottish notes in change... "I don't want Scottish money, can oy ave English notes instead innit?" and I'm like "erm, *Bank* of England notes, and NO, you can't.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu May 17, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting papercutheart from 11:33, 17th May 2007
Scottish noted are Promisory notes - which if you actually check on the notes it says "Promise to pay the bearer on demand Xamount".

That's irrelevant: English notes say exactly the same thing. You could argue that the difference is that the Bank of England is the central bank of the country rather than a retail bank, but that is also irrelevant. So is the fact that Scottish notes technically aren't 'legal tender': as has been explained, that is only a technical point relating to the fact that a note that is legal tender cannot legally be refused in payment of a debt, whereas Scottish notes, not being 'legal tender', legally could be. This doesn't give a shopkeeper any additional right to refuse to accept them: a shopkeeper can refuse to serve a customer on almost any basis he likes, and in the case of refusals to accept Scottish notes, this is merely the exercise of that right. He could just as legally refuse to accept English £50 notes, which is also common enough, or more trivially he could refuse, say, a commemorative coin on the basis that he didn't like the picture.

The real issue, as has also been pointed out, is that certain staff don't know a real Scottish note from a fake one. This is a larger problem in multiples, who decline to provide adequate training and then form company policies that forbid their own staff from exercising common sense; this is particularly galling in the case of Scottish companies like Stagecoach. A small, independent retailer or publican is far more likely to accept the notes if they're being proffered by someone who doesn't look shifty. When I come back from Scotland, if I happen to have any Scottish notes I do the sensible thing and use them to pay for my lunch in the office cantine.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Gealle on Thu May 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Scottish notes are classed as promissory notes. They are not legal tender. In Scotland, commonly only £1 and £2 coins are legal tender; there are some vexed points on very strange quanitities of other coin being accepted as legal tender. In terms of notes, no note can be classed legal tender in Scotland.

Any dispute, I'll throw my banking qualifications in the ring.

Edited: Yeh, I didn't bother reading page 2, papercutheart and orudge are going along the right tracks, broadly speaking.
[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby HEED on Thu May 17, 2007 8:56 pm

From my experience, I have hardly ever had a Scottish note rejected in Darlington or places nearby like Newcastle, Durham or Middlesbrough. Tends to actually be a few in circulation, and is just more of a game of gettin rid of it as quick as possible hehe. Rather easily done tho.....
ZOMG! it woz da LOLZ0rds
HEED

Re:

Postby Idealist on Thu May 17, 2007 9:55 pm

Ok clearly I was wrong, in fact I think I remember one of my economic-geek mates telling me something about all money belonging to the Bank of England or something...? Its just annoying when some places will take your notes and others wont!

Anyway, I'm over it now...this thread is getting a wee bit long and dull!

[hr]

[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
Idealist

Re:

Postby bramble on Thu May 17, 2007 10:09 pm

I was worried as i headed down south today and had only scottish notes - took my mum straight out for dinner and it wasnt a problem at all (and one note was a clydesdale £20). That said i have had problems in the past, at Boots i had the manager over, but theyve always accepted it in the end. As an aside, i worked in a bar here 2 summers ago and we were told to take scottish and northern irish notes if they were offered and i actually saw, and accepted, more than one northern irish note. I live in Bedford btw, Luton airport is only 20 mins away so maybe thats why people tend to be more accepting here?! Anyway it doesnt matter, some places do and some places dont accept them seems to be the common theme here ;)

[hr]

Ich will die Ruhe stören...
Ich will die Ruhe stören...
bramble

Re:

Postby JohnQPublic on Thu May 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Scottish notes are legal tender for the payment of all debts, yes. However, this does not mean that someone needs to accept them legally at a kebab shop or newsagent.

A contract is made when party A makes an offer to party B and party B accepts. The offer is made not when you look at the price tag and bring it to the counter (eg the price tag is not an offer, but an indication of what the merchant is willing to sell it for) and when you bring it up to the counter and offer money to the agent at the shop, and he accepts it, a valid contract is formed.

Someone at a shop would be perfectly within their rights to deny a Scottish, N.I. or even an English note (if they were dumb enough to) because it is their prerogative whether they are willing to accept your money for their goods. Annoying yes, but now that Gordon Brown will be PM I suspect that the Scots will invade England again and bring their own goofy currency with them.
JohnQPublic

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu May 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu May 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Something to do with the metal strip down the side I think. Some shops use those special pens though.
Quoting jono from 10:02, 17th May 2007
People don't like them because they don't know how to tell a real one from a fake. With English notes it's common knowledge. Scottish notes are a different matter.

Anyone know how? It'd be useful to know.

[hr]

Exclusive to The Sinner, and all other fora.

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Fri May 18, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting Gealle from 20:10, 17th May 2007
Scottish notes are classed as promissory notes. They are not legal tender. In Scotland, commonly only £1 and £2 coins are legal tender; there are some vexed points on very strange quanitities of other coin being accepted as legal tender. In terms of notes, no note can be classed legal tender in Scotland.

Any dispute, I'll throw my banking qualifications in the ring.

Edited: Yeh, I didn't bother reading page 2, papercutheart and orudge are going along the right tracks, broadly speaking.
[hr]

Funky flunky munky...

Work in a bank myself, the joys.
papercutheart

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board