Home

TheSinner.net

New Car Parking Regulations

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

New Car Parking Regulations

Postby Gill on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:19 am

"It is the University’s strong belief that
students who come to live here while studying do not need to bring and
keep cars through term time. The town is compact and University
facilities are all within reasonable walking distance of each other"

Yeah, and the only way out into reality is by bus or train, otherwise you suffer from cabin fever!

I don't drive so it won't affect me. It's nice they're thinking of the town and all but i thought the e-mail was a bit mean.
Gill

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:40 am

It seems fair. You can get a permit. (Although most places charge, I hope this is free)
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Rilla on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:01 am

It's £30.

I think it's a great idea. There's really no need to have a car in St Andrews, unless you have a disability perhaps.

Fair play to the University for bringing it in.

[hr]

Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.

edit: I was wrong - it doesn't say what the cost is, if any.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Gill on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:45 am

Is it that they don't want people bringing cars full stop or they can bring them but not use them around town?

To bring your car and use it to go from faculty building to faculty building does seem a bit lazy, as st andrews isn't that big and the walking is good for you.
But if i could drive and had a car i would bring it to uni, simply so i would have the opportunity to get out of town. It just makes sense to me to do that.
Gill

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting Rilla from 12:01, 29th Jun 2007
I think it's a great idea. There's really no need to have a car in St Andrews

Or you live in any town not on the route of the 99 bus, or like me, you live in Edinburgh.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Ragamuffin on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:19 pm

I expect the principal will do his bit and trade in the Jag for a bike.

[hr]

We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here and we want them now!
We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here and we want them now!
Ragamuffin

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:50 pm

Well, I'll still be bringing my car into town - there's no convenient way to get into St Andrews from where I live (a tiny village in Fife). My boyfriend and I try to take only one car in when we can, to save on petrol costs, but sometimes we need to be there at considerably different times of day so it's not always possible. If I was living in St A I doubt I'd use a car around the town much unless I had loads of stuff to transport - when I lived in the centre of town parking was a nightmare and I didn't dare move it on busy days otherwise I'd never find another space. It's certainly very handy when you have 40 library books to take back just to park outside the library and drop them off though!

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:55 pm

Why in hell's name should i have to apply for a permit to have a car in st andrews just because i study at the university? I don't live 'on campus' unless the university have chosen to claim the entirety of the town as their campus and i don't use the university car parks - so how exactly would they even enforce my getting a permit? They make it sound like they expect all us drivers to apply for one, but surely only those using university property actually need one?

And no, i don't think it's a great idea - i use my car to get the hell out of the town when it pisses me off with announcements like this.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:02 pm

If the number of permits are limited, like I expect they will be, this will surely just force people into the town that we all get moaned about for living in.

There are plenty of students that live in the little surrounding backwaters with piss poor connections to St Andrews, and I've even known people drive from John Knox Road to town on a regular basis. Just means that central St Andrews will become even more desirable (i.e. expensive).

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Queeg on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:00 pm

So which of the university car parks do we think is going to be sold off first?

[hr]

Mea navicula pendens anguillarum plena est.
Mea navicula pendens anguillarum plena est.
Queeg

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:27 pm

I refuse to participate (read: buy a permit) and thats BUY a permit. The University is grossly overstepping its authority with this plan. The University has no right whatsoever to dictate what students may or may not own, especially if they live in private accommodation. What if they suddenly said that there was too much congestion on the St Andrews broadband because of all the students using it, making life oh so hard for the public. Are they going to make us apply for computer or internet permits? Fuck off.

Lets look at what will happen once this lunacy commences. So Students can't park in area X or area Y without a permit, where X and Y are differently designated University owned car parking spaces. What happens? The Student vehicles migrate en mass to the public car parking at the North Haugh or elsewhere, exacerbating the congestion problem, not alleviating it.

I frequently travel back and forth to home, often with heavy or cumbersome luggage of some description and I will be damned if I am going to be emotionally blackmailed or red taped into using a bus for that purpose.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Rilla on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:32 pm

I think it's that they're making all the car parks (EXCEPT for new hall, dra and albany) for use only for staff members.
If you park your car in one of those 3, you'll need a permit (£30).
Parking will not be available (for students) at any other university carparks.

If you live in private accomodation, obviously, this will not effect your living situation.

That's my understanding of it.

Seems fair enough to me.

Noone's saying you can't use your car to leave st andrews and drive home.

The university is just making it more difficult for you to use your car to drive to lectures or the library.

[hr]

Rilla

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:35 pm

Just out of interest, where does it say the permit is £30? It says in the e-mail that the fine for not having a permit is £30, but I haven't seen any reference to the permit costing money.

No doubt this whole exercise will also provide a convenient revenue stream in the form of parking tickets.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Rilla on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:41 pm

Quoting orudge from 15:35, 29th Jun 2007
Just out of interest, where does it say the permit is £30? It says in the e-mail that the fine for not having a permit is £30, but I haven't seen any reference to the permit costing money.
No doubt this whole exercise will also provide a convenient revenue stream in the form of parking tickets.

Ooops, you're right. I misread that part. It doesn't give a price for permits.

Personally, I prefer it that the university makes money out of car users rather than putting up my fees.

[hr]

Rilla

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:50 pm

What really bugged me about the email though, was the way it was worded, as if we are only there for the university and have no lives whatsoever outside of st andrews.

Like this line: "Require students who insist on bringing cars to St Andrews to apply for a student permit."
As if we're just petulant children, who would insist on something for the hell of it - the university appear to be assuming that there couldn't possibly be a student who *needs* a car with them.

And the stuff about being an environmentally conscious employer bugged me too. The university isn't my employer and i have no obligation to go without a car just to further their environmental policies and i bet their staff who live in town aren't going to be getting rid of their cars.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:57 pm

I'm guessing this is a precautionary measure for when the town changes its own parking regulation, which would presumably increase the numbers of students parking in university carparks. Given that I've not got the email, I can't make full comment but it's certainly always been the case at the Bute that you can only park if you have a permit (which you can only get if you're a member of staff) so if students can get permits too, that would certainly be a be a step forward for students.

I think whether or not I support this would depend on how easy it is for students to get permits. The new town parking plan I certainly don't support.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby James01 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Personally i think this is outrageous! I live on South Street so I don't have anywhere to park my car because of the crazy money-grabbing Fife council parking initive, and so i frequently park my car outside my department (where I spend most of my time anyway) where I at least know its covered by CCTV and a lot of students etc walking around. But now we're not allowed to park in the Uni car parks because of this stupid scheme so I will have to park in some insecure, public car park miles away from my flat or my department!

Poor show by the university, being bullied into these kind of unnecessary actions by bedroom activists worried about emissions or fossil fuels. If your so worried about the environment go set up a protest outside RAF Leuchers, they're planes use more fuel in a week than I use in a year, and provide noise pollution on top of the huge emissions. Try enforcing parking regulations on their Fighter Planes to "help the environment" and watch them to tell you to goto hell through the bars of your nice prison cell!

I'm also a DJ around town, so I need my car for transporting my technical equipment (decks, speakers) many nights a week, before anyone starts moaning that i don't require a car in St Andrews.
James01

Re:

Postby romantic on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 15:57, 29th Jun 2007
I'm guessing this is a precautionary measure for when the town changes its own parking regulation, which would presumably increase the numbers of students parking in university carparks. Given that I've not got the email, I can't make full comment but it's certainly always been the case at the Bute that you can only park if you have a permit (which you can only get if you're a member of staff) so if students can get permits too, that would certainly be a be a step forward for students.

I think whether or not I support this would depend on how easy it is for students to get permits. The new town parking plan I certainly don't support.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.

Students would be limited to parking in Albany, DRA/Fife Park and New Hall. Of course, those living in other halls could just park on the public streets as always.

Students shouldn't be able to park in the staff car parks at the moment, it just isn't enforced. The frustrating thing is that as staff, we all have to re-apply for the parking permits we already have!
romantic

Re:

Postby nicolafoister on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:17 pm

What pisses me off is that some staff who live in St Andrews drive to work and get permits to park in the staff car parks but students who cannot afford to pay St Andrews accommodation prices are not allowed to park in said car parks!

Seems a little unfair!!

I think only staff/students who live out of St Andrews and those with circumstances which require a car should be allowed permits to park in the university car parks like the bute. It is rather unfair to grant passes to staff who are local over a student who travels from some village in the middle of nowhere!
nicolafoister

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Quoting nicolafoister from 16:17, 29th Jun 2007
What pisses me off is that some staff who live in St Andrews drive to work and get permits to park in the staff car parks but students who cannot afford to pay St Andrews accommodation prices are not allowed to park in said car parks!

Seems a little unfair!!

I think only staff/students who live out of St Andrews and those with circumstances which require a car should be allowed permits to park in the university car parks like the bute. It is rather unfair to grant passes to staff who are local over a student who travels from some village in the middle of nowhere!

If this permit system is administered fairly then that might solve this?

I realise that this is a big if though...

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board