Home

TheSinner.net

University Challenge

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Well Done

Postby Dickie on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:32 pm

Congrat's to all.

When is the 2nd round being shown?

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby orudge on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:36 pm

orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Angharad on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:40 pm

Congratulations :-)
Angharad

Re:

Postby [James] on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:44 pm

A good show it may have been, but only in terms of points; tonight's programme did nothing for our university's reputation. Certainly, there's a time and place for gowns and bowties, but the image communicated was that of a stuffy anachronism, out of touch with reality and utterly unappealing to normal people.
[James]

Re:

Postby Gealle on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:49 pm

Normal people suck!

Well done Sandies!

Quoting [James] from 20:44, 30th Jul 2007
A good show it may have been, but only in terms of points; tonight's programme did nothing for our university's reputation. Certainly, there's a time and place for gowns and bowties, but the image communicated was that of a stuffy anachronism, out of touch with reality and utterly unappealing to normal people.

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Dickie on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:00 pm

What is normal?
I saw four very diferent styles of dress, the only common factor was the gown.
From left to right: relaxed evening dress; casual clothing; jacket and tie; and open necked shirt.

What this shows is that you can be yourself at St Andrews and you don't have to be 'Normal' i.e. jeans and T-shirt. There is freedom to express yourself any way you wish.

More important is to congratulate the team for winning with a very respectable score.

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:48 pm

Anyone care to offer a recap for those of us who missed it?

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:54 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 21:48, 30th Jul 2007

[hr]

Seconded. Been watching UC most of this summer (well, when it's been on, of course), and was quite disappointed to miss it this evening. Dang. :(

Well done on winning though!

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby mhuzzell on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:13 pm

Certainly, there's a time and place for gowns and bowties, but the image communicated was that of a stuffy anachronism, out of touch with reality and utterly unappealing to normal people.

Surely that's what St Andrews is all about though, isn't it?

Though I'm sure not all (if any) of that team were first-years, despite the fully-enshouldered gowns.

Anyway, well done team!

[hr]

I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:18 pm

No! No more gowns, no more jackets or ties. Bland. Grey. Anodyne. You will conform to the national average of everything or you will be eliminated.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:37 pm

Please?

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:04 pm

ACCESS DENIED
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Huzzah for St Andrews!

St A 200 Birmingham 165? Something of that ilk. My favourite point was St A 95, Bham -5. Brilliant television.

I concur, congrats and when's the next one?

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:26 pm

Final Score

St Andrews 200
Birmingham 140 (?)

Thanks to all of you for your support!

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:36 pm

To you, perhaps; to me the wearing of he gowns (which we've been trying to get for a number of years, but couldn't the last time we had a team on the TV because apparently they weren't compatible wihthe sets) signifies the an aspect of the uniqueness of St Andrews that makes it great. What can be anachronistic about a tradition that has survived into the present day?

Congratulations to Doug et al. - I was watching at Victoria's house, and a jolly good time was had by all :)

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:44 pm

In brief: St Andrews got a pretty good start and pulled away instantly (when Birmingham finally managed to buzz in on a question they got it wrong, leading to the -5/95 lead someone mentioned earlier). Jackson-Williams knows an awful lot and makes me feel deeply ignorant! In the second half Birmingham started to catch up a bit, resulting in a final score of (I think) St Andrews 200, Birmingham 145.

I'd offer details on the questions, but I missed half of them owing to TV in the DRA bar being far too quiet. I do remember there were some biology questions that would have been stupidly easy to anyone who did Higher Biology at school - still, I suppose any question is easy if you know the answer already.

[hr]

If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Lid on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:37 am

Like Paxman said, the gowns are now reserved for keeping out the North Sea wind and for formal events such as [university challenge]. I think this hit the nail on the head - how many other teams stood out? I certainly will only remember the Birmingham team thanks to their far right of screen chap that got questions wrong and slapped his brow when others did.

Well done. Heartily. Both for the performance and gowns.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:45 am

To be fair the Birmingham guy on the far right was their only member to get any questions right. Well done Sandies, though I did find it quite amusing when the team needed about 5 minutes to work out that the picture they were shown was the new Wembley Stadium.

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby romantic on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:47 am

Quoting Griggsy from 10:45, 31st Jul 2007
though I did find it quite amusing when the team needed about 5 minutes to work out that the picture they were shown was the new Wembley Stadium.

The 'where's Wembley' comment was rather funny.
romantic

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:41 am

What was Paxman's comment on the stadium round? Something along the lines of 'Oh how sweetly unworldly you are, St Andrews'.

[hr]

http://www.charities-campaign.org.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board