Home

TheSinner.net

Mornington Crescent, Round 2

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Mornington Crescent, Round 2

Postby somewhere only we know on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:58 pm

Clapham Common
somewhere only we know

Re:

Postby the_leish on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:16 pm

I don't get it...

[hr]

Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
the_leish

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:20 pm

now i've never fully understood the rules, but at peak times northern line takes you straight there....

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:25 pm

For someone who doesn't know the rules Niall you play them very well.

You leave me no choice but to envoke a rule last used in 1973 in a very tense match between the earl of shrewsbury and his closest friends, Wellington's Wonder, I believe it is called.

Elephant and Castle.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:36 pm

Tough, very tough. Well that's blocked off the Northern Parallel to me, and I'm leaving myself open to being huffed, but - St Pancreas.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Telinar on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:40 pm

Damn, gazzumped to it! Very well...in retaliation I'm going to be very...very harsh.

DOLLIS HILL
Telinar

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:47 pm

Quoting Telinar from 15:40, 8th Nov 2007
Damn, gazzumped to it! Very well...in retaliation I'm going to be very...very harsh.

DOLLIS HILL

Well there was no need for that was there, everyone is going to get stuck in the Dollis Hill loop.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting the_leish from 15:16, 8th Nov 2007
I don't get it...

A useful starting point for beginners is NF Stovold’s Mornington Crescent: Rules and Origins which is a relatively concise account of the history of Mornington Crescent, and some of the more common rules. Obviously this doesn't fully account for the regional variations, but will at least enable one to start playing. However, I'm not sure if this is still in print - the library used to have a copy however.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Telinar on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting Mr Comedy from 15:47, 8th Nov 2007
Quoting Telinar from 15:40, 8th Nov 2007

DOLLIS HILL

Well there was no need for that was there, everyone is going to get stuck in the Dollis Hill loop.

[hr]

They might...but there is a rule that can help them get out of it quickly. The fastest I've seen it implemented was within 3 moves ;)

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240
Telinar

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Before or after the Central Line has been quartered? I've been trying to figure it out on a piece of paper and I don't see it.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby chaffinch on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:20 pm

Well I think I see how you do it before the quartering - you'd have to change to southbound lines though, which is legally ambiguous I'll admit but it does allow one to play any 6th station on the Piccadilly line; in which case I'll take LEICESTER SQUARE.
chaffinch

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:49 pm

groan - Dollis Hill.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:22 pm

Ah! The time is fit for a terrorist attack! Back to Euston with ye!

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:02 pm

Well if you are going to play that doesn't that quarter Zone 2? That'd neatly get me out of the Dollis Hill Loop - Morden!

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Lid on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:05 pm

Morden's terribly risky to play this early in the game, surely - it leaves you open to a reverse deep level gating, so I'm going to go right ahead and capitalise on it, West Brompton

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:15 pm

Quoting Lid from 18:05, 8th Nov 2007
Morden's terribly risky to play this early in the game, surely - it leaves you open to a reverse deep level gating, so I'm going to go right ahead and capitalise on it, West Brompton

Needs must old boy - could you see me stuck at Dollis Hill all day? Any excuse to get out was gladly taken. If Gubbins hadn't played Euston which is admittedly a rookie mistake, given the outcome of the Provost v Stovold 1984 game. Quartering at this stage is an odd step, but who am I to complain?

Still, I have been left open to a gating (presumably I'm somewhat vunerable on a tranverse parallel from munchingfoo as well).

As Morden was a fairly weak positional play, I need to consolidate my position, and I think I'll strengthen my outer square. And I could take the opportunity to put Gubbins in Knid, so... Pentonville Road!

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:39 pm

Does Pentonville Road not invoke the reverse southerly traversal rule?

I pity he who ends up bunting because of that blunder, therefore...Turnpike Lane

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby RobFett on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:01 pm

I fancy afternoon tea at the Ritz so Green Park.
RobFett

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:19 pm

Ooh, tricky! Well, I feel like hearing a speech or two, so by means of a handy bilateral inversion, let's head over to Marble Arch.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Lid on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:26 pm

A cunning inversion, but as you'll notice, Bakerloo is high, so a through anomoly obviously makes fast Metropolitan trains to Zone 4 live. I hope nobody saw this coming, but Rayners Lane seems most appropriate at this time of the game.

[hr]

Lid

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board