Home

TheSinner.net

Gordon :-p

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:32 pm

Whenever Gordon Brown has been pressured about calling an election immediately after becoming PM, he has just pointed to John Major becoming PM in 1990 but not holding an election before 1992.

What do people think about his placing of Scottish cabinet ministers in positions where they will not be responsible for England-only services, e.g. Health?

I hope it doesn't become a trend in how cabinet members are selected - it should be on ability rather than nationality.
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:49 pm

Currently, there are no Scottish Members responsible for "England-only" departments.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:58 pm

Does anyone else think that Ben Reilly and Yvette Cooper look like they must be related?
Anon.

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:06 pm

While we're not on the subject, is it only me that gets annoyed that COBRA (i.e. Cabinet Office Briefing Room A) keeps getting referred to as Cobra by the BBC?

The bloody Bbc, it's an acronym.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby orudge on Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:29 pm

It's not just you, I noticed that a few times, and it irritated me every time.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby [James] on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting Starla from 11:57, 29th Jun 2007
Quoting exnihilo from 04:07, 29th Jun 2007
Quoting Lid from 20:17, 28th Jun 2007
I know, scandalous wasn't it. I don't know if anyone will correct me, but isn't that unprecedented - and in fact a fineable offence?

It was presented by the BBC (gack) as being an amazing endorsement of an unprecedentedly popular PM, where, in fact, it simply shows that there's nobody left in Parliament with the first notion of custom, order, precedent, dignity, gravitas, or any of the other things one might hope for in one's leaders.

Wow, I have never heard a sentence that makes anyone sound like such a pretentious asshole.

This literally made me laugh out loud.
[James]

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:47 pm

Though I tend to agree with Dr Joss, quite unprecedented and quite out of character with the Commons. I'll allow Dr Joss to elaborate on exactly why, and why it is such a thing of gravitas, if he so chooses.

Though maybe Mr Wilson can enlighten, I've definitely heard in the past of some action being taken against members clapping in the chamber. Though not sure of the exact nature of the taken procedure, but if pecuniary action may not be taken, perhaps it was suspension from the chamber?

If tradition of one of the oldest institutions of a democratic Britain is pretention, oh well.

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:34 am

In the event of anything the Speaker (or one of the Deputy Speakers) deemed to be "disorder", a Member would be suspended from the House for a period of time commensurate with the offence. There is provision to withhold his or her salary for the duration of the suspension, so, in a sense, I suppose, the Member would be "fined", but, as suspensions are rarely for more than the remainder of that sitting day, the "fine" would be negligible.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board