Home

TheSinner.net

Happy?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Happy?

Postby [James] on Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:15 pm

And apparently we didn't even cheat this time:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/di ... 96.0.0.php
[James]

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:17 pm

Oddly enough, I'm happier now that I've left St Andrews. My second year there was horrible and I'm actually glad to have left and transferred.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Midget on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:02 pm

Well why keep on coming back to the message board of the Uni you hated? I know its only a message board, but most of us who keep on posting post graduating are nostalgic not bitter, if I had bad memories I'd stop visiting sites that remind me of them.

Just seems a bit like hitting yourself in the face with a pair of clogs when your not even in Holland stoned.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg new shite
http://edinburgh.threeweeks.co.uk/brows ... 44&cnt=all
Midget

Re:

Postby chief_gobbo on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:37 pm

Seems like a case of sour grapes from James Alexander, the NUS president. Just because it was a non-NUS uni that came out on top.
chief_gobbo

Re:

Postby iab2 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:28 am

No word from St Andrews representative union (chess is it?), and the papers immediatly go to the NUS. Ever feel under-represented by your own union?

I personally did not fill out the survey as only certain Scottish universities were involved, while it seemed all England and Wales was included. I felt that rendered it's results meaningless as a comparison. I wonder how many St Andrews students actually participated, or was it only me that thought like that?

[hr]

http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/104233.html
iab2

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:33 am

Yay! I feel satisfied (if a little bruised)!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:11 am

""Whether or not someone is satisfied is a meaningless and crude measure."

I'm not sure this is true. If you ask everyone the same questions, what does it matter if people don't have another university to compare against? (as long as everyone is in the same boat).

I mean if a man living in a cardboard box feels more satisfied than one living in a luxury mansion, then I would suggest the question should be - "What makes this box so special or this person living in it so different?" rather than - "does the box man and the mansion man have a suitable case for comparison?"

Surely happiness is a personal and measurable feeling, not a relative one?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby October on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:01 am

Quoting munchingfoo from 08:11, 14th Sep 2007
""Whether or not someone is satisfied is a meaningless and crude measure."

I'm not sure this is true. If you ask everyone the same questions, what does it matter if people don't have another university to compare against? (as long as everyone is in the same boat).

I mean if a man living in a cardboard box feels more satisfied than one living in a luxury mansion, then I would suggest the question should be - "What makes this box so special or this person living in it so different?" rather than - "does the box man and the mansion man have a suitable case for comparison?"

Surely happiness is a personal and measurable feeling, not a relative one?

I think he's just pissed that it was a non-NUS uni that got the top spots.

[hr]

I never thought I be so grateful that my best friend from college went on to become the director of the CIA.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:56 pm

Mehmsy

Re:

Postby [James] on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Incidentally, the results of this survey seem to complete the set for St Andrews this year - 4th in the UK in the Guardian league table, 5th in the UK in The Times and the Good University Guide, a substantial lead as 1st in Scotland in all three of the above, and now the top university in Britain for satisfaction (if we ignore the Open University).
[James]

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting Midget from 00:02, 14th Sep 2007
Just seems a bit like hitting yourself in the face with a pair of clogs when your not even in Holland stoned.

Best simile ever.

I'm ecstatic to be back in town.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:44 pm

Quoting Malcolm from 22:17, 13th Sep 2007
Oddly enough, I'm happier now that I've left St Andrews. My second year there was horrible and I'm actually glad to have left and transferred.

Good ridance. Shit, you're my son, I can't say that.

Quit your moaning. :P Go live happily ever after in some less happy place. You'll be more happy amongst less happy people. The difference will add smugness to the enjoyment :)

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:41 am

[I don't think it's that CHESS or St Andrews is underrepresented, but that the press automatically assumes the NUS represents all UK students (wrong on two levels). Plus, even if they did call St Andrews, if they don't get the Pres. straight away-- which happens most of the time because Tom doesn't answer the main Union line of course, they'll call the NUS next who have someone in a sort of on duty status at all times to give press quotes. The press gets their line and runs it, thinking that an NUS line is as good as any.]
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Dardar on Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:18 pm

The Students' Association did actually release a press statement about this. It was picked up by the Citizen, but was ignored by the national papers. The gist of it was that we were delighted the University had done so well and it was an outstanding achievement - but there was still lots to do and we shouldn't rest upon our laurels.

774 St Andrews students filled out the form from a sample of 1341 (which was a ratio very similar to the overall response rate).

(I am happy the students are back - I missed you all!)
Dardar

Re:

Postby the Empress on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:10 pm

A bit irrelevant to the thread (sorry) but re Chess vs NUS - I tried to get student discount at Topshop in Newcastle and was told I couldn't as they only accepted NUS cards which cost £10 each . . the gist was that it wasn't fair to other students as I hadn't 'paid' for my discount. I tried to explain the whole Chess/Scottish University but wasn't too successful. I just wondered if anyone else had had similiar problems with student discounts?
the Empress

Return to The Sinner's Main Board