Home

TheSinner.net

Oh Joy!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Oh Joy!

Postby Jono on Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:04 am

So, walking back from work two nights ago, and I see this sign on south-street.

Apparently we're to suffer another eight-month-long street renovation. Work starts next week!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Kristin on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:08 am

Yep, true. I live on Church Street and we got a letter from the council telling us when they'd be digging up which street. Church, Bell and South Street are going to be affected. Apparently they're going to be redoing the pavements, like they did down by the union. Waste of time and money if you ask me.

[hr]

Rochester. Royalist rakehell and rebellious romantic restoration poet. An easy earl and a cavalier chum of Charlie's (II). Wine and women, mirth and laughter - sermons and soda water? The day after? Not for the narcissistic nobleman!
Rochester. Royalist rakehell and rebellious romantic restoration poet. An easy earl and a cavalier chum of Charlie's (II). Wine and women, mirth and laughter - sermons and soda water? The day after? Not for the narcissistic nobleman!
Kristin

Re:

Postby romantic on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:48 am

Quoting kristin from 08:08, 1st Sep 2007
Yep, true. I live on Church Street and we got a letter from the council telling us when they'd be digging up which street. Church, Bell and South Street are going to be affected. Apparently they're going to be redoing the pavements, like they did down by the union. Waste of time and money if you ask me.

[hr]

And, according the local newspaper (last weeks) the workmen will be allowed to work until 10pm at night. How I would hate to be living on one of those streets.
romantic

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting romantic from 10:48, 1st Sep 2007
And, according the local newspaper (last weeks) the workmen will be allowed to work until 10pm at night. How I would hate to be living on one of those streets.

[hr]

Because my bedtime is 9.45 on schoolnights.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Thackary on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:21 pm

I'd like to see the work progressing faster, and done to a better standard.
Already, the paving outside the union is looking uneven and somewhat shoddy.

And don't the signs on South St and Church St say 30 weeks, not 8?
Thackary

Re:

Postby romantic on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 11:44, 1st Sep 2007

[hr]

Because my bedtime is 9.45 on schoolnights.

Given that they will last 8 months, plus the inevitable overun of a couple of months, then some people will be left studying for exams with people drilling etc outside from 8am to 10pm. It would do you head in.
romantic

Re:

Postby James01 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:42 pm

My new flat is on South St, and my room looks out on the street.... i can't believe this I'm so disappointed.

My first year living "in town" and now there's gonna be a building site outside my door?

Exams in Jan are going to be hell! Not to mention lie ins![img]littleicons/yellowsadface.gif[/img]
James01

Re:

Postby Jono on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting kristin from 08:08, 1st Sep 2007

[hr]

Yeah! I'm sure they're going to find plenty of contractors who'll jump at the chance to work that late!

I'm sure that the street does need re-doing; but is doing it for eight months solid it really the right way to go about it?

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby iab2 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Working until 10pm? It was rare to see people working outside the Union after 4pm, and even then it was only one man in a JCB and two others staring intently down the hole.

Be glad you were not at Dundee uni last year though as the entire campus around the halls was a building site and had been for two years. It is impressive to see the number and size of buildings thrown up there. Dwarfs anything in St Andrews and makes you realise how small our uni is. And they are not finished building yet.

[hr]

http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/104233.html
iab2

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:46 pm

I'd imagine it quite unlikely they'll be drilling 8am-10pm for 8 (0r 30) weeks. SO I suspect they won't interfere as much with your exams as you're making out.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby sabra_girl on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Aah, so glad I've left St Andrews and my South St flat right now. Trying not to be smug but failing...sorry. Guess some things are better outside the Bubble.

[hr]

"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)
"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)
sabra_girl

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:15 pm

The work is being carried out from Sept - May (so about 30 weeks) at normal working hours but the workers have been given special permission to work until 10PM where needed to keep the schedule.

The work is estimated to cost £1.3 million, and I suspect it was the ONLY reason that the university sent the letters telling us not to bring cars to st andrews. (That rubbish about being "green" was the funiest thing they have tried to lie about in a good few years)

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:29 pm

It's almost like the council were planning for the work to completely coincide with our term time. Funny that. Wouldn't want to disturb all those rich tourists when we could just annoy the useless students that hang around town instead ;-)

Though i bet they only start working to 10 towards the end of the 8 months when they realise that they're behind on the work as inevitably happens with such things.

On the plus side, i don't live on South Street ^-^

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:01 pm

Like the roadworks on St Mary's place, I suspect that this is a plan to pedestrianise the town centre by stealth via the introduction of increasingly baffling one way systems.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby ribs on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Yep, my beautiful south street flat is being abandoned this year for a place out of the centre. No noise for me :P

I'm guessing they won't work till 10 that often until the May exams are looming and they can cause the most trouble. If they're wasting £1.3 million on the pavements do you think they have some to spare to beautify the outside of the union?

[hr]

"It's hard to be modest when you're as good as I am"
Muhammad Ali
Summer is a state of mind.
ribs

Re:

Postby romantic on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 19:01, 2nd Sep 2007
Like the roadworks on St Mary's place, I suspect that this is a plan to pedestrianise the town centre by stealth via the introduction of increasingly baffling one way systems.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114

I've now lost count (this year alone) of the number of times I've seen cars drive the wrong way down Market Street...including this morning.
romantic

Re:

Postby Das Feuer liebt mich on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Ugh!! What about us theologians who have to attend tutorials at St Mary's College?

No peace and quiet for us either then!

[hr]

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind.
Das Feuer liebt mich

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:55 pm

I don't think it's the case of keeping the rich tourists happy but not the poor students. It's more a case of numbers, rather than money.

20,000 visitors/tourists in 3 months or 7,500 students over 9 months.

The £1.3m isn't wasted - the streets are a disgrace at the moment - uneven pavements, uneven road surfaces, lousy drainage, poor lighting etc etc.

As for one way systems, the traffic flows in just the same way as it has for the past several years, so if it is a plot to pedestrianise the town centre, it's a very stealthy one indeed!
Ethan With

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting ethan with from 00:55, 3rd Sep 2007
I don't think it's the case of keeping the rich tourists happy but not the poor students. It's more a case of numbers, rather than money.

20,000 visitors/tourists in 3 months or 7,500 students over 9 months.

The £1.3m isn't wasted - the streets are a disgrace at the moment - uneven pavements, uneven road surfaces, lousy drainage, poor lighting etc etc.

As for one way systems, the traffic flows in just the same way as it has for the past several years, so if it is a plot to pedestrianise the town centre, it's a very stealthy one indeed!

Quite so. The problem is, will they make a pigs arse of it, like they did of Market street. Last year; crossing Greyfriars Gardens was like trying to cross a motorway! I can imagine the same deal with Bell Street, etc. this year coming! Also; who exactly are they hiring?

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

Jono

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:24 am

It was hardly a motorway.
Certainly, there was a little extra traffic, but if pedestrians in St Andrews weren't quite so mindless/foolhardy, this wouldn't really have been an issue.
Ethan With

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board