Home

TheSinner.net

Starfields

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 15:57, 15th Oct 2007
right about now.

the funk soul brother.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 16:03, 15th Oct 2007
the funk soul brother.

Check it out now.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:50 pm

I would check it out now, but the details are known only to a select few.

We wouldn't want to get people interested in this event, would we?

If Starfields are confident about their lineup, then they should be shouting about it.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:56 pm

They are shouting about it - there's flyers, posters and of course their website (which has the full line up).

There's a advert at the top and bottom of the page I'm looking at on The Sinner, and there's side bar ads too - how much more do you want them to shout?

More, obviously.

Perhaps they could broadcast a radio signal to publicise the event even more. Hang on a sec - is that a transmitter aerial being erected on top of the Union? It is!
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby iab2 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:20 pm

Well, that seems to just about cover it then. Have you got vans with megaphones on the street? I think they make an event.

[hr]

http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/104233.html
iab2

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Quoting ewan husami from 16:56, 15th Oct 2007
They are shouting about it - there's flyers, posters and of course their website (which has the full line up).

There's a advert at the top and bottom of the page I'm looking at on The Sinner, and there's side bar ads too - how much more do you want them to shout?

More, obviously.

Perhaps they could broadcast a radio signal to publicise the event even more. Hang on a sec - is that a transmitter aerial being erected on top of the Union? It is!

Then why the word-of-mouth business?

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:54 pm

Perhaps because the location of the event wasn't going to be confirmed until after the publicity had been printed and distributed - mainly because the University were unsure whether or not to allow the event to take place on their grounds.
The event may have moved location, but thankfully the powers that be in the Uni granted StarFields permission to host it on the North Haugh.

It's going to be pretty awesome, don't you think? It's the first time an event of this magnitude has taken place in the University, and it's the biggest music festival St Andrews has ever seen!
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Lid on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:24 pm

As a stalwart critic of nigh-on everything posted on The Sinner, I have to say... I'm actually quite looking forward to it!

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin

Edit: rephrased long-time stalwart to stalwart, them meaning the same thing and all that.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby slickinho10 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:27 am

Before I make my point I would like to say I'm all for Starfields and reckon it has the potential to be the best student event of the year.

My only criticism is the decision to hold it on a Thursday night outside the largest university halls of residence without consulting either the residents or the staff of the building. I appreciate its on the North Haugh probably to save costs and appease town gown relations but I think its a shame when the students concerns are not factored in. I feel sorry for any students with 9 o'clock lectures or work to do on Thursday night who are probably going to get a rubbish nights sleep.
slickinho10

Re:

Postby Legion on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:33 am

There's loads of factors involved though - University permission, licencing, availability of the equipment, staff, and perhaps most importantly, SPACE!

Can you think of anywhere else within walking distance of the town centre that could host two MASSIVE tents? I mean, have you SEEN how big they are?

(Apologies for potentially making my post read like something written by Chandler)
Legion

Re:

Postby Freaker on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:18 pm

Quoting legion from 10:33, 17th Oct 2007Can you think of anywhere else within walking distance of the town centre that could host two MASSIVE tents? I mean, have you SEEN how big they are?

As I am not in St Andrews this year, I for one have not, but am, like presumably many others on here, dying to see a picture of the fabled tents. Anyone?

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 19:11, 15th Oct 2007
Quoting ewan husami from 16:56, 15th Oct 2007

More, obviously.

Then why the word-of-mouth business?

[hr]

Sounds to me like they're trying to market it like some kind of underground-scene rave (one that just happens to be organised by the Union, and costs £30 a ticket).

In all seriousness, this event is going to pull an enormous crowd. We can be as cynical as we like about it all; but I imagine the people will turn up regardless of what we might think. In the same way that the Bop is a crap night (which always pulls in an enormous crowd) and the Lizard Lounge is a dog-house (which often turns people away at the door because it's at capacity), Starfields probably appeals to everyone who matters.

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby slickinho10 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:24 pm

Quoting legion from 10:33, 17th Oct 2007
There's loads of factors involved though - University permission, licencing, availability of the equipment, staff, and perhaps most importantly, SPACE!

Can you think of anywhere else within walking distance of the town centre that could host two MASSIVE tents? I mean, have you SEEN how big they are?

(Apologies for potentially making my post read like something written by Chandler)

Larger tents are frequently put up on the Strathtyrum estate (i.e clan gathering and they're tents are much BIGGER!!!) with little or no hassle so there is one place for a start. Putting things in capitals DOES NOT make your point more valid. The bottom line is its thoughtless, inconsiderate and downright unacceptable to put on something like this without due consultation with people who live in the immediate area.
slickinho10

Re:

Postby Admin on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Frequently? Hardly.
There was one bigger tent for the Clan gathering last summer on the Strathtyrum Estate, but I'm not aware of there being any others there, and I don't know of any other bigger tents in St Andrews.
Strathtyrum is private land, so any hassle would have been due to the landlord (and I don't think there was any hassle, but I imagine the costs would be considerably high). Starfields is hosted on University property.

The clan gathering was held further out from town (an extra half mile or so), but that was for 20,000 extra people who were camping on site, not 2000 St Andrews residents.

Did anyone ask the town residents whether they minded having a huge influx of people on top of the many tourists? (For a week). Worth considering.

Anyway, I think we're quibbling about minor details really.

The event and its location has been carefully thought out and negotiated, and although it may cause a little disturbance to the few residents who aren't going to be at the event on their doorstep, it will bring a huge amount of enjoyment to those who attend, and it's good to see the union doing something on this scale.

You're exactly right about the capitals though. Capitals don't add any validity to my point, but they did help emphasise the words, which was my intention. I've used italics this time - which do you prefer?

Oh- and Freaker, you'll find pictures of the tents at http://www.thestarfields.com There's plans on there too -these tents are so much bigger than the standard marquees the KK uses for its balls!
Admin

Re:

Postby slickinho10 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:29 pm

Again, i think its a fabulous event, absolutely brilliant in fact and i'm really looking forward to it.

However, for you to say that the positioning had been well thought out and negotiated merely highlights my original point which is that there was absolutely no negotiation with any of the residents, or hall committees or management of those places that would suffer from noise pollution and disturbance (I'm sure that those students not going may very well view it as pollution) is an absolute joke. Furthermore, for you to say that the absolute lack of consideration is a minor detail makes me laugh too as its surely the main detail.

I would think that your point on the clan gathering is not a particularly good one as 1) the site is a five minute walk further than the North Haugh, also whether its one big tent or twenty million it just shows its possible. 2) the residents of st andrews did not have music blaring into their homes (which is what halls are after all and students pay through the nose for them) in the early evening during clan gathering and although the soundcheck which is currently going on is whetting my appetite for the event its probably really upsetting a lot of people who were oblivious to it occurring until possibly tuesday.

I'd also like to know exactly how many students from New, Melville and Uni halls will be there because I find it hard to believe it will be the majority and therefore should we really expect them to have to put up with the disruption because some people want to have fun??

anyway, i've enjoyed the banter but just to close, I think keeping the venue under wraps and not telling people about it means that a lot of students who don't want to be there couldn't make arrangements to leave. I appreciate it added to the whole excitement of the event but its unfair to just dump it down on someone doorstep and say "well here you go buddy!"

I think i prefer the
CAPITALS for emphasis
slickinho10

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:58 pm

It's one night. Some disturbance is inevitable but it's not going to be ongoing. People who live in the town probably have to put up with as much disturbance every night of the week.
Al

Re:

Postby slickinho10 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting Al from 20:58, 17th Oct 2007
It's one night. Some disturbance is inevitable but it's not going to be ongoing. People who live in the town probably have to put up with as much disturbance every night of the week.

so that makes it ok? great arguement! i've been put well and truly in my place, sorry, I best shut up as we obviously aren't fussed about doing things in a manner that shows consideration towards those disrupted by our actions,right I'm off to get my beauty sleep before tomorrow nights dancin' and getting wasted!!!
slickinho10

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:12 pm

Jesus, some people need to chill

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Having lived in the centre of St Andrews (Logies Lane and Market Street) and right next to one of the most frequently used out-of-town venues (Kinkell Farm), I'd say that late night noise from passers by is far more irritating than the occasional music event.

I'll freely admit that both types of disturbance are really annoying, but you can at least take comfort in the fact that it's only for one night - not every single night of the year.

It might not be very fair for the nearby residents, but there will be more people benefitting from the event than inconvenienced, so if you view it in terms of "the greater good", in my opinion the event and its location are a Good Thing.

(It also raises the profile of Star FM and the Students' Association, and will hopefully raise a lot of money for the SA, which in turn will benefit ALL the students through society grants, personal safety, accommodation and educational advocacy etc etc)
Thackary

Re:

Postby creepy old man on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:08 pm

My only problem with the event is the annoying music that's been playing all day outside the union for a few weeks now. Never fails to get an obnoxiously catchy song stuck in my head as I walk out of town, spoiling the walk home. But I hope everyone who goes has fun.
creepy old man

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board