Home

TheSinner.net

How sad

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

How sad

Postby Guest on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:33 pm

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:40 pm

People read the news of the world website? How sad.
[hr][s]I've seen this happen in other people's lives
and now it's happening in mine[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby ambigous on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:44 pm

Ho ho!
In the 2nd picture from the bottom you can see Price Will trying to steal the Indian from outside Good News!!
ambigous

Re:

Postby kensson on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:50 pm

He seems to be getting along like the rest of us with just a part-time private secretary.

[hr]My policy towards the USA remains one of regime change
kensson

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:15 pm

I think this incredibly important story about a young man shopping, walking and talking puts trivial issues like a looming war into perspective.

[hr]We are near waking when we dream we are dreaming.
Al

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:32 pm

i think william should be the current heir to the throne. after all Charles has divorced so it'd be a bit inappropriate for him to be king. i like the fact that if it did skip a generation (preferably whilst Charles is still alive) then it'd bring quite a tragic element to things.

if Charles became king then it'd just be a bit lame. chances are he'd only be king for a couple of years & that'd be it. if he isn't king ever then there'll he'll get more sympathy & have a good story to tell. i'd rather be the guy who was never king then the one who just conformed with some boring outdated tradition.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:34 pm

Wow, the News Of The World really has a handle on what is important. Maybe they'll do an article on the speed of paint drying.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:37 pm

[s]Blessed Benediction wrote on 17:32, 9th Mar 2003:
i think william should be the current heir to the throne. after all Charles has divorced so it'd be a bit inappropriate for him to be king. i like the fact that if it did skip a generation (preferably whilst Charles is still alive) then it'd bring quite a tragic element to things.

Given that Kings are, traditionally, the guys whose army killed the other guy's army, and that The Church of England (the church that the British monarch is the head of) was brought about specifically to let Henry VIII divorce and remarry, why then does Charles being divorced have any bearing on his suitability for King?
[hr][s]I've seen this happen in other people's lives
and now it's happening in mine[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

?!?

Postby Sabre13 on Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:39 pm

Inappropriate?
Tragic element to things?

Thats possibly the silliest post ive ever had the misfortune to read.
Sabre13

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:48 pm

no comment.

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Colin on Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:00 pm

[s]Blessed Benediction wrote on 17:48, 9th Mar 2003:
no comment.

A far more sensible post.
Colin

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:00 pm

sod it. i'll have a go at explaining my jumbled thoughts.

Henry VIII made up his own church so he could divorce & still be king & stuff. however, times have moved on & so i assumed that the Royal Family being a symbol of britain & an example (yes it does sound a bit funny these days) to the rest of britain/the world, wouldn't want to have a king that's broken his marriage vows.

as for the tragic bit. well it would be a bit sad for the guy whose spent so many years waiting to be king, not to ever be so. i think it'd be a bit tragic & a good story. kind of like the Ian Curtis of a modern royal family.

that was kind of where i was coming from.

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby ambigous on Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:14 pm

..only to have a future royal mince about St Andrews. shame.
ambigous

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:00 pm

I can't believe that you think it would be inappropriate for Charles to be King because he is divorced! Any other reason, i could accept (e.g. because he's a twat, because everyone hates him, etc etc). But because he's divorced?! Isn't that stance a bit antiquated? I know that a monarchy is not supposed to be representative, but is it not 40% of marriages that end in divorce? In which case, I think it is the case that divorce is morally acceptable in today's society... I mean that's like saying William can't be King because he's... I don't know, gay! Left-handed! (hypothetically speaking obviously) Actually, would a gay King be allowed???

[hr]If I gave a shit, you'd be the first person I'd give it to.
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:04 pm

A couple of kings have been poofters already. Edward II being the most famous
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:22 pm

it was kind of more that i wouldn't have thought even the royals themselves would have thought it appropriate. i think the notion found it's way into my head from some random media source. although i can still see it could have some relevance.

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:30 pm

Edward II wasn't *definitely* homosexual (pretty good chance though). He was definitely a bad king though.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Saint Sal on Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:02 pm

Gay Kings (or bisexual leaning more towards gay)

William II
Richard I *the Lionheart*
Edward II
James I & VI (as we are in Scotland...)
William III
Queen Anne

There's another one, but he's slipped my mind which is a bad thing as gay men never usually do that *grumps* No, hang on. It's Anne *puts in Anne*

It's not that strange to have a gay king, really. Royals throughout the ages have had far more sexually perverse lives than just being gay. Its the kings with the gimp helmets and the horse fetishes you've got to look out for

[hr]We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell
Saint Sal

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:17 pm

What are you basing this list on? I don't see how one can know, for sure, a person's sexuality so long after they lived. OK, Edward II almost certainly was gay but what evidence is there for Richard I? And Queen Anne had, what, 17 children? Hardly the most obvious example of "gay behaviour".

Although I am not one to be pedantic, as we're in Scotland it should be James VI and I and not the other way round. And it should be William II.

[hr]We are near waking when we dream we are dreaming.
Al

Re:

Postby Curiosity Killed the Cat on Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:26 am

Don't you find it slightly ironic that News of the World is running a story about how Prince William is able to blend in like all the rest of us up here and act like a normal guy and how he has his privacy up here while they run a full page spread with his photo flashed around everywhere?????
P.S. I'm getting alittle sick of these photos of St Andrews students cropping up in the papers - I think we should have our own game where we run around town hunting down the photographers and taking photos of them. If enough people do it I'm sure the photographers will be really grateful of the fact that they won't be able to go out in public without someone snapping their photo!!!
Curiosity Killed the Cat

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board