Home

TheSinner.net

ARE results out today?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Phantasm on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Quoting Freaker from 16:52, 5th Jun 2007
Quoting Phantasm from 16:21, 5th Jun 2007
Quoting Freaker from 08:24, 5th Jun 2007
Did anyone do PY2102 - The Social Contract, and get a really bad grade for the exam? I figured that with the essay I wrote, I would have had to get a 7.5 on the exam to get the final grade I got, and even though I didn't know how to answer half a question, I really thought I did better than that...

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

So what was your final grade? I did PY2102 and got 15 in the essay and an overall grade of 14.7 with the exam so I must have done worse in the exam than the essay then?

[hr]

Dean Learner: "I had a cat once. I dropped a safe on it. It was a write-off, so I stood on it's head."

I nearly always do worse in the exam than in the essay. In this case I got a 17 on the essay and then a 12.2 overall, so I figured the exam must have come out at 7.5 if the weighting was 50-50... But that seems to be a little extreme considering how I've done in the past revising just as much and that I had thought I'd managed to do alright in the exam.

Not that it really matters in the end, it's above 11 and that's all that counts.

[hr]

Yeah, I only answered one question fully and had a decent attempt at the second in the exam but got on alright! How did you get on with PY2101, Aesthetics if you did that module too?

[hr]

Dean Learner: "I had a cat once. I dropped a safe on it. It was a write-off, so I stood on it's head."
Phantasm

Re:

Postby theflirt on Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting Schizophreniccabbage from 10:26, 5th Jun 2007
I do not understand this university's marking system!

17.5 in an exam I walked out of totally thinking I'd failed and 12.7 in Art History - which is the biggest joke of a course EVER! Ah well, still got a first for my Honours subject.

Finally, can relax for the holidays now...

The courses that are "easier" will always be harder to get a good grade in since they will be scaled down to fuck so that they can get the gaussian curve that is ever so important! (pfft). Ditto for the more difficult courses, except they are scaled up of course!

[Woohoo, I am graduating after all! YEAH!]

[hr]

oh pants
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting theflirt from 18:05, 5th Jun 2007
Quoting Schizophreniccabbage from 10:26, 5th Jun 2007
I do not understand this university's marking system!

17.5 in an exam I walked out of totally thinking I'd failed and 12.7 in Art History - which is the biggest joke of a course EVER! Ah well, still got a first for my Honours subject.

Finally, can relax for the holidays now...

The courses that are "easier" will always be harder to get a good grade in since they will be scaled down to fuck so that they can get the gaussian curve that is ever so important! (pfft). Ditto for the more difficult courses, except they are scaled up of course!

[Woohoo, I am graduating after all! YEAH!]

[hr]

oh pants

You know, they don't do that for every course. I don't know how big Art History classes are (fairly large, I presume; even at Honours level), but in the school of physics some modules have only 5-6 students, so applying the Gaussian curve schtick would be hugely unfair to the students if they all did equally well.

Unlike other universities, we judge our exam results with our own exam board, instead of sending them off to an independent board like larger universities. At least, this applies to the School of Physics and Astronomy.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Lid on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:15 am

The school of Physics and Astronomy are marked by the module co-ordinator, who then inputs the marks alongside the continuous assessment. This produces a distribution curve that is then sent off to Birmingham University.

The examiner from Birmingham then comes up, looks at the paper, assesses whether it was too easy, looking at the marks produced, and then marks students up or down. Most papers don't change, but it's his assessment as to whether they do or not.

The examiner we have for Physics at the moment does his job well, there are some that fulfil their duties by being here, that you can get drunk, get them to rubber stamp the marks, and pack them back off home. I hear that the examiner this year (and who only took office this year) is a true scrutineer. I hear from a number of lecturers in the Physics department that he is one of the most fair examiners they have ever seen.

And I passed Solid State Physics, so he must have been leniant, what with me not properly answering 40% of the questions, and all...

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Frank on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Lid from 01:15, 6th Jun 2007
And I passed Solid State Physics, so he must have been leniant, what with me not properly answering 40% of the questions, and all...
Looking at the supposed 'SSP' examination, I'd have been inclined to call it a Crystallography exam. Considering it left out vast swathes of the course in favour of more crystallography...

Leniancy would seem to be the order of the day! (It was, afterall, a ridiculous exam, not terribly difficult, as such, just ridiculous)

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby creepy old man on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:46 am

The same thing seems to have happened to me as to you, Freaker. My coursework average in mediaeval history was at a 17, and my average dropped down to a 14.2, which is confusing because I walked out of that particular exam feeling like I had done really well. Last semester I dropped in the exam from an average of 18.25 to 15.8. What is is about mediaeval exams that I am missing? Apparently I suck at taking them.
creepy old man

Re:

Postby Freaker on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 am

Ah well. I may just send them an email and ask if there was anything I did really obviously wrong.

As for PY2001 - Aesthetics, that went quite well. I still dropped down two grades from my essay grade, but considering that the essay was a 19 (some ridiculously high marks in that module), I didn't mind too much.

[hr]

Freaker

Re:

Postby ludy on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:02 am

Philosophy seems particularly prone to disparity between exams and coursework, I sometimes feel like they're marking far more for originality and independent thought in the exam rather thank knowledge as such. I'm also not sure that the 50/50 split actually works out the way you'd think it would, I once went from an 18 for coursework to a 20 overall, which even a philosophy student can see is mathmelogically a bit odd.

They are generally very helpful about it if you ask for advice though.
ludy

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:52 pm

I don't know what they really want from you in philosophy exams, but I always seem to get a better mark in the exam than in the essays. Like this year I walked out of the exam thinking it hadn't gone great, but actually did really well. I think they generally like you to organise what you know in a sensible way, then add some 'original' thoughts.

I think the fact that I managed to get a first in Financial Maths highlights a real flaw in the exam system. For anyone studying maths at honours, financial is great fun. Weeks of utterly baffling lectures, impossible tutorial sheets and then he produces exams which are basically all the same as each other.

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi, this may be a bit paranoid, but who should I contact if one of my grades seems improbably high, is it just the department or the registry? The average I have means I supposedly got 19 on an exam I really thought I'd failed and either it's been entered wrongly or I have a lot to celebrate!!

Re:

Postby househunter on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:08 pm

Quoting from 16:05, 5th Jun 2007
Hi, this may be a bit paranoid, but who should I contact if one of my grades seems improbably high, is it just the department or the registry? The average I have means I supposedly got 19 on an exam I really thought I'd failed and either it's been entered wrongly or I have a lot to celebrate!!

Fucking celebrate for fucks sake! Fucking fuck.
househunter

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:51 am

Finally our results are up! Got me a first!!

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Please quick...

Postby fran on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:41 am

What does it mean if it says "eligible for the award of" and then a degree classification? Does that mean they still haven't decided cause I'm a special case or is that what they put for everyone?
I just want to know now!
fran

Re:

Postby kezziecats on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:06 am

Thats what it says on mine - I just assumed that it was the way they worded it and was the same for everyone: after speaking to some other people I know it appears that it says that on everyones record so isn't something to worry about.

Quoting fran from 09:41, 9th Jun 2007
What does it mean if it says "eligible for the award of" and then a degree classification? Does that mean they still haven't decided cause I'm a special case or is that what they put for everyone?
I just want to know now!
kezziecats

Re:

Postby Bryn on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting fran from 09:41, 9th Jun 2007
I just want to know now!

It means that that's the degree you are getting, but you haven't got it (i.e. graduated) yet :)
Bryn

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:38 am

My mean was 13.15 but median was 13.4 - in the area for an exam board decision (either 2.1 or 2.2) but came out with a 2.2 is there any method of appealing this decision? (My dissertation was a 14 and my average this year was above 13.5, poor results in third year let me down)

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:27 pm

I'm the same as you, practically on the nail for 2:1 with the mean, but the median was just over a 13, so it brought it down... again third year results. It is a little annoying when you know people with like a 10 got the same as you and people with like 0.1 more got a 2:1, but I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere or there'd never be any degree hierarchy.
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby amac on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:43 pm

What does it mean when the status is ' Interrupted - to Graduate'. What the hell was interrupted?
amac

Girl, interrupted

Postby fran on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting amac from 13:43, 9th Jun 2007
What does it mean when the status is ' Interrupted - to Graduate'. What the hell was interrupted?

I think it's normal. I think your "full time student status" is interrupted. ALthough that sounds odd....
fran

Re:

Postby Bryn on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:02 pm

Quoting fran from 14:57, 9th Jun 2007
Quoting amac from 13:43, 9th Jun 2007

I think it's normal. I think your "full time student status" is interrupted. ALthough that sounds odd....

Indeed, I don't see why simply "To Graduate" wouldn't do?
Bryn

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board