Home

TheSinner.net

St Andrews: Not Oxbridge or London

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

St Andrews: Not Oxbridge or London

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:12 am

So I'm in Oxford at the mo visiting my brother, and since he's at a 2 hour tute(!)I'm just lazing around his room.

Inspection of the various student media littering the place reveals an article in the Cherwell, specifically one of those 'news in brief' columns that appear down the side of a main article, which reads:

Oxford tops UK university ranks

Oxford has topped The Guardian's university rankings for the third year in succession, winning 95.29 points out of a possible 100. The University's lead over second-placed Cambridge now stands at 3.4 points, with London colleges Imperial, UCL and the LSE at third, fifth and sixth places.

Ahem.

Out of sight, out of mind, t'would seem.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby househunter on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:34 am

What so St Andrews is supposed to be fourth or something?
househunter

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:44 am

Didn't the Guardian award us 5*s in degrees we don't even offer?

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 11:44, 1st Jun 2007
Didn't the Guardian award us 5*s in degrees we don't even offer?

[hr]

Indeed, we're third in the country for civil engineering. Well done everybody.

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100779
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby MacMan on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Hmm, apparantly a Scottish university is not considered by this magazine as being in the UK.
MacMan

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting MacMan from 15:48, 1st Jun 2007
Hmm, apparantly a Scottish university is not considered by this magazine as being in the UK.

I don't think that was the intended point, it left us off the list, but it left a gap for fourth place, it's not like it bumped the others up around it.

I'd just prefer to think that it's because everyone knows how good we are, we don't need mentioned ;)

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby fran on Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:48 pm

Quoting Lid from 18:01, 1st Jun 2007
Quoting MacMan from 15:48, 1st Jun 2007

I don't think that was the intended point, it left us off the list, but it left a gap for fourth place, it's not like it bumped the others up around it.

I'd just prefer to think that it's because everyone knows how good we are, we don't need mentioned ;)

[hr]

It definitely wasn't the intended point, BUT it's the truth: We do indeed occupy number 4 in the Guardian ranking. Well done, St Andrews! Therefore the initial post is quite pointless.

You can see the ranking here:
http://browse.guardian.co.uk/education? ... rews&Go=Go

1: Oxford
2: Cambridge
3: Imperial College
4: St Andrews
fran

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:01 pm

The original post wasn't pointless. The point of the original post was just to point out the oddity that the article the poster read listed the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th place universities by name, but failed to mention the 4th place university - St Andrews.

After all, why would an English paper want to acknowledge that a university up in 'barbarous' Scotland might actually be decent?

[hr]

Arma virumque cano...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:25 pm

An indication perhaps of the Editor's views on a certain subject.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby [James] on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Am I right in thinking that this jump up to 4th place is a result of students being told by the University/Union to give St Andrews full marks in the satisfaction survey?
[James]

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:34 pm

I believe the official standpoint in that particular situation was for students NOT to answer the satisfaction survey.
Students, of course, retaliated by answering it with full satisfaction.

(Considering I was sent the questionairre without being eligible to answer it, I wouldn't give much credence to the table at all.)
Bonnie

Re:

Postby fran on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Quoting LonelyPilgrim from 18:01, 2nd Jun 2007
The original post wasn't pointless. The point of the original post was just to point out the oddity that the article the poster read listed the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th place universities by name, but failed to mention the 4th place university - St Andrews.

After all, why would an English paper want to acknowledge that a university up in 'barbarous' Scotland might actually be decent?

[hr]

Arma virumque cano...

Oh, okay, I'm being slow today I guess. Apologies. But in that case I agree with you- that is quite silly of that Cambridge paper then...
fran

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:59 am

To clear up a few issues that appear to have arisen...

1. St Andrews is 4th in the UK University rankings, as compiled by the Guardian.
2. The publication in question is a student-run magazine published in Oxford.
3. The purpose of this thread is to highlight my disbelief at St Andrews' ommission and the various insinuations thereof.

Hope that clears things up somewhat. Didn't realise it was so complicated.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Return to The Sinner's Main Board