Home

TheSinner.net

The Crichton Review - Absolutely Fuming

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The Crichton Review - Absolutely Fuming

Postby Ruth on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:45 pm

Having submitted an old essay to be printed in the Crichton review, I am absolutely horrified at their treatment of it. It has been printed in the current issue and, with no acknowledgement, has been edited to a ridiculous extent. Random paragraphs and sentences have been added in, and the entire thing looks like it has been stuck through a thesaurus. Perfectly intelligent sentences have been altered with ‘big’ words and it reads like an pseudo-intellectual train wreck. I am absolutely fuming, it was a well-written, intellectual, essay in the first place, there was no need to try and make it sound intelligent. It is incredibly embarrassing to have my name printed on it; the thought of lecturers, people I really respect, associating it with me is quite frankly humiliating.
Anyone who reads it (not that I encourage you to buy it, for obvious reasons) please don’t judge me for it!
Ruth Venney
Ruth

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:28 am

What is the Crichton review?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Gealle on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:26 am

It's a book review series on Jurassic Park, I believe.

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting Ruth from 18:52, 29th Oct 2007
... with no acknowledgement ... incredibly embarrassing to have my name printed on it ...

Which is it?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Raindog on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting Gealle from 08:26, 30th Oct 2007
It's a book review series on Jurassic Park, I believe.

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...

Bet you are the life and soul of the party. That was really funny. I love you
Raindog

Re:

Postby [James] on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:02 pm

I don't know who in their right mind would want to read other people's undergrad essays. The whole concept of this society and its 'review' seems to be very much up its own arse, much like the Star FM show presented by its creators last semester.
[James]

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:41 pm

It's terrible how editors go around editing. Something should be done!
Al

Re:

Postby mhuzzell on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:28 pm

There's editing--cutting it down, streamlining it, etc.--and then there's making substantial changes to the text, which is what it sounds like they did to this person's essay. Even in the former sense, though, as it is an academic essay you'd expect that the editors would notify the submitter of any changes before sending it to print. I would be outraged, too, if that happened to something I had written.

[hr]

I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Re:

Postby Starla on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:35 pm

I'm sure both people that read it will be very upset at the omissions

[hr]

"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:46 pm

Quoting cain from 06:28, 30th Oct 2007
What is the Crichton review?

[hr]

It's a journal written "By students, for students" produced by the James Crichton society. First edition was released on Monday.

I think it's a nice idea actually. Though I'm sorry to hear that the editing has been a bit over-zealous.

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Frank on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:04 pm

A journal. A journal of what?

What topics, subjects? What level?

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:37 pm

Quoting Frank from 16:04, 1st Nov 2007
A journal. A journal of what?

What topics, subjects? What level?

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."

First issue had sections on History and Philosophy. It was written mostly by Undergraduates, though I believe there was at least one contribution from a lecturer.

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:34 pm

Quoting [James] from 18:02, 30th Oct 2007
I don't know who in their right mind would want to read other people's undergrad essays.

Nobody. Trust me, I do it for a living.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Could anyone tell me where I could get my hands on a copy of the review without paying? I just fancy a look through it, or alternatively perhaps someone could offer some feedback. Is it worth buying? ( Yes, I am incredibly tight but I am skint)

Return to The Sinner's Main Board