Home

TheSinner.net

Is The Sinner just an ex-pat community?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Is The Sinner just an ex-pat community?

Postby McK on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:19 pm

After a conversation with a trusted member of my academic family, I wondered whether The Sinner has not been usurped by Facebook/Bebo, and has become a sort of ex-pat community for the older, less technologically inclined alumnus?

Am I right?

How many of you are current students, of the 2006 or 2007 intake?
McK

Re:

Postby orudge on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:12 am

Well, I'm still a "current student", but of the 2005 intake, probably the last year I saw any sort of advertising for The Sinner around. I gather Oli is intending to advertise the site more soon though, so perhaps we will get some fresh blood in. I wouldn't say the Sinner is just an ex-pat community at present, but at the same time, new students are becoming few and far between.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:58 am

Facebook didn't kill the sinner, the sinner killed the sinner.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:26 am

I killed the Sinner.

Well, I didn't really. But it begun dying its death more or less at the time I logged on properly.

What we need is a good bit of university-wide and important debate on it.

Facebook might replace it for keeping in touch (though I don't imagine it ever was used for that), but it's certainly still the only proper communal forum we have for things pedantic...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby kitty on Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:00 am

I think the biggest flaw has been in advertising. Facebook serves an entirely different purpose than the sinner does so it shouldn't really have anything to do with it's demise. Students would obviously use thesinner.net more if they were aware of its existence. I am of the 2005 intake as well.
kitty

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:22 am

I'm just curious why you had to point out it was a 'trusted' member of your academic family.

Is there a guild of assassins that hunts down those who slag off the sinner?

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:52 am

I can't imagine Bebo usurping anything, and Facebook, as has been said above, serves a quite different purpose to The Sinner.

I'm not sure advertising is the answer to any perceived decline. It might temporarily attract new users, but there has got to be something to keep them here.
Al

Re:

Postby macgamer on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:29 am

Important debate? I'll get one started on a new thread.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby macgamer on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:34 am

Join the debate:

Main/thesinner/30351
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby 777 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:09 am

I'm a new student[img]littleicons/yellowtounge.gif[/img]
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Re:

Postby iab2 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:32 am

And I am part of 07/08 intake, though as a postgrad I have already served a three year tour here before I graduated. And technically I am registered in Heriot-Watt, though working living here for the semester, making me a Sinner ex patriot in transit.

How many whingers here will bring in new blood, either by distributing the posters or shouting loudly in the streets etc? The same people should also keep the pointless pedantry (staple and amusing fare of Sinners though it is) down to minimum until the freshers are firmly trapped in this beasts jaws with no hope of escape, at which point the mighty battery of pure invective may be brought to bear and fired with all the speed you can muster from your touch typing digits.

[hr]

http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/104233.html
iab2

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:07 am

Tell you what puts a lot of new people off after their first couple of forays?

"Stupid noobs, we had that discussion three years ago!" and similar posts from more established users. If I join a new forum and get shouted down the second I post something, I'll leave, similarly if all the first few topics have 48 pages worth of comments, I won't join in. Some of the old threads need to be allowed to die and some people need to just let new people start the same discussions over again. Does it really matter all that much if an old topic gets raised in a new thread? Do we have to trawl back to the old one? Is what you said on it so seminal that it must be seen by all? Could you not just type it again?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Admin on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:30 am

Hear hear.

Far be it for me to tell people what to do, or how to act, but I feel that more people would be inclined to continue using The Sinner if the existing users were more welcoming.

Having said that, the users on the whole are helpful, friendly and generally quite pleasant. Sadly, there are a few more vocal members who seem to enjoy stirring things up by posting offensive or inflammatory messages, which is a shame.

There's a new advertising campaign coming out which should stir up some new interest in the site - let's welcome them with open arms; listen to what they have to say and perhaps we can keep the pedantry down a bit?

I think there's one phrase that sums up how we should all act; two philosophers from the 1990s really hit the nail on the head when they said, "Be excellent to each other".

Shall we aim for a positive outlook to 07/08?
Admin

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Hippy.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:48 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 13:36, 6th Oct 2007
Hippy.

For once, I agree with him!

Go get your hair cut and put a suit on. Stop being so luvvy duvvy.

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Admin on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:54 pm

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was talking to my plants and giving my trees a much needed hug.
Admin

Re:

Postby 777 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome, guys; you all know how to make a newb feel special[img]littleicons/laugh.gif[/img]
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks for the welcome, guys. You all know how to make a nebie feel special[img]littleicons/grin.gif[/img]

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:53 am

I've commented on this phenomenon before, and being of the 05 intake I still feel like on of the youngest on these here boards. I think a poll might be in order...

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby mispy on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:07 pm

I'm 06 intake and I read the Sinner, I've just not posted before. I saw it as a good way to see what was going on and keep myself amused. I found the new advertising on my floor this evening (it was miles away from the door, so it may have arrived earlier and I kicked it there, or the Sinner is employing people with good wrist skills) and thought if I wanted it to carry on, possibly I should actually post.

I think probably I'm not the only one.
mispy

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board