Home

TheSinner.net

Nightclub for St Andrews?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Kempy on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting Al from 13:54, 24th Jun 2007
It would be a bit difficult to tell the new Senior Students if the recipients of the email weren't to tell anyone about it.

Posting the full email on the sinner is hardly passing it on to the new Senior students?
Kempy

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:13 pm

Indeed. But unless the new Senior Students and hall committees were somehow to be sworn to secrecy then the story was going get out anyway. And most businesses want publicity. They actively seek it out. They don't want to remain hidden from view.
Al

Re:

Postby Ashley on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:06 pm

What it's going to be like in the future for those poor students who can't be guaranteed that they'll bump into that attractive sort from their history tutorial because he/she might be either in the union or the club?!

It would seem a bit of a shame, and quite weird if St Andrews were to become a proper place to go out in, with a choice (shock!) of places to frequent when looking for a dance!

[hr]

Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby novium on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:39 pm

The original poster's actions were quite proper. What's next, are you going to suggest that the recipients of those Nigerian Letter emails (aka, the spanish prisoner) should respect them as 'private emails'. They too always demand secrecy while remaining vague and explaining away their need for secrecy and their tight-lippedness as a necessary precaution.
No one in their right mind would trust such an email.
Quoting Kempy from 14:03, 24th Jun 2007
Quoting Al from 13:54, 24th Jun 2007
It would be a bit difficult to tell the new Senior Students if the recipients of the email weren't to tell anyone about it.

Posting the full email on the sinner is hardly passing it on to the new Senior students?

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Yeah. Just cause you're not paranoid...
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:20 pm

Quoting novium from 15:39, 24th Jun 2007
The original poster's actions were quite proper. What's next, are you going to suggest that the recipients of those Nigerian Letter emails (aka, the spanish prisoner) should respect them as 'private emails'.

If someone emails the administrator of a website and asks them to take something down, you can't not (double negative, it must be an important point) do it just because the original poster's actions were proper.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:33 pm

OK. Then I'd like to request you remove all of the posts where I said something foolish.

Of course you can decline to remove something.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby novium on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:37 pm

or even more serious things. Haven't there been many extremely obnoxious threads and posts that the admin and moderators wouldn't touch? Free speech, don't you know. Except when it comes to being utterly spineless.

[hr]

Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Admin on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:21 pm

Free speech is one thing.
Hiding behind an anonymous username to post misguided and ill-informed "facts" on an internet forum is another.
Posting private correspondence on a public forum is yet another.

I'm not stopping anyone from talking about a potential new nightclub in St Andrews - merely removing private content which shouldn't have been placed in the public domain.

Oli Walker
Admin, www.thesinner.net
Admin

Re:

Postby novium on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:51 pm

an anonymous user name would be "unreg". Novium is hardly anonymous, as I hardly keep it secret.
"Misguided an ill-informed "facts""? Where, exactly? But if you're going to go for that, you better start deleting a good 3/4ths of all threads, hadn't you?
Posting private correspondence? Are spanish-prisoner scams private correspondence? are spam? Not to mention that "correspondence" tends to imply the *exchange* of letters/messages. Unsolicited shady "business" emails hardly count. And some how, given the other(arguably more)"private" things that have passed muster here, I just can't see it as anything but a lame excuse.

I also seem to recall the small matter of a student being handed over to the police for a comment that was so obviously sarcastic and harmless... so if it's all right with you, I'll stick to my original estimation of how things work around here.

Quoting admin from 20:21, 24th Jun 2007
Free speech is one thing.
Hiding behind an anonymous username to post misguided and ill-informed "facts" on an internet forum is another.
Posting private correspondence on a public forum is yet another.

I'm not stopping anyone from talking about a potential new nightclub in St Andrews - merely removing private content which shouldn't have been placed in the public domain.

Oli Walker
Admin, www.thesinner.net

[hr]

novium

Hmm..

Postby John I on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:00 pm

Seems pretty pointless to me, surely if it's OUTSIDE St Andrews, you're gonna have to get a bus or taxi, ala Dundee/Cupar.

Not exactly a huge gap in the market is it?
John I

Re:

Postby thewarehouseproject on Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi all,

Look, I'm sorry that you all think it was a big unsolicited e-mail, and it's a complete scam. I can assure you there will be a club in St Andrews in September 2007, and it will be great!

We e-mailed the hall committees to let them know of it before they potentially made other bookings, and we thought the best (and pretty much only) way of getting hold of them would be to use the e-mail addresses supplied on the yourunion.net website. Hopefully people will pass the message on to the new committees - if they don't then that's their choice.

The reason behind asking it to be taken off was twofold. Although I guess the e-mail wasn't strictly private (in that we were sending it out to about 9 people that we don't know, and asking them to pass on the e-mail to other people), but it did say that we would prefer it to be kept secret. This was because we didn't want the exact problem that has occured on the thread so far - people coming to the wrong conclusions about the whole idea. When we do advertise the club, we want it to be done professionally - not on a thread on a student website. Also, by that sstage we'll have an exact line-up, dates, prices and more importantly, full pictures of the club inside and out.

I hope you all understand why we felt that the e-mail should have been taken off, and we appreciate that the admin did so. Like I said earlier, we're willing to answer your questions, but probably at a later date, when we're not as busy setting up the venue!

Thanks,

Chris
thewarehouseproject

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting novium from 20:51, 24th Jun 2007
And some how, given the other(arguably more)"private" things that have passed muster here, I just can't see it as anything but a lame excuse.

This is just speculation since I wasn't involved, but I would imagine the difference is a request to have something taken down.

And exnihilo, I couldn't possibly erase every post you've ever made (ZING!).

And, 'Chris', I applaud your effort, but unregistered posts will never be convincing to the users of this board, because it certainly would be neither the first nor last time that someone tried to start and further a rumour. In short, I'll believe it when I see it.

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby [James] on Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:39 pm

No thanks.

To build a nightclub here is to fundamentally misunderstand and devalue the character of this university and its culture. Go and build it in Dundee.
[James]

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting [James] from 22:39, 24th Jun 2007
To build a nightclub here is to fundamentally misunderstand and devalue the character of this university and its culture. Go and build it in Dundee.

I'm inclined to agree, all you'd really be doing is building a bigger version of the Lizard, and therefore running the very real risk that there aren't enough people in this town who enjoy that place to regularly fill out another one.

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby tg on Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:54 pm

I think this club is probably going to be in partnership with the skeleton key shop.

It will not happen. it is a hoax.
tg

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:24 pm

I'm sure this nightclub will be built and that it will be only 3 to 4 minutes away by personal atomic hovercopter.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:29 pm

NITEK(lllllllll)|_|B)
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting tg from 22:54, 24th Jun 2007
I think this club is probably going to be in partnership with the skeleton key shop.

Don't give them any ideas :P

I think it's a load of horse-dung. I mean, all those who are serious about clubbing go to Dundee, and those who aren't go to the Union or to the pubs. I never went clubbing in Dundee once because it never appealed, I'd far rather have a quiet pint somewhere.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 22:39, 24th Jun 2007
And exnihilo, I couldn't possibly erase every post you've ever made (ZING!).

Touché, and thanks for not picking up on the "where I've said something foolish" part!
exnihilo

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board