Home

TheSinner.net

Rugby Final

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Rugby Final

Postby sweet on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:14 pm

*sniff*

Wilkinson was very gracious in defeat. I want to make him a nice hot cup of tea. Perhaps with whiskey in...

(edited for spelling, I must've been more tired than I realised when I posted)
sweet

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:16 pm

Commendable effort.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:22 pm

Fucking ace tournament. Four years is too long to wait :(
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Rectalprobe on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:07 am

I was disgusted by the way that a SMALL group of England fans at the front of venue 1 acted upon losing. Had england won you would have been dancing all around the place, on the stage etc. but when the small group of south african fans got on the stage to celebrate, a couple of the england fans began hurling abuse and GLASSES at them.

No wonder people think your thugs when this kind of behaviour goes on and people think its ok!
Rectalprobe

Re:

Postby Phantasm on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting Rectalprobe from 10:07, 21st Oct 2007
I was disgusted by the way that a SMALL group of England fans at the front of venue 1 acted upon losing. Had england won you would have been dancing all around the place, on the stage etc. but when the small group of south african fans got on the stage to celebrate, a couple of the england fans began hurling abuse and GLASSES at them.

No wonder people think your thugs when this kind of behaviour goes on and people think its ok!

Blah blah blah. The same can be said for the Scotland fans at the England game against Russia on wednesday who were sitting and taunting the England fans when Russia scored.

And for this small group of south african fans? It would not surprise me in the slightest if it were mainly made up of anti-english scots who would support any team England were playing against.

[hr]

Dean Learner: "I had a cat once. I dropped a safe on it. It was a write-off, so I stood on it's head."
Dean Learner: "I had a cat once. I dropped a safe on it. It was a write-off, so I stood on it's head."
Phantasm

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:49 am

I hardly think you can equate a bit of banter to throwing glasses!

I made the first reply to this thread and I'm Scottish.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Phantasm on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:02 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 12:49, 21st Oct 2007
I hardly think you can equate a bit of banter to throwing glasses!

I made the first reply to this thread and I'm Scottish.

[hr]

Fair enough, I'm not saying ALL Scots are anti-english but there are still a fair few that take far too much pleasure in seeing England lose which seems unjustified to me.

Banter or not it's a fairly emotional thing to lose an important Euro 2008 game, or indeed a world cup final. I'm not saying that it's acceptable to throw glasses at people, it clearly isn't, but it's unfair to label England fans "thugs" for doing something stupid at a moment when emotions would be running high. If drink has been flowing and an opposing team are dancing about right in your face i'm sure that a minority of Scottish, French, Irish fans may have acted in the very same way, had they been in the final. It is simply unfair to generalise that England fans are thugs. Given the same situation it seems unlikely that no other nations fans would have acted in the very same way.

[hr]

Phantasm

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Hmm - interesting piont of view.

My experiences suggest otherwise though.

I have witnessed 5 incidents involving glasses in my life.

1 was not related to sports.
1 was over a rangers/forfar game, and it was a celtic supporter that used the glass.

The remaining three have been in st andrews. All three have taken place in the union. All three have been English fans (of both rugby and football). Twice when they lost and, strangely enough, once when they won.

Whilst I am sure this does not infer that no scotsman has ever thrown a glass in anger at their national team's result, it does seem to suggest that saying "Given the same situation it seems unlikely that no other nations fans would have acted in the very same way." is probably not sensible. I would certainly expect students to have a bit more sense.

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:14 pm

So, phantasm, it's unfair to label some England fans as thugs but it's perfectly fair to label all Scotland fans as anti-English?

Curious.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby treehugger on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:28 pm

Of course it's uncool to throw things at some celebrating fans, it sucked to see people around me doing so. To be fair I don't think any actual glass was thrown though. Still.

However i do think the 7 or 8 south african fans in the room displayed pretty poor judgement throughout though. There a few girls there who were really drunk and i thought their celebrations at the end, in a room 95% full of england fans, almost amounted to baiting.

Of course they should celebrate the victory, but in situations where you are in the clear minority you don't want to get too beligerant about it. One girl tried to drape me in the south african flag, I had a face like a smacked arse and was wearing an england shirt- supprisingly I wasn't in the mood. Surely It's best to keep it a little more low key until you are on more friendly turf?
treehugger

Re:

Postby Phantasm on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 15:14, 21st Oct 2007
So, phantasm, it's unfair to label some England fans as thugs but it's perfectly fair to label all Scotland fans as anti-English?

Curious.

Did you bother to read anything I wrote?.

"I'm not saying ALL Scots are anti-english but there are still a fair few that take far too much pleasure in seeing England lose which seems unjustified to me."

I don't think I can make it any clearer.

[hr]

Phantasm

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:44 pm

Ah, righto, got it now. Your anecdotal observations are valid, other people's are not? Glad that's cleared up.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Phantasm on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:00 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 15:44, 21st Oct 2007
Ah, righto, got it now. Your anecdotal observations are valid, other people's are not? Glad that's cleared up.

You believed that I said ALL Scottish fans are anti-english, I showed you that I said otherwise.

If you can't understand that theres really no hope for you.

[hr]

Phantasm

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:00 pm

I maintain it was a try.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:01 pm

That damn try took so long to be called, my internal organs were on the verge of imploding.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting Phantasm from 16:00, 21st Oct 2007
You believed that I said ALL Scottish fans are anti-english, I showed you that I said otherwise.

If you can't understand that theres really no hope for you.

On the contrary, all I believe is that you made unfounded comments about Scots fans (that they were the ones celebrating not South Africans, that they take too much pleasure in England's losses). You think it's fine for you to make these unfounded generalisations, but when similar generalisations are made about English fans you leap to their defence. It is you who cannot understand the simple.
exnihilo

This is really Exnihilo lol

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:24 pm

PS you're a fag
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Spam Muncher on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:31 pm

I think its pretty disgusting how theres always this one same Scottish guy who will always visibly cheer on England's opposition in the Union, whether it be Rugby or Football. Im all for supporting any1 from the United Kingdom if theyre playing, but I mean, come on, if an English fan did the opposite during Scotland game, we'd come out with a black eye or something, so I don't know why we take such a petty act on the chin. Does it make him feel big and clever? I've just never understood why it happens, must be some sort of inferiority/jealousy thing.....

Btw, awesome final, atmosphere was great, and congrats must go out to the South Africans, its a shame some England fans appear to have let things get a little outta hand...
Spam Muncher

Re:

Postby anon on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:24 pm

And for this small group of south african fans? It would not surprise me in the slightest if it were mainly made up of anti-english scots who would support any team England were playing against.

two of them were scottish, the rest south african
anon

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting Spam Muncher from 11:01, 21st Oct 2007
I think its pretty disgusting how theres always this one same Scottish guy who will always visibly cheer on England's opposition in the Union, whether it be Rugby or Football.

Perhaps you can take this opportunity to advise the gentleman how he may go about invisibly cheering?

Im all for supporting any1 from the United Kingdom if theyre playing, but I mean, come on, if an English fan did the opposite during Scotland game, we'd come out with a black eye or something,

Ah, the good old, probably or something argument, never fails. Are you on drugs? People support the opposite team from Scotland almost every union hosted match.

so I don't know why we take such a petty act on the chin.

Was that supposed to be a pun?

Does it make him feel big and clever? I've just never understood why it happens, must be some sort of inferiority/jealousy thing.....

Or perhaps its people suggesting that he is inferior/jealous?

[hr]

munchingfoo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board