Home

TheSinner.net

ORIENTATION BROCHURE

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

ORIENTATION BROCHURE

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:07 pm

On page 25 I think it is, has a mistake.It says form instead of from.
I mean come on,world class minds an all.This is unacceptable.

[Admin note: Pot - Kettle - Black?]

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Quoting from 19:02, 8th Sep 2007
On page 25 I think it is, has a mistake.It says form instead of from.
I mean come on,world class minds an all.This is unacceptable.

[Admin note: Pot - Kettle - Black?]

Yep, well spotted. You missed the fact that there's a missing apostrophe earlier on in the page. When having a go at something, best do it properly eh?

I don't care much about an occasional oversight - I think it's great that the University and Union are putting so much effort into telling everyone what's going on in freshers' week. We didn't have that when I started, and I missed out on so much during the first week, simply because I didn't know what was going on or where.
So rather than picking fault with two letters placed the wrong way round, I'd like us to sing the praises of the University and Union for once, and say "thanks for telling us what's going on".
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:45 pm

By any chance did you approve this post just to take the piss out of it? Good on you if so - it certainly deserved it - but I just wondered. ;)

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:51 pm

From whence does one get such a brochure?

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:36 pm

Page 25? How many pages does it have? Or is this "brochure" what used to be called Praeco?
Al

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting David Bean from 23:45, 12th Sep 2007
By any chance did you approve this post just to take the piss out of it? Good on you if so - it certainly deserved it - but I just wondered. ;)

That was the general plan.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby [James] on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:30 am

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 23:51, 12th Sep 2007
From whence does one get such a brochure?

From hence:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/Orien ... ochure.pdf
[James]

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:25 am

Ooh, ooh, may I? May I?

Whence and hence stand alone to mean 'from where' and 'from here', it is incorrect to preface either with from.

Oh, that felt good.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby [James] on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:57 am

I had a feeling that would happen. So strong a feeling, in fact, that I looked up the definition of 'whence' before I posted, but decided that the reply and answer of

"from whence?"
"from hence"

sounded too good to bow to pedantry. Had the original poster asked "whence?", I would, of course, have replied "hence".

So there.
[James]

Re:

Postby Okocim on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:06 pm

Am I missing something? I read that first post and assumed it was someone trying to be sarcastic and humorous. I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously.
Okocim

Re:

Postby bdw on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting Al from 00:36, 13th Sep 2007
Page 25? How many pages does it have? Or is this "brochure" what used to be called Praeco?

Looking at the linked doc, it seems to be a bit too glossy and, dare I say, professional, to be compared with Praeco. Al et al (so to speak), correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall Praeco was a black and white job containing about 2 pages on academics, 3 pages on traditions and about 20 pages on a hatchet job review of all the pubs in town. Oh and a mini-biog of D'Arcy Thompson, curiously.
bdw

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:22 pm

Yep, the Orientation Brochure is produced by the University.

I think that Praeco was the Union's publication, or some form of "Alternative Prospectus".

The students' association has produced a 160page book as a guide to St Andrews.
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:24 pm

Come on - the Union got rave reviews. Or was that another year? Is this the one in Dana's year?

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:34 pm

Holy too-much-information Batman! No chance of that being cut down to the bare essentials then?

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting bdw from 13:11, 13th Sep 2007
Looking at the linked doc, it seems to be a bit too glossy and, dare I say, professional, to be compared with Praeco. Al et al (so to speak), correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall Praeco was a black and white job containing about 2 pages on academics, 3 pages on traditions and about 20 pages on a hatchet job review of all the pubs in town. Oh and a mini-biog of D'Arcy Thompson, curiously.

It was a simpler publication for simpler times.
Al

Re:

Postby bdw on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:41 pm

Quoting Mr Comedy from 13:24, 13th Sep 2007
Come on - the Union got rave reviews. Or was that another year? Is this the one in Dana's year?

[hr]

Which was Dana's year? This was '94. Think you're right though about the review of the Union. From the write-up, I think I trotted into town believing that the Union threw better nights than the Hacienda and dished out more delectable meals than Claridge's.
bdw

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Dana's was 2001 (my first year).

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:47 am

(Praeco - Insurance Officer) + Alternative Prospectus + Societies Descriptions + parts of the DisOrientation Manual + all of the other safety and info leaflets or booklets that used to get lost by students within minutes = The Book

Insurance Officer!!! That always had me shaking my head in amazement when looking over the old publications. Tell me Al or bdw remembers there being an insurance officer.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Adam Fellows on Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:53 pm

At least St Andrews bothered to send stuff out / have easily available brochures about what was going on in Orientation. Having just started at Manchester (and am sure any medics who are here now agree with me, well this year's lot will) I received virtually no information on what was happening on campus to introduce me to the University. Admittedly there isn't the same sense of community here, but still a list of various events and things would have been nice. Instead each different sector, including the SU, just published a small leaflet asking us to go to the website for that unit, which hadn't been updated. The only half useful thing we got was the Crucial Guide - their version of the book but pretty much just telling you how to pay your fees and giving details of the inept registration.

And the volunteers here are rubbish too.

*mutters* St Andrews did it so much better

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100367
Adam Fellows

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:58 pm

Y'know what this means, Adam? i can see the signs. There'll be a little nagging voice telling you that YOU could do it better and you'll feel obligated to at least try to make your new Uni the best it can be.
Whether that voice is your subconscious or a real person depends on other factors.
Bonnie

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board