Home

TheSinner.net

Pub Science goes wrong!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Pub Science goes wrong!

Postby Cain on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:43 pm

On Friday I at the pub with people from work.

One chap had bought three pints of something beerish. He returned from the bar, put them on the table and didn't touch them for a few minutes while we continued a conversation.

One of the pint glasses cracked completely around about a third of the way down the glass. It was relatively smooth, but an irregular break. There was no impact on the glass, no jostling of the table and the drinks were not especially cold.

What would cause something like this?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Mutley on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:06 pm

[quote]Quoting cain from 18:43, 23rd Sep 2007

What would cause something like this?

It is like that it was caused by a sudden change in temperature causing a quick contraction of the glass particles. In other words a relatively warm glass (having been recently washed) meets with iced cool beery goodness.

Its a common problem for pubs that use automated washers and cheap glasses

[hr]

So how is life, love and the endless pursuit of happiness?
So how is life, love and the endless pursuit of happiness?
Mutley

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting mutley from 21:06, 23rd Sep 2007

It is like that it was caused by a sudden change in temperature causing a quick contraction of the glass particles. In other words a relatively warm glass (having been recently washed) meets with iced cool beery goodness.

thats a pet hate of mine, glasses should be cooled before serving beer/spirits in them. Nothing worse than holding a hot pint glass with cold beer in it :(

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

thats a pet hate of mine, glasses should be cooled before serving beer/spirits in them. Nothing worse than holding a hot pint glass with cold beer in it :(

[hr]

niall

Re:

[hr]

niall

Return to The Sinner's Main Board