Home

TheSinner.net

The appealing thread

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The appealing thread

Postby fran on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:33 pm

Has anyone here ever appealed against/ for anything? Did it work out or not?
Does anyone know of any successful appeal cases?
fran

Re:

Postby murderotica on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:46 pm

I was wondering exactly the same thing. How do you also get your exam scrip back?
murderotica

Re:

Postby fran on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:43 am

Bump.
fran

Re:

Postby Northyboy on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:06 am

You can request to the head of teaching for your school that you wish to see your exam script. They will arrange a time for you to come in and will then sit with you while you look at your script. They are quite strict about not leaving you alone with your script.

Quoting murderotica from 16:46, 7th Jun 2007
I was wondering exactly the same thing. How do you also get your exam scrip back?
Northyboy

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:35 pm

In physics, you can get a photocopy of it for your own reference, at a fee. Just see the director of studies.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Icarus on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Check the website of your respective department to see the procedure. I don't know if every department is the same, but in Modern History at least I know from experience that you can request to see your paper and go through it with your tutor for free. If you want a copy of your paper to keep, you have to pay (something like 20 quid I think?).

As for appeals, again I can only speak from my experience in Modern History. At Honours all the papers are double-marked anyway, so appealing is probably rather unlikely to increase your grade seeing as it's already been determined and agreed upon by two separate markers. I'm sure however appealing your grade isn't impossible if you're really determined to do it, but I imagine your grade could possibly go down as well as up (at least that's the way it works when appealing grades of continuous assessment work).

Best course of action is probably to contact your tutor and get their advice before you do anything. They are there to help.
Icarus

Re:

Postby fran on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:19 pm

No, it's not about appealing a grade. It would (in my case) concern something else.
fran

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:36 pm

I succesfully appealed a Limitation of Studies. I don't recall the procedure exactly, but it was outlined in the letter informing me of the Limitation. I followed that procedure, including providing medical evidence and then waited some weeks before a decision was made. A number of conditions were imposed when my appeal was accepted.

[hr]

Arma virumque cano...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:08 pm

After death, cancer and multiple strokes in the family, I had my appeal rejected.

School of Geography on their 'Prince William has just graduated with a degree in Geography' powertrip.

Cunts.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:15 pm

Quoting fran from 15:33, 7th Jun 2007
Has anyone here ever appealed against/ for anything? Did it work out or not?
Does anyone know of any successful appeal cases?

I successfully appealed a 7 in Biology, which went up to an 11, I think (this was a few years back).

I had dislocated my shoulder that week, and had a scribe as well as being twatted on a bottle of liquid morphine (which the doctors kindly gave me). I appealed on the basis that 2/3rds of the way through the exam I couldn't continue, so my marks should be taken as if it was a shorter exam, which is how I got it up to an 11.
It's a fairly drawn out process, and involves the Head of School, as I remember. As a result, the best thing to do is make the relevant parties aware in advance.

Generally you are better appealing against something like being removed from a course rather than a mark, as this tends to be more successful.

Student Support in the Union and the VP of Representation (I forget what they are currently branded as) should be able to help too.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby RobFett on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:25 pm

Email Laura Wilson the Director of Representation on dorep or Iain Cupples the Student Advocate on inc or go to the middle floor of the union and speak to them there.
RobFett

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting Mr Comedy from 13:15, 10th Jun 2007
Student Support in the Union and the VP of Representation (I forget what they are currently branded as) should be able to help too.

Dave, it was DoR when you ran for the bloody job.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:21 pm

David, to be fair I can't for the life of me remember your job title. DoSFA??? Would be quite appropriate -I don't think I need to spell out what it might stand for.

And even if I could remember the acronym I'd be hard pressed to unravel what it stood for and what that involved.

Though it would be a much less difficult task than working out what you stand for and indeed what you actually achieved.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg new shite
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:27 pm

I keep reading this thread's title and thinking it has something to do with aesthetics. Ho-hum.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:25 am

Quoting Midget from 00:21, 11th Jun 2007
Though it would be a much less difficult task than working out what you stand for and indeed what you actually achieved.

How about DoGTSVSAWTSA?

Or DoSOESCTUH?

Or perhaps even DoMTMVABNBTCCASAFTFTE?

Hell, if that don't float your boat, perhaps DoDSA, which you full well knew what it stood for, just were being facetious. Just because you can't see the job being done doesn't mean the job isn't being done.

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:45 am

But it's more likely to mean it isn't being done than to mean it is being done, but covertly. Surely?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Laura on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 am

I think that quite a lot of the work the DoSDA does with the Careers Service and with the University isn't obvious to the student body, because it is working on long term projects like personal tutoring systems and personal development planning that hasn't really been unveiled yet and isn't likely to be fully rolled out for a while.

The work that the DoSDA does with societies and student projects is obvious to the huge number of students involved with them. I wasn't surprised at all when the Saint surveyed students about the sabbatical team and most of them knew who Lee Kane was.

Unless you're a Class Rep, a condom distributor or have needed help with a personal issue, you've probably not had any connection to the DoR- but it doesn't mean I'm not doing the job. Tom and I worked out that we avaerage about twenty five hours of meetings a week during semester time and I have to say that over the last year I haven't had much face to face contact with the student body, but that we do work hard for them behind the scenes.

To go back to the original topic, should anyone have any issues with exam grades, degree classifications or need information about appealing and the support available for students doing this, then e-mail me on dorep@st-andrews.ac.uk or e-mail sahelp@st-andrews.ac.uk to make an appointment with our education advocate.

[hr]

"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:10 pm

Quoting David Bean from 23:33, 10th Jun 2007

Dave, it was DoR when you ran for the bloody job.

Aah, I thought they'd of changed it by now. We went through a phase of changing it every year, as the board in the board room on the top floor will attest.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting Midget from 00:21, 11th Jun 2007
David, to be fair I can't for the life of me remember your job title. DoSFA??? Would be quite appropriate -I don't think I need to spell out what it might stand for.

And even if I could remember the acronym I'd be hard pressed to unravel what it stood for and what that involved.

[hr]

Now now, old chum, that's a tad harsh. After I said such nice things about your home brew, too. Tsk. There's no loyalty these days.

To clarify, Laura is correct that the DoR and DoSDA are not the most visible positions unless you happen to be in direct contact with them, through societies or what have you. My term was mainly focussed around student volunteering, which I saw as the one issue it would be possible to tackle and make some real progress on in a year; as a result we saw the establishment of a volunteering fair, the affiliation of the SVS to the Association (as the SSC Volunteering Committee), and the offering of MV awards for anyone prepared to put in the work. I don't think that's bad for a year's term, whatever anyone else thinks. But there was other stuff too, like the routine organisation of events like training and societies' fairs, lots of careers stuff, some town/gown, advancements with the Music Fund and on personal development and a good few other bits and bobs. So I really don't think a disinterested observer could claim it wasn't a year pretty well spent.

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby Midget on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting David Bean from 20:48, 11th Jun 2007
Tsk. There's no loyalty these days.

Perhaps what a little bird told me was wrong, but I trust my sources and I respect their anonymity too.

But I certainly won't deny you've hit the nail on the head with your statement above. Even when you've enjoyed someone's homebrew (and that isn't a double entendre by the way) there's no loyalty.

And don't plead ignorance it doesn't become you, and yes it does involve yet another stupid acronym (what is it with them they're like AIDS, I could take the analogy further but I won't) .

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg new shite
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board