Home

TheSinner.net

Cutty Sark Fire

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Cutty Sark Fire

Postby Power Metal Dom on Mon May 21, 2007 5:46 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6675381.stm

This looks pretty bad :( I must be off to bed now but I hope the Cutty Sark is still there in some form when I wake up :S

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Mon May 21, 2007 6:39 am

According to the news, it's 100% ablaze now. It's really sad :(

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Mon May 21, 2007 7:38 am

What's worse is that it could have been deliberately started!

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby ash-ding on Mon May 21, 2007 8:04 am

ha ha
ash-ding

Re:

Postby Nickel on Mon May 21, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting ash-ding from 09:04, 21st May 2007
ha ha

what?
Nickel

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon May 21, 2007 8:48 am

I really hope this was started as some kind of protest, and not just some random act of vadalism. If the later is the case then I really don't think I have a future in a country like this. :-(

We seem to have lost a generation (or more) to lives of self importance and no respect.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby ka25 on Mon May 21, 2007 9:28 am

Its a shame this has happened as it is when any historical thing is destroyed but what exactly is the significance of this specific ship?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102222
ka25

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon May 21, 2007 9:49 am

It was very fast (some say the fastest for her size and type).

It is one of the few surviving "tea clipper", a design of ship that helped Britain become what it was.

Tea Clippers were a revolution in design at the time and much of their novel design's are replicated in modern sea-going vessels.

According to some sources, only "The Victory" is held with more esteem than the Cutty Sark in the seafairing world.

Editted: I didn't realise it was the only one left
Editted: Apparently there is another called the Carrick which is the Cutty Sark's sister ship. Although, the Carrick is dismasted and rotting, so perhaps the Cutty Sark is/was the only complete remaining example?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon May 21, 2007 10:15 am

As an aside, whilst researching this case I discovered the following which I had wrong information about:

31 July 1998. The Criminal Justice Bill removed High Treason and piracy with violence as capital crimes, thus effectively ending capital punishment. I always though treason was still punishable by death - and I'm sure most other people do too.

1971. Arson in Royal Dockyards ceased to be a capital offence, or in fact any specific offence. I often hear "Arson in Royal Dockyards" quoted as a current offence. This is quite interesting (for me atleast). I guess there needn't be a specific crime for it now that ships are made of metal and arson itself is a serious crime.

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby JM on Mon May 21, 2007 10:38 am

the fire itself isnt as bad as originally thought, more than 50% of the wood was not on site (going through restoration work) and of the other 50% left, both the hull and bow seem ok, just the centre,

The guy in charge seems to think its repairable. :)

sky.com/news.

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby bdw on Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting munchingfoo from 11:15, 21st May 2007
As an aside, whilst researching this case I discovered the following which I had wrong information about:

31 July 1998. The Criminal Justice Bill removed High Treason and piracy with violence as capital crimes, thus effectively ending capital punishment. I always though treason was still punishable by death - and I'm sure most other people do too.

If memory serves, Protocol No. 13 to the European Convention on Human Rights as implemented by our old friend, the HRA 1998?
bdw

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon May 21, 2007 11:17 am

Quoting munchingfoo from 11:15, 21st May 2007
1971. Arson in Royal Dockyards ceased to be a capital offence, or in fact any specific offence.

How (darkly) funny would it be if this were not the case, and some vandal who thought this would make him looking big in front of his street-racing, hoodie-donning crew and wound up hanged?

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby bdw on Mon May 21, 2007 11:30 am

Which Royal Dockyards are still in use? I'd guess that the Deptford one has long since been declassified.
bdw

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon May 21, 2007 11:41 am

Devonport, Rosyth, Portsmouth. Not sure about Faslane (being Royal, but it is in use - obviously).

Although they are run by private companies, they are still Royal Dockyards.

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon May 21, 2007 12:23 pm

Quoting JM from 11:38, 21st May 2007
the fire itself isnt as bad as originally thought, more than 50% of the wood was not on site (going through restoration work) and of the other 50% left, both the hull and bow seem ok, just the centre,

The guy in charge seems to think its repairable. :)

sky.com/news.

[hr]

I saw this burning outside my bedroom window - didn't look great to me.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon May 21, 2007 1:08 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 09:48, 21st May 2007
I really hope this was started as some kind of protest, and not just some random act of vadalism.

Would that have been better? Protesting what? Maintenance of national monuments while people starve?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon May 21, 2007 1:13 pm

or some kind of terrorism, attacking landmarks. Lots of impact very little risk.

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon May 21, 2007 4:39 pm

What on earth would that protest be about?
Maintainance of wooden ships from charity money?

I can't think of a single cause that justifys burning the Cutty Sark. Particularly as it is just down the street from me...

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby orudge on Mon May 21, 2007 6:37 pm

Rather a shame, I hope that if they do catch who did this (assuming it was indeed arson) that they give them more than just a slap on the wrist.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue May 22, 2007 11:23 am

I'm glad I visited Cutty Sark when I did.

When I first heard about this on CNN, they just said that a beloved, historic, and world-famous tall ship had burned - possibly beyond repair - without mentioning where or which one, then they cut to a long commercial break before returning to talk for half an hour about the fighting in Lebanon. The whole time I was dreadfully worried it was either HMS Victory or USS Constitution that had burnt.

I was actually somewhat relieved to hear it was Cutty Sark under those circumstances, though it is still very sad, and I hope they are able to restore her.

[hr]

Arma virumque cano...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board