Home

TheSinner.net

Your opinion...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Your opinion...

Postby Don on Tue May 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Hello All,

I am currently an intern at the Careers Centre and one of my main jobs is to update the Careers Centre website. So far I have been mostly working on admin tools for the staff here so you won't have seen any of my work on the website as it is now.

I am in the process of working out a proposal just now for making some major changes/improvemnts to the website and I wanted to see if anyone on here had any suggestions as to how they would like the website improved. At the moment I'm not guarenteeing that any of these changes are going to happen, however if I can show evidence of what students really want to see improved, it will certainly make a stronger case.

The Careers Centre recently did a survey about Information Provision, and while some points arose from that, it wasn't very specific as to what could be done to improve the website, just that people wanted it improved. This post isn't officially from the Careers Centre.

If you have anything you would like to say, please post it on here, or email me on dpm4@st-and.ac.uk. If you are posting on here, please keep it clean, I'm looking for constructive criticisim.

Thanks,

Don

[hr]

Daz, makes your whites #gggggg
Don

Re:

Postby novium on Tue May 29, 2007 7:48 pm

the job notice thing- if it could just be a little more specific, perhaps with the option to limit it to say St Andrews and true part time work.... I signed up for it with that purpose in mind, but for the whole year, I've gotten basically nothing but spam advertising teaching in china or signing up for some graduate program in sales down in england, etc.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Don on Wed May 30, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting novium from 20:48, 29th May 2007
the job notice thing- if it could just be a little more specific, perhaps with the option to limit it to say St Andrews and true part time work.... I signed up for it with that purpose in mind, but for the whole year, I've gotten basically nothing but spam advertising teaching in china or signing up for some graduate program in sales down in england, etc.

If you go to the Careers Website, click on "My Careers Centre" at the bottom left and login, in the centre of the screen there are two links. The first link says:

"You are currently [NOT] RECEIVING general Careers Centre emails. To stop receiving general emails, click HERE."

The second:

You [NOT] SIGNED UP for Job Shop Alerts on: 28/05/2007. To stop receiving alerts, click HERE.

If you are looking for local jobs during term time or the summer, such as bar, hotel or shop work, ensure you are signed up to the second (Job Shop) option.

If you are looking for Jobs which are advertised nationally, such as graduate jobs, internships and events, make sure you are signed up to the first(General CC emails) option, selecting the occupational preferences at the bottom for the kind of jobs you want to be notified about.

[hr]

Don

Re:

Postby Don on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:10 pm

I'm not one to usually bump threads, but I will do so with this one this one time since there was only one reply.

There was a fairly important meeting today and a new website for the Careers Centre looks to be started on very soon and (hopefully) finished for the new academic year. Anyone got any comments to make before the formal proposal is submitted on Monday?

Thanks

Don

[hr]

Don

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:01 pm

I was on the Careers Centre's governing body last year, as well as having regular meetings with Paul and the team to discuss areas of mutual concern. One of the issues that came up was how the Students' Association could help students become more employable, in co-operation with the Centre, and over the last couple of years we've seen some significant advancements, such as the expansion in the provision of and support for volunteering, coupled with accreditation through the Milennium Volunteer Awards scheme, and, although I haven't been around to see what happened with it, Lee Kane's Knowledge Share programme.

It was always my experience that the Careers Centre were always terribly keen to help us out with the promotion of these initiatives. However, because there hadn't been any significant work done by the Centre on their web site, what was going on on the ground wasn't necesarily filtering through to it, and so we were losing what could have been a valuable channel for promoting things like the MV Awards scheme. I haven't checked the site recently, but it occurs to me that this redevelopment might be an opportunity to address the situation by including more information, along with relevant links, on what students are doing for each other, through the Association, that supports career development.

One other thing: I just tried to have a look at the careers web site to find out what the current situation is with the site on these matters, and because I couldn't remember the address I tried to go through the St Andrews web site, but since the redesign I had some trouble finding it - for some reason there's no link to the site through the entry in the 'Administration' section, which seems a bit silly.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Return to The Sinner's Main Board