Home

TheSinner.net

Thunder

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Thunder

Postby Poindexter on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:20 am

anyone else shitting themselves?
Poindexter

Re:

Postby SLH on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:33 am

A wee bit. Can't believe the storm's lasting so long
SLH

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:39 am

I've just pulled all of the wheelie bins and the public bins out of the 2 feet of water that's surrounding the top end of bridge street and the KFB to the hill.

I'm wet oh yes, so wet i'm posting again. That wet.

Most epic thunder and lightning and rain, haven't seen rain like this since i was 12 and in Florida during monsoon season.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:48 am

The roundabout by JBH is fucked.
Well over a foot of water (I know this because water came in when I opened the car door to check). Couple of cars stranded being pulled out by a 4x4.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Gealle on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:55 am

Really? It's wonderfully sunny on the West coast...

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Frank on Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:09 am

GRRR!

Three years in St Andrews and not one bit of thunder or lightning. I'm gone a for a bit and the whole thing rages a massive news-making storm! MADNESS!

Along the other middle of the Kingdom, here in Cowdenbeath, I have no idea what was happening. I slept for twelve hours, y'see, and have been up for an hour already. Looks quite wet this morning, but there doesn't seem to be any flooding...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:01 am

i was really hoping the power would go off so I would have an excuse for being late to work.

but it didn't so here I am. thought I would get back at them by posting on here instead!

Me 1 The Man 0

;)

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby Rilla on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 am

I was going to post about how awesome it was last night.

But instead, I am posting in despair.

There was a power cut in my building last night, so all the code I was running stopped.

I'm so pissed off now.

[hr]

Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:51 am

I laugh at you and your storms - yesterday i was out sunbathing and enjoying the wonderful west coast weather and today i shall most likely do the same ;-)

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby househunter on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:16 pm

Christ it was loud and it went on for ages. Not been this scared since I was a kid.

At 2 AM it started, I began to count (1 mile for every 2 seconds passed) and it was getting closer and closer. At about 3 AM it was obviously happening within a mile as I couldn't count the time in between thunder and lightning.

Scared the crap out of my dog as well.
househunter

Re:

Postby Laura on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:17 pm

I actually thought that the world was going to end last night. I was hiding under my covers! I don't think I've ever heard thunder and lightning be so loud.

[hr]

"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Rilla on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting Househunter from 13:16, 8th Jun 2007
At 2 AM it started, I began to count (1 mile for every 2 seconds passed) and it was getting closer and closer. At about 3 AM it was obviously happening within a mile as I couldn't count the time in between thunder and lightning.

Yeah, it was 3am when it woke me up. I've never seen anything like it here before!

[hr]

Rilla

Re:

Postby tordenskjold on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:23 pm

It woke me just after 3. For some reason it seemed that some of the lightning was about 8 seconds away whereas some of it was just nearby as the lightning made a tearing sound before the boom and on more than one occasion set of some car alarms in the street which was impressive.

I managed to get to sleep by convincing myself that if it was goingt to strike the building it would destroy the floor above which was empty and not hit me.

[hr]

Kæmp for alt hvad du har kært,
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
tordenskjold

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:28 pm

(1 mile for every 2 seconds passed)

Actually it's 1 mile for every 5 seconds (taking the speed of sound as ~330m/s).

I hear a few houses got struck on Watson avenue

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby househunter on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:01 pm

Quoting Haunted from 13:28, 8th Jun 2007
(1 mile for every 2 seconds passed)

Actually it's 1 mile for every 5 seconds (taking the speed of sound as ~330m/s).

I hear a few houses got struck on Watson avenue

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn

Right you are!
househunter

Re:

Postby novium on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:29 pm

I had the same thing- some of the thunder was a count of 8 after the lighting, some of it was half a heartbeat after the lighting. Back and forth.
I was a bit annoyed, as it was keeping me awake.
Quoting tordenskjold from 13:23, 8th Jun 2007
It woke me just after 3. For some reason it seemed that some of the lightning was about 8 seconds away whereas some of it was just nearby as the lightning made a tearing sound before the boom and on more than one occasion set of some car alarms in the street which was impressive.

I managed to get to sleep by convincing myself that if it was goingt to strike the building it would destroy the floor above which was empty and not hit me.

[hr]

Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby sqril on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:18 pm

[quote]Quoting Laura from 13:17, 8th Jun 2007
I don't think I've ever heard thunder and lightning be so loud.

[hr]

[quote]

me either. it woke me about 3am. Actually i think it was the lightening that woke me - it was so bright. I think there must have been several storms (or one massive one) right on top of each other, which was the reason for some of the lightning and thunder being v close together and others further apart. The really close ones were shaking the house!
It’s been this way from the start
Everybody walking round with holes in the heart
Everybody holding up skies in the dark
As the stars keep falling
sqril

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Weather's been lovely here in Wales. I've not seen lightning in years, I kind of wish I'd been in St Andrews!

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:55 pm

Looking at the sferics, there were two cells - one that was right over St Andrews tracking up from Dunino and the East Neuk, and then another that was over Leuchars and tracking North-West towards Cupar and Newport. Both seemed to burn themselves out towards 4am - 4:30am.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:47 pm

Oh man that sounds amazing. I've not seen a wild thunderstorm since 1997 when I was in the mountains of Kashmir (needless to say I nearly peed myself with terror!)

Oh well I'll be up in 2 weeks - maybe there will be a repeat!
harmless loony

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board