Home

TheSinner.net

Make Me Jealous

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Make Me Jealous

Postby bdw on Sat May 19, 2007 12:54 pm

Summer is finally here and, once more, there's no prospect for holibobs for me.

So please compound my misery by boasting about your glorious, globe-trotting summer plans! Alternatively, if you think that you have a worse couple of months planned than my confinement in a windowless room in Hounslow, then do your worst - misery loves company...
bdw

Re:

Postby orudge on Sat May 19, 2007 1:15 pm

If I can afford it, I'd like to go out to see Dad in Brazil. However, likely enough, I'll just be at Grandad's in North Wales trying to earn a bob or two doing nothing glamorous.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby AuZ on Sat May 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Belfast, then Mexico, then France... And work :(
AuZ

Re:

Postby the_leish on Sat May 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting bdw from 13:54, 19th May 2007
Summer is finally here and, once more, there's no prospect for holibobs for me.

So please compound my misery by boasting about your glorious, globe-trotting summer plans! Alternatively, if you think that you have a worse couple of months planned than my confinement in a windowless room in Hounslow, then do your worst - misery loves company...

I'm on the same boat. I get to work for the full summer and then come back to St Andrews for a fun-filled year of studying. Yay...

[hr]

Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
the_leish

Re:

Postby Colleen on Sat May 19, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm going backpacking in Italy for, er, two weeks and a bit at the end of summer.

Unfortunately, I'm spending the rest of the summer cleaning nursing homes in Southport, where apparently *all* the elderly people in the North-West go to die, complaining about asylum seekers and tea as they go. If we have another ridiculously hot summer then it averages at about one death a week. Incredibly depressing.

It's not as awful as I make out - it has the moments of being Rewarding - but generally it's just godawfuly depressing because all the homes are so low on staff and resources that even us humble cleaners end up doing a fairly large shrift of care work.

Plus, to make matters that bit more fun, I'll be living with the mid-life crisis parents and my sister. All summer. That's more depressing than the old people.

[hr]

taking shots for mother nature
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat May 19, 2007 3:37 pm

I'll be doing consultancy work for the summer back home in Cumbria.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Sat May 19, 2007 4:02 pm

I'm getting paid to go to Hamburg next week.
Then I have to do some work.
Then I'm going to Italy for a week.
Then I have to do some work.
Then I'm going to Sutherland for a week.
Then I have to do lots of work.
Then I'm getting paid to go to Australia.
Then I have to do lots more work.
Then I'm going to visit my parents in Portugal.
Then I'm going straight to Kathmandu.

And that takes me up to the end of the year.
Then I have to do some serious amounts of work.

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sat May 19, 2007 4:08 pm

Four weeks working at a language school @ 6days/week, 10hours/day @ £7.50/hour = £1800, then Morocco baby!

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby maenad on Sat May 19, 2007 5:49 pm

Which language school? I tried to get a job with EF last year but didn't hear a thing and apparently they're not very organised at all.

I am wandering round the UK, Ireland, France, Belgium and Holland with American students for a total of six weeks, and volunteering in Ireland for 10 days or so. I get to travel and have someone else pay for it! Of course, I shall be working, but the work looks like fun.

For the last six weeks I will most likely stay at home and prepare for next year, as I have a lot to catch up on and my parents aren't pressuring me to find another job (which would most likely be difficult anyway). Might pop over to visit a friend in Luxembourg though.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sat May 19, 2007 7:04 pm

Paleo music festival in Switzerland in July. Not much else.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Freaker on Sat May 19, 2007 7:28 pm

That's what I might do, too :D !

Apart from that, the G8 Summit in Heiligendamm, a trip to Berlin to get a visa sorted out. And hopefully a trip to the US by boat, whether freighter or cruise I don't know yet. Anyone interested in cruising Southampton-New York in early August, drop me a line!

Quoting maenad from 18:49, 19th May 2007
Might pop over to visit a friend in Luxembourg though.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Sat May 19, 2007 7:29 pm

Might pop over to visit a friend in Luxembourg though.

Did that last year. So few people in Luxembourg, but they seem to get everywhere...

[hr]

Gubbins

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sat May 19, 2007 9:14 pm

I'll be enjoying my holiday in the office, most likely. So don't feel that bad about not getting away anywhere.

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat May 19, 2007 10:39 pm

I just did a HUGE fart.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sun May 20, 2007 12:48 am

Which language school? I tried to get a job with EF last year but didn't hear a thing and apparently they're not very organised at all.

Cicero Languages International, I've heard bad things about EF from all over the place.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun May 20, 2007 12:58 am

I'll be working in insurance... which looks to be my boring life for several years... and still living with parents.

Nice people in my office, though. I'm the youngest, at 23, by a long way, considering one of my bosses is married with two grade school kids, the other we suspect is a CIA agent-- he's always "golfing", and the last in the office is my mother's age. Nice people, but it's not galavanting around the world like I want to do.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Sun May 20, 2007 1:54 am

Golf, therefore CIA???????

How on earth did you guys make that connection? Please enlighten me, my curiosity is severally aroused!!
thebrookster

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun May 20, 2007 3:39 am

Members of his family are (apparently, I only starting working there and the other two in the office told me these things) FBI agents and other law enforcement agents. He's the only one who isn't law enforcement and yet he's smarter than insurance jobs require. He leaves and comes back at random times, working in insurance could let you know a lot about people if you went looking, he takes frequent short vacations. I noted that he has many different buddies who call him during the day, and they talk about sports, going to sporting events, and placing bets on events--- I joked to my other coworkers that he's speaking in code when he does this.

C'mon, you don't make stories up when you see peculiar behaviour? It's probably that this guy finds his job a bit boring (another theory is that he still has ADD) and finds he needs to get up and go or else he'll turn into a bitter stressed middle-aged man.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun May 20, 2007 7:35 am

Well, the proof will be if he taps you on the shoulder on Monday and goes "Stop posting about me on the Sinner" then you'll know he's CIA :p

My summer plans - around St Andrews until the end of June, back to Bradford thereafter, maybe working at the Cancer Therapeutics institute. Hopefully spending a week at my friend's Swiss ski chalet as time off...

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Sun May 20, 2007 8:08 am

My summer involves finishing my thesis...what fun. Still, I'm in a nice enough environment to do it (I live out in the country) and it will be great once it's over.

Am vaguely contemplating a trip to Hawaii too before the end of the year, as a post-thesis treat!!

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board