Home

TheSinner.net

Elections

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:14 am

Who are the elections officers for this election?
Al

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting Al from 00:14, 2nd Nov 2007

Senior: Steve Savage
Deputy Seniors: Tom d'Ardenne and Zoe Gage
Officers: Jenny Mackay, Rich Robinson, Royce Hunt, Rob Fett, Sarah McCusker, Alison Hunter, Matthew Guest

Apologies if I've missed anyone off.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting Lid from 00:37, 2nd Nov 2007
Quoting Al from 00:14, 2nd Nov 2007

Senior: Steve Savage
Deputy Seniors: Tom d'Ardenne and Zoe Gage
Officers: Jenny Mackay, Rich Robinson, Royce Hunt, Rob Fett, Sarah McCusker, Alison Hunter, Matthew Guest

Apologies if I've missed anyone off.

[hr]

While the elections maybe pointless as a third testacle; the poor bastards who have to count the votes certainly need a reprive or seven from their nasty, unenviable shit.

Therefore; Whenever we buy a drink today/tomorrow; we should all endeavor to buy another one for the officers stuck upstairs counting votes.

In short; Voddy & Cokes for everyone!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:49 am

And; half an hour later, my stance has become Facebook-politicised!

http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7025296820

Come on everybody! Send a drink to those poor vote-counters!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby [James] on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:22 am

Is it really a good idea to get the people counting the votes horrendously drunk?
[James]

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting [James] from 03:22, 2nd Nov 2007
Is it really a good idea to get the people counting the votes horrendously drunk?

Probably not. Well, not until they've finished counting at least.
Al

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:34 pm

i must say that the way these elections are being run is extremely shoddy. No advertising, no information online, no wednesday memo and no mention of it at all from the Union since last week.... Whos running it, Steve Savage? He needs to get his act together and get this stuff online asap

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 15:41, 1st Nov 2007
Speaking of the elections in March, would anyone care to make some wild, illegal and vicious suggestions as to who's-probably-going-to-run-for-what?

I'll get the ball rolling with Rory McLion for president.

Rob Fett for President
Tom Cahn for President
Ben Nicholson for DoR
Harry Giles for DoR
Zoe Gage for DoR

Veritably cretinous.

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Quoting from 17:57, 1st Nov 2007
Rob Fett for President
Tom Cahn for President
Ben Nicholson for DoR
Harry Giles for DoR
Zoe Gage for DoR

Veritably cretinous.

I'd have thought that Ben Nicholson would be more likely to go for President. That aside, what would be cretinous about any of those candidacies?
Al

Re:

Postby maenad on Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting from 14:43, 31st Oct 2007
i must say that the way these elections are being run is extremely shoddy. No advertising, no information online, no wednesday memo and no mention of it at all from the Union since last week.... Whos running it, Steve Savage? He needs to get his act together and get this stuff online asap

Er, it was in the Wednesday Memos on 24th October - admittedly halfway through nominations week, but that gave you three days to get your act together, and an email was sent out the week before. If you're going to ignore/opt out of such emails you can't really complain when you don't get notified about something :S. I agree that more info should have been made available online, but the SA's website is so bad that I get the impression people are unwilling to put anything up there.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:24 am

Well, I - along with, I am sure, many other people no longer at St Andrews - knew the elections were happening. I fail to see how anyone in St Andrews could not have known about them.
Al

Re:

Postby duckgirl on Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:12 pm

People might be vaguely aware they were happening but to find out any information it's near impossible.
Are the results posted up anywhere for example? nope...

Quoting Al from 09:24, 3rd Nov 2007
Well, I - along with, I am sure, many other people no longer at St Andrews - knew the elections were happening. I fail to see how anyone in St Andrews could not have known about them.
duckgirl

Re:

Postby classydriver on Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:19 pm

PG Senate Representative: Ashley Cole

SRC Member for Part-Time Students: Alex Hayes
SRC Member for Special Needs Students: Emma Arenson
SRC Member for Men's Issues: Scott Platton
SRC Member for International Students: Amjad Al-Dajani
SRC Member for Women's Issues: Molly Uzzell
SRC Member for Arts Faculty: Laura Wilkes
SRC Member for Science Faculty: Daniel Fisher
SRC Member for Medicine Faculty: Marc Locherty
SRC Member for Divinity Faculty: Marcus Anthony Mayo
SRC Member for First Year: Sam Fowles
SRC Member for JYA/JSA: Sanni Turuner
SRC Member for Absent Students: Harry Giles
SRC Member for Ethnic Minorities: Lukas Ross
SRC Member Without Portfolio: Martin Schmierer
SRC Member for Postgraduate Accommodation: Terry Fulton
SRC Member for University Accommodation: James Pollard & Emma Foley

SSC Postgraduate Officer: Derek Sparks
SSC Member From First Year: Ash Gupta
classydriver

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting duckgirl from 14:12, 3rd Nov 2007
People might be vaguely aware they were happening but to find out any information it's near impossible.

There was always the revolutionary idea of going to the Union to find out more information. It's how people would have acted before the advent of emails and the website.
Al

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:00 pm

Quoting Al from 14:51, 3rd Nov 2007
Quoting duckgirl from 14:12, 3rd Nov 2007

There was always the revolutionary idea of going to the Union to find out more information. It's how people would have acted before the advent of emails and the website.

Yes, but with the advent of emails and whatnot you'd think the information-dissemination process would have adjusted?

I don't think 'voters are too lazy' is quite the right excuse for a poor election campaign. It might be right itself, but I can't see it being productive!

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting Frank from 15:00, 3rd Nov 2007
Yes, but with the advent of emails and whatnot you'd think the information-dissemination process would have adjusted?

I'm not saying that they should not have adjusted. However, I don't think it unreasonable that people should be expected to act on their initiative. Especially if a person has a vague idea that elections are coming up and have had no official notification or information given.

I don't think 'voters are too lazy' is quite the right excuse for a poor election campaign. It might be right itself, but I can't see it being productive!

The poor organisation of elections is another matter. And it's one more thing that can probably be linked to the endless constitutional tinkerings that have so plagued the Association.
Al

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Simple really - if the candidates aren't excited enough to co-ordinate a public campaign then why should the voters get off their arses to vote for them? The reason turnout was so high in March was that a lot of candidates made the effort to publicise their campagns.

You only hear about general and local elections from the candidates and the news, not from the administrating authority (I don't even know who administers a general elction!).

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Daniel on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:48 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 15:29, 3rd Nov 2007
Simple really - if the candidates aren't excited enough to co-ordinate a public campaign then why should the voters get off their arses to vote for them?

Excuse me. They did.

Daniel
Daniel

Re:

Postby Lid on Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:48 pm

Quoting Daniel from 15:48, 3rd Nov 2007
Excuse me. They did.

Compared to the General, they really really didn't.

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:24 pm

Quoting Lid from 17:48, 3rd Nov 2007
Quoting Daniel from 15:48, 3rd Nov 2007
Excuse me. They did.

Compared to the General, they really really didn't.

[hr]

Having spent aound 11 hours in the Union on Friday, including an hour on a polling station, I'd say none of the candidates made anything like the effort seen in the March elections. Apathy begins at home, folks.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board