Home

TheSinner.net

Union Question Time

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Union Question Time

Postby James Shield on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:40 pm

Tuesday 4th December // 7.30pm // St Salvators Hall Common Room

[l]
[li]What's going on with the library?
[li]Why did the Union make a loss last year?
[li]What happened at Uni Hall?
[li]What will happen to Fife Park?
[li]Why wasn't the pro-life society at the societies fair?
[li]How can we better integrate the Chinese community?
[li]Should the University go green, and how?
[li]Why do I have to pay tuition fees but my European friends don't?
[li]Is coursework anonymisation happening?
[li]What impact will the SNP's first budget have on the University?
[/l]

And more to the point, what are the people you elected in March actually going to do about it?

Come along and ask the questions that concern you - all of the sabbaticals will be there, as will the other elected members of the Students' Representative Council.

Oh, and don't be put off by the fact it's in Sallies - we're currently touring round the halls and it just happened that we're there next week. Anyone can come along.

How to get in to Sallies: go down the provate drive next to Younger Hall on North Street - the main door right ahead of you is the main entrance to Sallies. We'll make sure someone is there to guide you to the common room.
James Shield

Anonymising coursework

Postby Midget on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:41 pm

Even if, and I say if, it is beneficial in any meaningful way, how the hell is it possible in most subjects. Unless everyone has the same bland way of answering the question and it is completely at odds with what they say in tutorial or maybe they don't speak in tutorials. What about the common threads running through many people's work, what about building on past ideas, essays are not stand alone things they represent part of abody of work you produce at Uni.

Looking back I assume I have the wrong end of the stick and this anonymisation is applied only to sciences, but then how would that work with practicals -the tutor closes their eyes while the experiments go on.

I'm really confused.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg new shite
http://edinburgh.threeweeks.co.uk/brows ... 44&cnt=all
Midget

Re:

Postby RobFett on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Obviously anonomisation isn't possible in some cases - presentations and disertations for example. However it is possible in many cases. Having spoken to tutors about this, they are very for anonymisation and believe it will give you a more accurate and unbiased mark which is based upon your particular essay and not on you as an individual. For instance, they would not be tempted to give a lower mark to someone who had written a really good essay even though they were rubbish in tutorials. Some tutors have tried out anonymisation and say that even when they could, if they wanted to, work out whose essay it was, they didn't actually think about it, and so their marking was still unbiased.

Extensive feedback will still be given on the essay by de-anonymising once the work has been marked so that personal comments can be made.

Academic Council passed a policy on anonymisation, so it should come into effect at the start of next semester or next academic year.

Rob Fett
SRC Education Officer
Science/Medicine Senate Representative
RobFett

Tonight // 7.30pm // Sallies Common Room

Postby James Shield on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:13 pm

This is just a reminder that the Union Question Time event will be taking place tonight. Come along and ask the questions you want answered!
James Shield

Re:

Postby Edinburgh Boy on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Union making a loss - that's interesting. Do we know why? It was always pretty good at making a trading surplus in days of yore.
Edinburgh Boy

Re:

Postby schmod on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting Edinburgh Boy from 17:56, 4th Dec 2007
Re: Union making a loss - that's interesting. Do we know why? It was always pretty good at making a trading surplus in days of yore.

I recall hearing that they came up a bit short, because they had a bunch of extra one-time expenses this year, and bar sales weren't as good as hoped.
schmod

Return to The Sinner's Main Board