Home

TheSinner.net

Edinburgh Festival

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Edinburgh Festival

Postby beeny on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:46 am

Ok, so I'm now stuck in Edinburgh (or its surroundings) for the foreseeable future until September. And there's not a whole lot to do. Any sinners seen or heard anything good about anything at the Festival or Fringe here? I just thought it might be an idea for anyone else up here to start up some sort of reviewing system or something. PLus, I've never really checked out the festival before. Maybe I'm just bored. I'll get the ball rolling.

My friend is stage manager for a play called Genius which is supposed to be really good. And I'd also quite like to see the walking play based around Sherlock Holmes. You get to walk all around Edinburgh as they solve the crime in front of you!!

And on a side note, Phill Jupitus walked into a restaurant I was eating in and was told he would have to wait 30 minutes for a table. I hoped he'd say 'Don't you know who I am?' But he took it very well in fact. Bugger.

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:09 am

Best Place to start is here http://www.laughinghorse.co.uk/fringe2007/

Then I recommend walking down the royal mile watching all the street performers, by the end of your walk you will have more ideas of where to go than you could dream of and if anyone else hands you a flier you will feel like ripping their liver out and feeding it to their stunned face.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby sparkler on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:30 pm

Yeah went to see stuff at the Laughing Horse venue and it was pretty good! 2 good comedians and all for free!

A good tip I picked up from a friend is if you don't have much money to spend, go around people with flyers and sometimes you can pick up a free ticket or two. You might end up at something shit, true, but the gamble paid off for me this year!

[hr]

Woah lads!
Woah lads!
sparkler

Re:

Postby Aureliano on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:27 pm

'Puppetry of the Penis' will always get a rise out of me...

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102835
Aureliano

Re:

Postby Haunted on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:34 pm

http://www.jihad-the-musical.com/ looks good

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Frank on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:27 pm

If you're stuck there, I'd just take the gamble with thing's you've little idea about. Just go, and see, and probably cry. But every once in a while there'll be a good one. Sometime's more'n once in a while, too!

The suggestion of simply walking down the Royal Mile is always a good one, I find. That and heading down to the grassmarket, just sit in a pub or two and you'll probably find someone who'll recommend something.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Nymphomanic on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:59 pm

The edfringe is totally worth it. I mean there's a lot of bad theatre but the good shows are really worth going to, plus you sort of have to experience some dreadful theatre just for - y'know- the experience. I can't wait.

[hr]

I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby [James] on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:13 pm

In terms of stand-up, Arnab & Greg's "Tickets Still Available" is definitely worth a look, as is Andrew Lawrence's "Social Leprosy for Beginners and Improvers".
[James]

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Having lived in Edinburgh all my days I can honestly say that you're better off getting a feel for it by starting off walking down the Royal Mile. If the shows there turn out to be garbage then at least they're free.

That's always the way I've tackled it, because I've been in the situation before whereby you pay good money for a scheduled performance and it's utter shit. But due to the sheer numbers that perform at the Festival and Fringe I suppose that's inevitable, they can't all be good.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby granizo on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting beeny from 09:46, 7th Aug 2007

And I'd also quite like to see the walking play based around Sherlock Holmes. You get to walk all around Edinburgh as they solve the crime in front of you!!

is that the frantic redhead one? ive been to see a few of their thing cos jemma hunter (you may remember her)who went to nbhs is in them. really worth going to :)

[hr]

That's why they're called business socks.
That's why they're called business socks.
granizo

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:08 am

STand-up all the way. Thankyou to the nice chap ex-of sallies who gave me 4 free tickets to see a truly worthy and hilarious Canadian standup. My face still aches.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby johness on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:43 am

I'm off to see Franke Boyle (the hilarious chap from Mock the Week) I'd get tickets if you can (and bring spare pants cause you will wet them)

[hr]

[s]As I walk away, I look over my shoulder to see what I'm leaving behind. Pieces of puzzles and wishes on eyelashes failed...[/s]
[s]As I walk away, I look over my shoulder to see what I'm leaving behind. Pieces of puzzles and wishes on eyelashes failed...[/s]
johness

Re:

Postby Haunted on Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:32 am

Quoting johness from 01:43, 8th Aug 2007
I'm off to see Franke Boyle (the hilarious chap from Mock the Week) I'd get tickets if you can (and bring spare pants cause you will wet them)

He's quite the hilarious chap, seeing that on the 19th.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Darshybaby on Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting munchingfoo from 11:09, 7th Aug 2007
Best Place to start is here http://www.laughinghorse.co.uk/fringe2007/

Then I recommend walking down the royal mile watching all the street performers, by the end of your walk you will have more ideas of where to go than you could dream of and if anyone else hands you a flier you will feel like ripping their liver out and feeding it to their stunned face.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!

Indeed glad you've checked that out! I'm performing with Laughing Horse...and all shows are free!

www.wannapeg.com

I'll make ya laugh!
Darshybaby

Re:

Postby treehugger on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:17 am

Don't forget to come support your very own St Andrews thesps in their bid for fringe greatness!

More specifically come see TRUE WEST, Sam Shepards rip-roaring tale of violence, typewriters and toast. August 19-27th venue 348 SoCo 12.05 pm daily!
treehugger

Re:

Postby kitty on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:21 am

Twelfth Night is also at the fringe. Does it get any better than sex, drugs, violence, shakespeare and corsets? I think not. We're on the 20th through the 27th 10:30 at St Augustines.
kitty

Re:

Postby sainteditor on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:49 pm

Ah, happy memories of the Homeless Gnome, eh?
sainteditor

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting treehugger from 10:17, 8th Aug 2007
Don't forget to come support your very own St Andrews thesps in their bid for fringe greatness!

More specifically come see TRUE WEST, Sam Shepards rip-roaring tale of violence, typewriters and toast. August 19-27th venue 348 SoCo 12.05 pm daily!

I was the Duty Technician for True West at the Byre, and I can vouch for it. Well worth a look.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Garnet on Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:18 am

Julius Caesar was really good, as was Love labours won. I'd recommend them both!

Thankful I haven't seen any awful ones. Last year I went to a show and there were only five of us in the audience. The actors spent most of the time rolling on the floor.

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby iab2 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:08 am

Another St Andrews group (who I cannot remember the name of, sorry) is performing the Battle for Eire at the festival also. It's Irish dancing, with excellent music performed by Shy Bairn. Well worth seeing, even if only for the band.

[hr]

Do your duty, carry a ham!
iab2

Return to The Sinner's Main Board