Home

TheSinner.net

Starfields

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Starfields

Postby DrAlex on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:12 pm

It's here! This is the one you've been waiting for as you sat through all those balls. This is your chance, this is ST. ANDREWS' chance to rock, to dance, to party with the BEST DJs that clubland has to offer and sample the latest and greatest local bands (trust us, we've got your tastes covered).

They're all coming here - to St. Andrews; the town that never gets good acts, the town that's just too far North to matter, the town that struggles to get itself on the map. FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY - this is your chance to experience something new, exciting and bold. This is STAR FIELDS.

That whole second paragraph: Do people really feel that way about St Andrews? Is the night life really so awful that we need "a chance to...party with the BEST DJs that clubland has to offer"? Is there a contingent of people who feel that way strongly enough to pay £30-£45 for the privilege?

If I wasn't in one of the "local bands", I wouldn't even think twice about not going.

Edit: "Too far North to matter"? It must really suck for Aberdeen if we're too far north to matter...

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby iab2 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:02 am

Too far north to matter but not too far north for succesful groups such as KT Tunstall and Snow Patrol etc to form up here and return for the odd concert or two. And didn't we have radio 1's big weekend somewhere in our extreme latitude this year?

"Starfields! We have second hand tents! And our own toilets! One not to miss!!!"

[hr]

http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/104233.html
iab2

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:34 am

What the devil is this, anyway? Someone ought to inform the promoter that insulting the town he intends to run his show in probably isn't the best way to endear himself to his potential audience.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting David Bean from 01:34, 30th Sep 2007
What the devil is this, anyway?

It's a dance event in two huge tents run by the Students' Association (or more accurately the Broadcasting Committee).

I think in this case the promoter speaks with about enough conviction. It's seldom there's a big dance event around these parts, One Big Weekend attracts huge numbers from all over the country, no matter where it's held, so that's not really a comparison. Anyway, it makes a change, so that must be a good thing.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:04 am

Am I to understand that this happening in 18 days and they don't have a finalised location yet? :-S

I would feel a bit worried about buying a ticket right now, although i really want to go.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 am

I've heard that the location is 'secret', which makes it all the more delectable that I know where it is...

Am I the only person who can barely distinguish between DJs? It's just someone choosing which CD to put on next. Steve Savage, Hedkandi, it's all the same to me. (Except perhaps that Steve understands that whatever anyone in this town claims, they really just want Build Me Up Buttercup and Summer of 69)

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:53 pm

A good DJ will take you on a musical journey which starts and ends and you didn't ever notice there being breaks in the middle. You won't hear something like that from Steve.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby L on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 00:12, 30th Sep 2007

That whole second paragraph: Do people really feel that way about St Andrews? Is the night life really so awful that we need "a chance to...party with the BEST DJs that clubland has to offer"? Is there a contingent of people who feel that way strongly enough to pay £30-£45 for the privilege?

If I wasn't in one of the "local bands", I wouldn't even think twice about not going.

Edit: "Too far North to matter"? It must really suck for Aberdeen if we're too far north to matter...

[hr]

I have seen local and student bands perform in St Andrews, I've seen the musicians who are billed to play at the event. I don’t think the promoters wished to mean they thought St Andrews was insignificant for musical talent but just that no big name ever comes up here. The people who organize the big events are always saying that when they call round and try and get people to play in St Andrews they are just greeted with a massive NO. In that respect, St Andrews is too insignificant to matter, bands and DJ’s just don’t want to come up here and play. Hopefully if this event is a success, then it will change the image of St Andrews so acts will want to come and play up here.
Finally someone has come up with an original idea for St Andrews and a proper festival atmosphere.
Coming from a big city I also find that St Andrews night life needs a lot to be desired, the fact that everything shuts at 1am, except the Friday night Union a leaves a lot to be desired. Don’t get me wrong, I love going out in St Andrews and find it a different experience then going out at home, it’s smaller and a more closely knit community vibe.

Quoting iab2 from 01:02, 30th Sep 2007

"Starfields! We have second hand tents! And our own toilets! One not to miss!!!"

I think getting festival tents is an awesome idea as it breaks away from the standard St Andrews marquee. Also they are going to be second hand as the festivals don’t have their own, they just rent from a company in the same way the event must be doing.
L

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:40 pm

This looks absolutely awesome - there are some really good DJs and pulling Hedkandi to St Andrews is an absolute scene.

I'm genuinely disappointed I can't come.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:44 am

What is with the St. Andrews obsession with having VIP/Gold/Platinum areas?

A lot of people take themselves way too seriously.

Re:

Postby Warlike Lover on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:12 am

It's a bit of fun, and if you want to splash out on a bit extra (and in this case you'll get a LOT extra for you money!), then why not?
Warlike Lover

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:14 am

Anyone know where to buy tickets/when from?

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:25 pm

They're being sold outside the Union and also http://www.thestarfields.com
Ethan With

Re:

Postby Lid on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:21 pm

I see tents. I see Starfields.

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:56 pm

"The location is being spread by word of mouth."

If this bop is anything like how I imagine it, it's going to be the most hilarious night of my life.

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby Starfields on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting DrAlex from 19:56, 13th Oct 2007
"The location is being spread by word of mouth."

If this bop is anything like how I imagine it, it's going to be the most hilarious night of my life.

[hr]

Dr Alex, I am wondering why are you so negative towards Starfields? As the organiser of the event I'm intrigued as to why you claim you are playing at the event even though you seem to despise it so much. Surely a music festival showcasing St Andrews musical talent is a good thing for both the town and the student body.
To name a few of the many attractions available; two purpose made festival tents, internationally recognised DJs, a band made of local school students, current and alumni university student bands and unique location, the event surely offers more excitement and amenities then a bop?
You seem to claim you know a lot about the event and that it is going to be a “hilarious” night, however I fail to see how could possibly know what is going to happen at the event as the details regarding the layout and proceedings are only known to a few.
Starfields

Re:

Postby Midget on Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:07 pm

The big red tent on the North Haugh,
Is that what the 30-45 pounds is for?

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg new shite
http://edinburgh.threeweeks.co.uk/brows ... 44&cnt=all
Midget

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Indeed, I'll help spread by word of mouth: Go have a look out of the window of the journals room in the Physics/Maths/Comp Sci library... you might get a clue as to where it is being held.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting Starfields from 01:42, 14th Oct 2007
Dr Alex, I am wondering why are you so negative towards Starfields? As the organiser of the event I'm intrigued as to why you claim you are playing at the event even though you seem to despise it so much.

I'm intrigued as to how you've surmised that I "despise" this event, given that I've only posted twice on this thread. Both times, you'll notice, I have mainly made points about the saviours of St Andrews music scene/night life style marketing, and not, as you accuse, the event itself. I did ask if the "clubland" market was particularly large in this town, which I will see for myself on Thursday because, not only am I claiming it, I am in fact playing at Starfields.

Surely a music festival showcasing St Andrews musical talent is a good thing for both the town and the student body.
To name a few of the many attractions available; two purpose made festival tents, internationally recognised DJs, a band made of local school students, current and alumni university student bands and unique location, the event surely offers more excitement and amenities then a bop?

Now, I will concede that my use of the term bop may be offensive to an event organiser, and for that I apologise. But, at the end of the day, this is pretty similar to a bop in the most basic of terms.

As for showcasing musical talent, I wholly agree with, and support, Star FMs continuing efforts to promote the music scene in St Andrews. As a veteran, the scene needs all the help it can get. I disagree, however, that Starfields is the event I've "been waiting for" as I "sat through all those balls" or that this is my only chance to hear the "latest and greatest local bands".

As a performer, I also take exception to being one of the "latest and greatest bands", and yet not good at all, because this is "the town that never gets good acts".

You seem to claim you know a lot about the event and that it is going to be a “hilarious” night, however I fail to see how could possibly know what is going to happen at the event as the details regarding the layout and proceedings are only known to a few.

If you go back and read what I actually said, I mused only that this night will be hilarious if it is going to turn out the way I imagine it. I wholly accept that you guys may pull it off, and I will be happy for you (after all, I don't want to perform to an empty tent). I've never claimed to know a lot about this event, and I think the fact that I know so little, both as a soon-to-be patron and performer, is pretty hilarious. But how can this level of secrecy and word of mouth marketing really be a good business choice?

As I did in the original post, I question whether the hype that you seem to be counting on is as big as you think it is. If that rumour about slow ticket sales was true, I'd be pretty worried right about now.

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:59 pm

I can't find last years price, but in 2006 a day ticket (whole day, not just evening) to T-in the park cost. £56.50.

I'd feel guilty paying £45 for one night on the north haugh :s, and I'd feel unsatisified knowing what was going on in the other tent paying £30. :(

[hr]

munchingfoo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board