Home

TheSinner.net

Chief Invigilator in Younger Hall

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Chief Invigilator in Younger Hall

Postby servus on Mon May 21, 2007 5:33 pm

What's his problem?
servus

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Mon May 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Haha I thought the same during the January exams as well. As a first year, doing my first exam with him made me about 20 times more terrified than I actually needed to be. It was awful. He glared at me because the tip of my finger was resting on my pencil and he had said "pens down" (this was before the exam when he was giving instructions)

*rolls eyes*
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon May 21, 2007 6:25 pm

All pens dow.. ALL pens down please. All pens down. All pens down please.

The only foodstuffs allowed at your table is water, no irn bru, sweets, potato crisps.

There will be no five minutes at the end to anonymise your booklets, do it now PENS DOWN PLEASE.

He's on such a hilarious power trip.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby KateBush on Mon May 21, 2007 7:20 pm

who is it?

[hr]

Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon May 21, 2007 8:13 pm

I thought it was Hitler at first, but his hair was too white and he looked too...normal.

I had him last semester, and so far for two exams this time. Half of me *really* wants to sit right in front of him and put my pens behind my ears/hold it in my mouth. The other half wants me to flee in terror and level the place from far away with heavy artillery.

It'd be a pleasant venue for exams if it wasn't for Lord-General-Supreme Angry McPensdown.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Mon May 21, 2007 8:19 pm

He's a semi-retired dude, I can't remember what he used to do but he pops back up to invigilate exams.

I must admit I absolutely LOVE him. This is partly due to his catchphrases ("Pens down and everyone look at me," "Crystal clear water only,") but also because he gave us 2 hours on a 90 minute exam because it had been billed as such on the exam timetable. Ledge!

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon May 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Amusingly enough, in light of the 'crystal clear water only' comment: I had my Solid State Physics exam in there with him. In light of all wot I learneded (or didn't, in my case) for that module (and indeed the exam itself!) it is abundantly clear that crystal-clear water has something *very* wrong with it, or is in such a form that it's probably undrinkable! I think...

Of course, I expect to have failed that exam, but anyway...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Orcas on Mon May 21, 2007 8:52 pm

Rebel (heh) that I am, I almost always sit towards the back of the exam and he can't see me. So I simply half-listen to the same speech every exam period while I fill in the form.
Orcas

Re:

Postby KateBush on Mon May 21, 2007 9:14 pm

It sounds like it's Dave Roberts- is he grey haired with a beard and a northern accent? With funky waist coat? He used to work for Student Support and wore a legendary hat and was very funky. But also fiery! He retired 2 or 3 years ago I think.

[hr]

KateBush

Re:

Postby Hex on Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 pm

It's not Dave Roberts.
Hex

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Mon May 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting Lid from 19:25, 21st May 2007
All pens dow.. ALL pens down please. All pens down. All pens down please.

The only foodstuffs allowed at your table is water, no irn bru, sweets, potato crisps.

There will be no five minutes at the end to anonymise your booklets, do it now PENS DOWN PLEASE.

He's on such a hilarious power trip.

[hr]

In all my exams they've told you to fill in the front but not to anonymise it until the end.
on another note, how can you anonymise the script when you've got to put your pen down.
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby [James] on Mon May 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting katebush from 22:14, 21st May 2007
It sounds like it's Dave Roberts- is he grey haired with a beard and a northern accent? With funky waist coat? He used to work for Student Support and wore a legendary hat and was very funky. But also fiery! He retired 2 or 3 years ago I think.

Nah, I don't think it's him they're talking about. He has a few catchphrases too though - the thing about "if you require boiled sweets during the exam, please let us know now", and his 5-seconds-before-the-exam-starts "good luck; and be brilliant!"
[James]

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon May 21, 2007 11:45 pm

No, he's been doing the Sports Hall at least this semester, and the last one I seem to recall.

I know who they're on about, but can't quite pull the name out of my memory.

Edit: He retired at the end of the 2004/2005 session, just for sake of interest.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon May 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Dave Roberts? To quote yourself, are you on drugs? :P

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Raindog on Tue May 22, 2007 12:17 am

Dave roberts is sound as da pound man.
Raindog

Re:

Postby sat on Tue May 22, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting [James] from 00:19, 22nd May 2007
Nah, I don't think it's him they're talking about. He has a few catchphrases too though - the thing about "if you require boiled sweets during the exam, please let us know now", and his 5-seconds-before-the-exam-starts "good luck; and be brilliant!"

Or to the exam that leaves before the others end (paraphrasing a bit):
"Leave quietly, even though you'll want to complain about the evil-minded bastards that set your question paper."
sat

Re:

Postby maenad on Tue May 22, 2007 11:59 am

Ha, I thought exactly the same thing!

... You have two hours to do EVERYTHING, there will be no time to anonymise your scripts at the end ... Pens down ...

What, so he's going to force us to stop writing at 11.30 even if our name isn't on the paper? Not to mention everyone else stops the exam then tells you to be sure to annonymise scripts before you've left.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Tue May 22, 2007 12:21 pm

[hr]

Oh, that's Dave Roberts! Yeah, he does the Sports Hall and is 100% sound as a pound, great guy.

I remember the Younger Hall dude from January, don't know who he is but he's a bit heavy-handed, I think.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Bargeed on Wed May 23, 2007 2:47 pm

And he still reads The Sinner
Bargeed

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00 pm

Was perusing the Uni website, attempting to clarify to myself the date results are published when I came upon this rule in the examination rules.

"Candidates may begin writing as soon as they have taken their seats in the examination hall but must stop writing when instructed at the end of the examination."
(Rule 3, taken from http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/AcademicMatters/Examinations/Examinationrulesforcandidates/)

Hummm...
thebrookster

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board