Home

TheSinner.net

Brian Laing

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Brian Laing

Postby tg on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:56 pm

i put a thread up about Brian Laing up on the sinner this morning, and it's been taken down, no record of it. what the hell?

his accent has to be the most distrubing, contrived and irritating thing i've heard this week. nearly ruined my graduation ceremony. thank the lord for redemption through Robert Crawford.
tg

Re:

Postby Gealle on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:23 pm

i put a thread up about Brian Laing up on the sinner this morning, and it's been taken down, no record of it. what the hell?

his accent has to be the most distrubing, contrived and irritating thing i've heard this week. nearly ruined my graduation ceremony. thank the lord for redemption through Robert Crawford.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby [James] on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:27 pm

Quoting tg from 14:56, 22nd Jun 2007
his accent has to be the most distrubing, contrived and irritating thing i've heard this week.

But his campness and pomposity are hilarious, especially the way he tries to make random words sound French, e.g. "St Andrews provides a wonderful ay-doo-cay-seon".
[James]

Re:

Postby househunter on Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:40 pm

Apparently it's all to hide his stutter.
househunter

Re:

Postby sat on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:43 pm

Having seen photos of the graduations this week, I concluded that the Chancellor has not been present, and hence Lang has been in his capacity as Vice Chancellor rather than Principal (along with the silver-trimmed gown and such). Is this true?
sat

Re:

Postby Count Dracula on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:06 pm

Chosing a Chancellor who has 'important' things to do was a mistake. I'm all for the practically-dead type, myself. Bring back Sir Kenneth.

[hr]

Consejo no pedido, consejo mal oido.
Consejo no pedido, consejo mal oido.
Count Dracula

Re:

Postby classydriver on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:21 am

Brian capped on Tuesday and Wednesday, Ming capped on Thursday and Friday. Ming probably couldnt do Tues/Wed because PMQ's on a Wed afternoon and he probably spent Tuesday preparing or something...
classydriver

Re:

Postby househunter on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting classydriver from 03:21, 23rd Jun 2007
Brian capped on Tuesday and Wednesday, Ming capped on Thursday and Friday. Ming probably couldnt do Tues/Wed because PMQ's on a Wed afternoon and he probably spent Tuesday preparing or something...

Preparing? he has to do 2 questions for PMQ.
househunter

Re:

Postby classydriver on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:46 am

Quoting Househunter from 10:37, 23rd Jun 2007

Preparing? he has to do 2 questions for PMQ.

Hence the "or something..."
classydriver

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:40 am

It was a mistake to pick someone who was still active in public life, but in common with all elections of the General Council these days competition is frowned upon - one candidate per place will do nicely, thanks, and if the Principal has to intervene directly to ensure that, he will.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Laura on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm always surprised Brian gets such a hard time from students- he's actually a really nice bloke and is much more aware of what goes on in the student community than most principals are. I think there's an element of just bashing whoever is in authority.

Even Sir Kenneth didn't do all of the graduations when he was Chancellor, but I do agree that wanting Ming for the position was a bit of a mistake. He's too busy to be involved like Sir Ken was and he never seems particularly bothered by the graduations- Brian always seems really proud of everyone and gets excited if someone crosses the stage that he knows. I think people are a bit hard on him.

[hr]

"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:31 pm

Bri is sound! :-)

[hr]

Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Frank on Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:30 am

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SMUG!

GAH!

Never met the chappie before, but that picture seems to stir some sort of primal rage...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby househunter on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:18 am

If I was earning £300k plus Jag plus house plus other expenses, I'd be fucking smug too.
househunter

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:44 am

He doesn't earn £300k, as far as I recall it's closer to £190k (plus expenses, which he takes a couple of thousand a year, plus house and car).

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting Steveo from 11:44, 24th Jun 2007
He doesn't earn £300k, as far as I recall it's closer to £190k (plus expenses, which he takes a couple of thousand a year, plus house and car).

[hr]

Get off my internet.

I wouldn't exactly say no to that. He doesn't look smug to me, either.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:23 pm

He's a very nice man, with a phenomenal memory for names and faces and a superb grasp of the details of the university. If you remembered the old principal, or indeed some of the ones of other institutions you'd thank your lucky stars St Andrews has Dr Lang.

I have sometimes disagreed with his actions, I have even taken issue with his methods, but he has run the University very well in a time when that job is made harder and harder each year, and he genuinely has been more of a friend to the students than anyone else in his position and genuinely makes the effort to be involved and to be a part of the life of the University.

He's paid commensurately with his position - as is every Principal of every university, and it seems a little harsh to judge him as smug when you know nothing of the man, his nature, his humour, or his interests.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:06 pm

Pot...
Kettle...
Black

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Huh?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:51 pm

The pot calling the kettle black. -phrase used to describe someone criticising somebody else for a fault the criticiser is more guilty of themselves. (the pot is blacker than the kettle).
More specific than "People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones." but not hugely diffferent.

exnihilo was neither making a criticism or being hypocritical crucial parts of the pot kettle analogy. I also can't think of much that makes him that like Lang.

There are plenty of places many quite humorous for PKB here does not appear to be one, unless I've missed something?

And if you are an arts student you need to sort yourself out and drink less (I now lay myself open to an entirely correct use of the phrase that has been discussed).

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg new shite
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board